• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Title of this one will probably have to be changed to Marco in a few hours, but I figured I'd go ahead and get it started.

1597936533803.png

Kory

Reaction score
Well, Marco has intensified nicely overnight. Partial eyeball observed by recon...and it's on the far eastern edge of guidance. I would think that would have larger implications with the ridge and weakness Laura will follow later. Models still don't have a good grasp.

Evan

Reaction score
Well, Marco has intensified nicely overnight. Partial eyeball observed by recon...and it's on the far eastern edge of guidance. I would think that would have larger implications with the ridge and weakness Laura will follow later. Models still don't have a good grasp.

On Cuban radar you can also see the eyewall forming.

Kory

Reaction score
Closed eyewall on Marco. That means a whole new ballgame with regards to ridge strength. Everything is shift East on both storms. Louisiana is clearly the bullseye for both...right now.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The GFS brings both right into southern LA. Marco over New Orleans on Monday morning then a much stronger Laura further west on Thursday night. Not taking it literally at this range of course but obviously still a serious concern.

Jetstream

Reaction score
For Marco......Hurricane watch now up from Intercoastal City La eastward to Miss/Ala border.
Big shift eastward on this update.

Last edited:

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
1598207994462.png

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Weird track... What are they seeing?1598235937830.png

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, downgraded.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I think the shear is getting to the better of him, appears to be really struggling on the satellite imagery. HWRF and GFS agree on the weakening trend with the latest HWRF showing some minor reintensification prior to landfall but nothing major. I'd not completely disregard this system given the trend of things but I don't see much potential for a strength at/beyond cat 1 given the environment and forward speed.
That said, small tropical systems are less predicable and can intensify quite rapidly right?

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Weird track... What are they seeing?View attachment 4433
When weaker, Marco feels the westward flow more (not mine: my understanding of Levi's discussion at Tropical Tidbits yesterday). But Marco could strengthen again in the meantime and resist it. Tough for forecasters!

There's a comment in the current NHC discussion that it's not impossible that Marco may not make landfall. This seems unlikely, but I sure hate to think of even a weak storm just sitting off the coast.

If that does occur, Marco will be farther west, out of incoming Laura's path, right?

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
When weaker, Marco feels the westward flow more (not mine: my understanding of Levi's discussion at Tropical Tidbits yesterday). But Marco could strengthen again in the meantime and resist it. Tough for forecasters!

There's a comment in the current NHC discussion that it's not impossible that Marco may not make landfall. This seems unlikely, but I sure hate to think of even a weak storm just sitting off the coast.

If that does occur, Marco will be farther west, out of incoming Laura's path, right?

Honestly, I'm questioning the west turn.

Back