• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Significant Tropical Cyclones

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
This classic near miss footage from Typhoon Omar in Guam in 1992, this was in many a documentary when I was growing up:

Side note, another clip I've been trying to find but had no luck in years....it also showed up in National Geographic documentaries back in the 90s and early 2000s, it was from a tropical cyclone and the clip showed a small shed or outbuilding (likely for boat storage) being tumbled across a parking lot wholly intact. If anyone has a clue what I'm talking about, help me out please.

I think you're referring to this

It comes from Typhoon Mireille in 1991, I remember having seen it on "Destroy In Seconds"

buckeye05

Reaction score
This classic near miss footage from Typhoon Omar in Guam in 1992, this was in many a documentary when I was growing up:

Side note, another clip I've been trying to find but had no luck in years....it also showed up in National Geographic documentaries back in the 90s and early 2000s, it was from a tropical cyclone and the clip showed a small shed or outbuilding (likely for boat storage) being tumbled across a parking lot wholly intact. If anyone has a clue what I'm talking about, help me out please.

Edit: Nvm it's Typhoon Mireille

locomusic01

Reaction score
Regarding Australian cyclones: I found the following reference (see p. 322) to an extremely low MSLP reading in Cossack, Western Australia, during the passage of a cyclone on 7 January 1881. According to the Monthly Weather Review, a minimum reading of 914 mb (27”)—possibly rounded—was measured there. The BoM provides some further information about this cyclone: “Sixteen people died as all but one large schooner either foundered or was washed ashore. Parts of the coastline were completely changed and two lines of sand hills were eroded away, indications of a significant storm surge. So this seems to have been a very intense system, especially for its latitude and longitude, but for some reason there is very little information about it.
I think that's the same cyclone I encountered while researching Mahina:

EvwBeh4XEAIRnXI

buckeye05

Reaction score
Just found what is without the most violent, incredible eyewall footage that I have ever seen by far. It's from Hurricane Dorian in Marsh Harbor. It may look familiar, as a shorter version of this video was on YouTube before the uploader took it down and replaced it with this extended watermarked version. Strangely enough, the user edited out the most intense winds in the initial shorter version. I know some people say being in the eyewall of a cat 4 or 5 hurricane is like having a stationary strong/violent tornado parked on top of you, and I suspect it's usually a bit of hyperbole, but this time I'd say that description fits. Simply jaw dropping.

Edit: well the user doesn't allow embedded videos. Search for Jimmy Yunge on YouTube. It's the only video on his channel

Reaction score
Just found what is without the most violent, incredible eyewall footage that I have ever seen by far. It's from Hurricane Dorian in Marsh Harbor. It may look familiar, as a shorter version of this video was on YouTube before the uploader took it down and replaced it with this extended watermarked version. Strangely enough, the user edited out the most intense winds in the initial shorter version. I know some people say being in the eyewall of a cat 4 or 5 hurricane is like having a stationary strong/violent tornado parked on top of you, and I suspect it's usually a bit of hyperbole, but this time I'd say that description fits. Simply jaw dropping.

Edit: well the user doesn't allow embedded videos. Search for Jimmy Yunge on YouTube. It's the only video on his channel

8:45 or so in the video is when things really get crazy and stay that way for about 10 minutes or so, amazed how those palm trees manage to stay uprooted the whole time.

pohnpei

Reaction score

The short clip on ins definitely showed the most violent winds during his shooting, which was between 12:07-25. Winds likely very near C5 level(southwest eyewall).
Some of the strongest eyewall footage came from Haiyan in guiuan in my opinion. One footage used can be found on youtube shoot inside Immaculate Concepcion Hospital in Guiuan, despite some protect from the hill west of the city, winds was still mindblowing in this footage.
The footage shoot at the most west side of Mexico Beach was really impressive. Likely near C5 level winds combined with the insane storm surge didn't give buildings around a chance.
The famous security footage in St.martin from Irma also likely captured winds near C5 level.

buckeye05

Reaction score
The short clip on ins definitely showed the most violent winds during his shooting, which was between 12:07-25. Winds likely very near C5 level(southwest eyewall).
Some of the strongest eyewall footage came from Haiyan in guiuan in my opinion. One footage used can be found on youtube shoot inside Immaculate Concepcion Hospital in Guiuan, despite some protect from the hill west of the city, winds was still mindblowing in this footage.
The footage shoot at the most west side of Mexico Beach was really impressive. Likely near C5 level winds combined with the insane storm surge didn't give buildings around a chance.
The famous security footage in St.martin from Irma also likely captured winds near C5 level.
I’m unable to find the Conception Hospital footage of Haiyan and I really want to see it. Could you link it or tell me what to search to find it?

pohnpei

Reaction score
I’m unable to find the Conception Hospital footage of Haiyan and I really want to see it. Could you link it or tell me what to search to find it?
The uploader already took down the video from youtube and I have no permission to reupload It, so I send It to your gmail.You can check it.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of the homes that were slabbed by Dorian's eyewall winds alone? I know that this phenomenon was reported in the worst hit areas, and there were at least a few judging by some aerial videos I've seen, and I remember one ground level photo showing an anchor bolted house with its foundation swept clean, despite not being affected by storm surge, taken in Marsh Harbour if I remember correctly. It was being shared on twitter the day after Dorian, and I should have saved it.

Edit: Ok I think I may have found some, but I can't be positive that wind alone was involved with any of these. None of these are the one I'm thinking of either.
bahamas-201909-msackett-0016.jpg

5347.jpg

r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

2H7YIHGQ7EI6TNAROU6WI4YVUA.jpg

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
Here's another hurricane video that is downright terrifying. Its of Cat 5 eyewall winds from Hurricane Irma in Anguilla. Watch the whole thing, I don't want to spoil it for you. Makes me shudder thinking about anyone who would have been standing in the wrong spot when this happened.

Edit: video won't embed, search for the user name dokgold, with the video title being "Hurricane Irma In Anguilla"

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of the homes that were slabbed by Dorian's eyewall winds alone? I know that this phenomenon was reported in the worst hit areas, and there were at least a few judging by some aerial videos I've seen, and I remember one ground level photo showing an anchor bolted house with its foundation swept clean, despite not being affected by storm surge, taken in Marsh Harbour if I remember correctly. It was being shared on twitter the day after Dorian, and I should have saved it.

Edit: Ok I think I may have found some, but I can't be positive that wind alone was involved with any of these. None of these are the one I'm thinking of either.
bahamas-201909-msackett-0016.jpg

5347.jpg

r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

2H7YIHGQ7EI6TNAROU6WI4YVUA.jpg
Where did you find these photos?

Back