• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We would love for you to become a part of our community.
    Take a moment to look around and join the discussion.
    CLICK HERE TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Significant Tropical Cyclones (1 Viewer)

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
This classic near miss footage from Typhoon Omar in Guam in 1992, this was in many a documentary when I was growing up:

Side note, another clip I've been trying to find but had no luck in years....it also showed up in National Geographic documentaries back in the 90s and early 2000s, it was from a tropical cyclone and the clip showed a small shed or outbuilding (likely for boat storage) being tumbled across a parking lot wholly intact. If anyone has a clue what I'm talking about, help me out please.
I think you're referring to this
It comes from Typhoon Mireille in 1991, I remember having seen it on "Destroy In Seconds"

buckeye05

Reaction score
This classic near miss footage from Typhoon Omar in Guam in 1992, this was in many a documentary when I was growing up:

Side note, another clip I've been trying to find but had no luck in years....it also showed up in National Geographic documentaries back in the 90s and early 2000s, it was from a tropical cyclone and the clip showed a small shed or outbuilding (likely for boat storage) being tumbled across a parking lot wholly intact. If anyone has a clue what I'm talking about, help me out please.
Edit: Nvm it's Typhoon Mireille

locomusic01

Reaction score
Regarding Australian cyclones: I found the following reference (see p. 322) to an extremely low MSLP reading in Cossack, Western Australia, during the passage of a cyclone on 7 January 1881. According to the Monthly Weather Review, a minimum reading of 914 mb (27”)—possibly rounded—was measured there. The BoM provides some further information about this cyclone: “Sixteen people died as all but one large schooner either foundered or was washed ashore. Parts of the coastline were completely changed and two lines of sand hills were eroded away, indications of a significant storm surge. So this seems to have been a very intense system, especially for its latitude and longitude, but for some reason there is very little information about it.
I think that's the same cyclone I encountered while researching Mahina:

EvwBeh4XEAIRnXI

Users who are viewing this thread

1-800-PetMeds