• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Top 10 AL Weather Events?

akt1985

Reaction score
Looks like it was roughly 1.5 miles north of the Goshen UMC

Dang that’s close. I’m not sure if Wednesday evening services were being held at Goshen UMC on 4/27/11 but I did read the Church was a staging area for disaster relief after the 2011 tornado.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Honorable Mention: Brent, AL ‘73
May 27, 1973 was a red letter day in the annals of Alabama severe weather events. A number of tornadoes touched down across north and central sections of the state that day. The largest and most violent of these would become known as the Brent Tornado. This storm had its beginning just northeast of Demopolis. It went on to cause damage in Greensboro, Brent, Centreville, Montevallo, Calera, Columbiana, Wilsonville, Childersburg, Alpine, and points between. The monster storm finally dissipated near Anniston, on the western slope of Mt. Cheaha. The tornado was on the ground an incredible 139 miles. The Brent Tornado was and remains the longest track tornado in Alabama recorded history. It is the sixth longest track tornado of record in U.S. history.

Bamamuscle

Reaction score
In the same vein as Lori’s post I think the November 15, 1989 Huntsville tornado deserves an honorable mention also due to the time of day and where it hit in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Honorable Mention: Brent, AL ‘73
May 27, 1973 was a red letter day in the annals of Alabama severe weather events. A number of tornadoes touched down across north and central sections of the state that day. The largest and most violent of these would become known as the Brent Tornado. This storm had its beginning just northeast of Demopolis. It went on to cause damage in Greensboro, Brent, Centreville, Montevallo, Calera, Columbiana, Wilsonville, Childersburg, Alpine, and points between. The monster storm finally dissipated near Anniston, on the western slope of Mt. Cheaha. The tornado was on the ground an incredible 139 miles. The Brent Tornado was and remains the longest track tornado in Alabama recorded history. It is the sixth longest track tornado of record in U.S. history.

wasn't this the one that went dangerously close to the old radar?

Tennie

Reaction score
Last edited:

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
wasn't this the one that went dangerously close to the old radar?
Yes, the radar and weather service were hit by the tornado.

“At that time, a NOAA WSR-57 radar station was located on Alabama Hwy25, southwest of Brent, and just west of Highway 5. The designation of the station was Centreville Radar. Late that Sunday afternoon, NWS staff at the site detected a tornado forming in Demopolis. State Troopers reported sighting the storm to the Birmingham Forecast Office located at 11 West Oxmoor Road. Tornado warnings were issued up-stream. Centreville Radar itself would become a large part of the story when the tornado struck the facility, ripping away the roof and blowing the radar antenna from its tower. The familiar white dome that covered the antenna simply vanished.”

A great article about that event:
https://brenttornado.wordpress.com/

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
In the same vein as Lori’s post I think the November 15, 1989 Huntsville tornado deserves an honorable mention also due to the time of day and where it hit in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree!!!!!

Back