• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Svr Wx threat April 1-April 2 2024

Reaction score
Was a high-profile, High Risk day for AL, but we were on the edge of the risk, which had gotten trimmed down just before it hit.
I do wonder what it would take for the SPC to go with the dreaded 60% hatched area for violent tornadoes. I know it has happened once in 200ybut that was before the EF-SCALE started being used.

Reaction score
Cookville is the most recent freak example of a violent tornado happening in a very marginal threat day.
Never will that instance not be insane.

Winterset, IA 2022 (although that only really appeared marginal in the days leading up to it, SPC did introduce a 10% contour during one of the Day 1 updates prior to the event).

One thing I'm learning is how important lapse rates and 3CAPE are.

I do wonder what it would take for the SPC to go with the dreaded 60% hatched area for violent tornadoes. I know it has happened once in 200ybut that was before the EF-SCALE started being used.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised they didn't use it on 4/27/11. Maybe simply the then relatively fresh (5 years) memory of the fact that the one time they had used it previously (4/7/2006) didn't really live up to being that bad (it was still a substantial outbreak, but would have been adequately covered by a "normal" high risk (30% hatched).

KevinH

Reaction score
Well we are gonna throw this right back to you bc….
Angry Oh No GIF by CBC

Reaction score
Winterset, IA 2022 (although that only really appeared marginal in the days leading up to it, SPC did introduce a 10% contour during one of the Day 1 updates prior to the event).

One thing I'm learning is how important lapse rates and 3CAPE are.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised they didn't use it on 4/27/11. Maybe simply the then relatively fresh (5 years) memory of the fact that the one time they had used it previously (4/7/2006) didn't really live up to being that bad (it was still a substantial outbreak, but would have been adequately covered by a "normal" high risk (30% hatched).
I know April 14, 2012 was very close as well. There was a 45% hatched area for violent tornadoes from S Central Kansas to like Central Nebraska. It didn't perform as well as others thought but it still was at least a high-end moderate risk or low-end high risk.

Back