• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Weather Banter

Avon

Reaction score
Didn't Even get a frickin thunderstorm in Detroit
Yet another severe weather event failed to materialize for Detroit even when nearly all the models showed Detroit getting hit .

So sick of getting missed to the west while Grand Rapids gets all the big storms every year.

This severe weather season for Detroit is absolute trash like the past 3 years have been, maybe longer.
I'm over this spit!!!

Avon

Reaction score
This pattern is absolute trash!!! Screw Zone right over southeast Michigan. We might end up in a drought with brown grass soon if this pattern keeps being stupid.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
We've got our first heat advisory coming up this weekend -- it's nothing compared to what you all have been dealing with, but there are unexpected risks over here.

Every year, Portland has to include something along these lines in their first statement or two:

Rivers are running cold and fast, and will continue to do so this weekend. Nearly every year, people die in rivers in southwest Washington and northwest Oregon due to cold water shock during the season`s first heat wave. Hot temperatures can make the cool water seem tempting, but river temperatures in the 50s can easily result in cold water shock that can kill in minutes.

This is hard to understand for people who have just lived through several months of 30s-50s weather with 80-90+% humidity without a problem.

But boom -- here we are now in the Mediterranean-style summer. On land, anyway.

MikeP

Reaction score
Could someone have a look at the GFS and Euro for the end of next week? We're headed to Orange Beach Tuesday and the forecast looks horrible. Sucks. I know the models diverge a bit at the end of the period, but can't interpret the scenarios. If anyone would like to analyze things from Tuesday through Sunday for me that would be helpful. Regardless of 'low' development, it looks REALLY wet to me. I'm looking for caveats in our potential favor though lol. TIA....

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yet Another Miss........
Southeast Michigan is becoming a desert with more fail attempts to try to rain on the way smh
Send your address and I'll stick some in an envelope and mail it to you :rolleyes: We've got the opposite here; 4-5 days ago this was going to be scorching hot and dry but we're back to the norm of too hot and too humid with some afternoon storms- typical late July for us and I ain't complaining- yet. Real Southerners don't moan about the heat till September ;)

Phil

Avon

Reaction score
Been trying to sign up on americanwx.com but they never send me a confirmation email which really sucks, they also use to have it where guest to join the forum but they must have stopped that. I would be on that site if not for the email problem. Anyone else have an issue with signing up on americanwx.com?

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Been trying to sign up on americanwx.com but they never send me a confirmation email which really sucks, they also use to have it where guest to join the forum but they must have stopped that. I would be on that site if not for the email problem. Anyone else have an issue with signing up on americanwx.com?
@CheeselandSkies is a member there- tagging him 4 U.

Phil

Avon

Reaction score
Rant:
This easily has to be one of the most pathetic severe weather seasons for Detroit. Everything from the west crapped the bed, And nearly every big system missed us north, west, south or east. Shoot we still have a moderate drought in Michigan despite the weather gods finally decided to give us some rain. I honestly don't know how much longer I can be here if this boring weather continues in 2023 & 2024. Even Arizona is getting more storms than Detroit! Just pathetic

Jacob

Reaction score
So it's been a hot summer here in the Salt Lake area per their standards, though it's been the "coolest" feeling summer I've ever lived through when you compare it to an Alabama summer.

Unfortunately, it appears the temperature record at the SLC airport might be tainted by the construction at the airport. I'm not exactly sure when they moved the thermometer, but it's surrounded by gravel and asphalt now, and is basically always the warmest temperature around. There's been a ton of headlines about "most 100 degree days in SLC history" because of the airport record, I'm just not sure it's an apples to apples comparison. I actually live up near Ogden, and we have a long term temperature record at the airport here as well. I'm doing some digging to see if my suspicions are correct.

akt1985

Reaction score
I wonder if the NWS office in Peachtree City can handle all these flash flood warnings across most of Georgia right now since the CWA covers almost all counties in Georgia.

wasatch

Reaction score
So it's been a hot summer here in the Salt Lake area per their standards, though it's been the "coolest" feeling summer I've ever lived through when you compare it to an Alabama summer.

Unfortunately, it appears the temperature record at the SLC airport might be tainted by the construction at the airport. I'm not exactly sure when they moved the thermometer, but it's surrounded by gravel and asphalt now, and is basically always the warmest temperature around. There's been a ton of headlines about "most 100 degree days in SLC history" because of the airport record, I'm just not sure it's an apples to apples comparison. I actually live up near Ogden, and we have a long term temperature record at the airport here as well. I'm doing some digging to see if my suspicions are correct.
Hello fellow Utahn! Yeah, I've heard the same questions about the location of the temperature recordings being moved at SLC, not sure as to how much it's impacted the numbers either, but I can say having lived my whole life here (49 y/o) the summers are noticeably hotter, even than 10-20 years ago, the last several have been particularly bad... I'll be curious what you find.

Back