• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Weather Banter

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Sounds like the cyclone that hit Mozambique and Zimbabwe has caused pretty significant damage and loss of life: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-47595863
You know looking at those images and reading that story I think about how much we as Americans take our infrastructure and building codes for granted especially when you figure out it came ashore as a Cat 2. That flooding is horrible.

Daryl

Reaction score
Anyone else intrigued by the 2019 update to Significant Tornadoes, set to print and release in I think 2021? I sincerely hope Grazulis is able to successfully finish this master work... The Big Green Book only goes through 1991 (with an update to 1995)
I can't wait!

Daryl

Reaction score
I hate to admit this but I had never heard of the book.
4480973.jpg

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I hate to admit this but I had never heard of the book. However $170 and $188!?!

Amazon product ASIN 1879362015 Amazon product ASIN 1879362007

I paid well over $200 for my copy so that's actually a little better than it used to be lmao. But that's since it's long out of print as he apparently lost the master copy. New printing is likely to be well under $200 but it's absolutely worth it imo... if any book is going to be worth that much to begin with

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The news from Cyclone Idai is really bad. Probably over 1,000 deaths in Mozambique alone. This is potentially a Maria-level disaster unfolding in a part of the world that's even less equipped to deal with it than PR was.

Last edited:

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah, I was totally unaware of this fact...

"The Missouri River’s overflowing banks cut off roads leading to the Cooper nuclear plant, near Brownville, Nebraska, forcing operators to fly in staff and supplies by helicopter. The plant continued to operate safely, its operator said."

Yikes!

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I just get my news from online sources, so maybe that's a bias, but I was a little bummed to have to go to an overseas source (Reuters) to see front-page details of this historic flooding: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ary-bases-cut-off-nuclear-plant-idUSKCN1QZ0XV

Hope everyone in harm's way comes through this safely and with their stuff intact.

It is sad that our Media is not covering this story. I understand there is news going on everywhere but isn't home more important than what is happening next door?

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It is sad that our Media is not covering this story. I understand there is news going on everywhere but isn't home more important than what is happening next door?
I don’t think it has to be a zero-sum thing. After all, the biggest weather story of the moment (in terms of numbers of people affected) is in southern Africa. I do think most mass media outlets could do a better job covering weather-related stories more generally, but that’s a discussion for another time and place.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it has to be a zero-sum thing. After all, the biggest weather story of the moment (in terms of numbers of people affected) is in southern Africa. I do think most mass media outlets could do a better job covering weather-related stories more generally, but that’s a discussion for another time and place.

This is one of those times when I've been watching the Weather Channel beyond the "8's." Good ice-floe footage, though it's heart-breaking to see houses crushed by ice. And I learned that a major contributor to the problem is rain-on-snow pack flooding. Still getting acquainted with Oregon weather history, but I did learn recently that this has contributed to bad spring floods here, too (including where I live). This year, apparently, we lucked out; the Midwest, not so much.

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted over here but decent chance of wraparound snow here in WNC behind the big nor'easter Friday. Winter not giving up just yet. Been pretty crappy overall since our big 16-18" event back in December but at least it ain't 90.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
While I'm thinking about it... does anyone have ABC 33/40's April 27th DVD they put out in ~2012? I'm starting to think it's mythical because both my copy and my grandparents' copy have been lost for over half a decade now, though I remember very well the day I got them and watched. I even emailed the station years ago and they don't have any more copies. I have Channel 6's DVD in my weather DVD collection but 33/40's DVD continues to elude me. Would love to get a rip of it someday if I EVER find anyone who has a copy still ahaha

On another note, can you believe it's been almost eight years now

jmills

Reaction score
While I'm thinking about it... does anyone have ABC 33/40's April 27th DVD they put out in ~2012? I'm starting to think it's mythical because both my copy and my grandparents' copy have been lost for over half a decade now, though I remember very well the day I got them and watched. I even emailed the station years ago and they don't have any more copies. I have Channel 6's DVD in my weather DVD collection but 33/40's DVD continues to elude me. Would love to get a rip of it someday if I EVER find anyone who has a copy still ahaha

I have a copy somewhere around my house. When I find it I'll be happy to make you a copy.

Kory

Reaction score

That's how I feel about Hurricane Katrina. It seems like ages ago. Time will forever be measured as before and after...permanently changing the city in every way imaginable. Quite impressionable on a tween, like myself, at the time. Might be singlehandedly the most life-altering event I've been through.

Logo 468x120
Back