• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter WX Winter 2020/2021

Do you think this winter is going to continue the crazyness of 2020 or do we finally break free?

• Total voters

Jacob

Reaction score
DIdn't we use to have a poster that lived in Boone, NC? I've been watching the snow fall up that way on a couple webcams this morning.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
DIdn't we use to have a poster that lived in Boone, NC? I've been watching the snow fall up that way on a couple webcams this morning.
I recall Tyler Penland is just south of Boone at Blowing Rock.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Snowing nicely on the Ober Gatlinburg webcams. Its been a good winter for them up there so far.

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
So...what’s everyone’s take on Monday? Jackson NWS has sounded the “winter weather” alarms for those of us in North Mississippi.
For the specific area you list as your location, like much of Alabama, you are going to be fighting warm air advection with this one. Having said that, there is still potential for accumulating snow (an inch or more) in your area. It's just very tricky and currently iffy because of warm air advection. ANY trend cooler at all would increase your chances significantly. But for overall north Mississippi, especially north of you, back into west Mississippi.... I don't see how those areas will be able to miss an accumulating snow that may trigger winter storm watches and warnings versus winter weather advisories.

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
I recall Tyler Penland is just south of Boone at Blowing Rock.

Good memory. I've actually moved over west just a little near Banner Elk. We managed about 4.5" today and 6" back on Christmas. Been a good couple weeks and a pretty good winter so far. We definitely had more fall from the sky today but even we were up above freezing this afternoon without a good cold air source.

The ski resorts are loving it.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looking forward to a little snow in NW Arkansas this afternoon/evening. I have to admit I was a little let down last year when I moved here because we only had one small snow event. This year we have had 3 or 4 and none of them bad enough to cause any major issues. To me that is the perfect winter event. It looks pretty and that amazing sound of walking on snow but with power and the ability to go to the store if needed.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
For the specific area you list as your location, like much of Alabama, you are going to be fighting warm air advection with this one. Having said that, there is still potential for accumulating snow (an inch or more) in your area. It's just very tricky and currently iffy because of warm air advection. ANY trend cooler at all would increase your chances significantly. But for overall north Mississippi, especially north of you, back into west Mississippi.... I don't see how those areas will be able to miss an accumulating snow that may trigger winter storm watches and warnings versus winter weather advisories.

We had the most snow since 2004 here in the Austin area. From 1 1/2 inches downtown to 3-4 inches here in northwestern Williamson County,

Attachments

• 63200033611__0A10E64B-FEA2-4486-95E0-F88F73C87684.jpeg
    63200033611__0A10E64B-FEA2-4486-95E0-F88F73C87684.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Soooo is it (snow) happening for y’all??

Gail

Reaction score
Fun snow day for us. The flakes are humongous. I’ve never seen snow like this before. :)

Attachments

• BDC0C40D-A3FF-4A91-9C8B-19758B14D6C2.jpeg
    BDC0C40D-A3FF-4A91-9C8B-19758B14D6C2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 04499792-1EDF-4512-995A-A563803D1561.jpeg
    04499792-1EDF-4512-995A-A563803D1561.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 30F092CA-89AA-4054-B85F-AAA8DAE36788.jpeg
    30F092CA-89AA-4054-B85F-AAA8DAE36788.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 0877F678-4330-4217-913B-A5371E05D875.jpeg
    0877F678-4330-4217-913B-A5371E05D875.jpeg
    936.7 KB · Views: 0

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think we ended up with about 1.5 inches. We had some melting and inconsitent snow rates but that's about what I scraped off my car to come to work. It's still snowing. Temps are a couple degrees above freezing now, but I wouldn't be suprised to see some refreezing tonight if the temps go down into the upper 20s.

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice to see some folks getting in on the snow. We have a fresh dusting on top of the old. Still occasional snow showers coming through. Major model bust for extreme NE GA into SW NC (Maggie valley/Waynesville area) with a lot more moisture than expected. We weren't even expecting flurries up here in Boone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jacob

Reaction score
Good memory. I've actually moved over west just a little near Banner Elk. We managed about 4.5" today and 6" back on Christmas. Been a good couple weeks and a pretty good winter so far. We definitely had more fall from the sky today but even we were up above freezing this afternoon without a good cold air source.

The ski resorts are loving it.

Stopped by Sugar Mountain for a few hours yesterday evening, I was impressed by the amount of snow on the ground in the Banner Elk/Grandfather Mtn areas. That's such a fun drive through that area when there's snow covering the ground.

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
Stopped by Sugar Mountain for a few hours yesterday evening, I was impressed by the amount of snow on the ground in the Banner Elk/Grandfather Mtn areas. That's such a fun drive through that area when there's snow covering the ground.
Yeah you came close by the house then. We've still got a lot in the shaded spots but anywhere that's had sun the past couple days has finally melted. Part of my driveway hasn't thawed in over a week. What has thawed is a muddy mess. I know parts of Beech have had snow on the ground for well over a month.

Got some good NWFS coming the next few days to give a nice fresh coat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Logo 468x120
Back