• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Space Thread

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Launching now

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Massive set back for SpaceX over the weekend as they were conducting a test on the dragon crew capsule and it exploded. This was the same capsule that flew to the ISS and made a safe return last month. They were testing the rockets on the capsule that would ignite in the event there was a problem with the main booster and push the capsule away to abort the flight. SpaceX isn't saying much. They were planing to conduct that mission abort test with this capsule over the summer.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like that setback has Elon scaling back his ambitions a bit.

I often think that Elon and I have the same mindset. My mind runs wild with ideas when looking at the simplest things. I'm willing to bet they were discussing something with the air system and his mind went down the rabbit hole and now we are talking about leafblowers. LOL

In other news, I believe Tesla's earnings call is tomorrow.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Per Reuters, "How to Capture A Rocket," with sound file. Guess they'll be set up tomorrow, too!
That is an awesome article. I've served as media at several launches including the very first SpaceX ISS resupply mission. It is quite a show. Love when they post stuff like that.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
SpaceX’s 60 Starlink satellites flew over tonight and it was the coolest thing ever. Here are the ten day tracks. A few more great chances over the next few days. Quite the show.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Today's good-news factoid:

...there’s no reason to worry about water bears taking over the moon.

Source

But that this is a real-world concern (not to mention the fact that they could be brought back and revived) is fascinating.

Forrest White

Reaction score
As for me the most incredible thing that has already been done in space - is the launch of the space station. Just imagine - the flying object on the Earth orbit which is there for more than 20 years. But most of all, how much experiments proceed there. The main reason for the existence of the ISS is to be a unique scientific laboratory. The ISS has five scientific modules belonging to different countries: Russia has two minimal modules, the Destiny module is used by the Americans; the Columbus module is for European studies and the recently added Kibo module is from Japan and contains a platform for operation in leaky conditions.

Reactions: KoD

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
RIP

I want to see if we could build a Venus rover with modern technology. The idea has been sort of neglected since the Venera program ended and obviously it’s not easy to sustain a machine at 90 atm but there’s still a ton of interesting geological and atmospheric work to be done.

This news will boost chances of funding for surface exploration. It's an incredibly harsh environment down there, though.

Here are the before/after caldera images.

Logo 468x120
Back