• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge Arkansas is the only state east of the Rockies not to have had a tornado ranked F5 or EF5 in its entire history. Really interesting, especially considering the sheer amount of violent tornadoes it's had.
There was a likely F5 in Arkansas on April 10, 1929 but not much is known about it.

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
Why would they go to such great lengths to not rate this tornado an EF5? Are they really that arrogant? No EF5 this time and there never will be one in our area ever again.
Yup. The lead surveyor mentioned in an interview that he helped create the EF scale, and mentioned that some people on the committee felt that houses should not be able to be rated higher than EF4 (though this sentiment was overruled, obviously). It’s quite obvious he held this opinion himself, and put more stock in his own opinion rather than objective use of the scale. He used this survey as an opportunity to further his agenda.

Pure, defiant, arrogance.

Reaction score
Yup. The lead surveyor mentioned in an interview that he helped create the EF scale, and mentioned that some people on the committee felt that houses should not be able to be rated higher than EF4 (though this sentiment was overruled, obviously). It’s quite obvious he held this opinion himself, and put more stock in his own opinion rather than objective use of the scale. He used this survey as an opportunity to further his agenda.

Pure, defiant, arrogance.
Holy crap, that is pretty bad. This whole bit about houses not being any bit higher than EF4 is ridiculous. Really makes me wonder how long until we get a tornado to be rated EF5 again.

pohnpei

Reaction score
While on the topic of 5/24/11 I might as well mention the Canton Lake, OK EF3. It didn't warrant EF5 but many seem to think it definitely warranted a rating of EF4. Yet another underrated tornado from that day.
Besides the violent visual apperance, DOW reading and the asphalt souring damage, the tree damage of this tornado was very high end stuff.

Reaction score
Yeah I think that one was a good candidate for tree damage based EF4.
If there was a situation in which there were several dozens of homes that were extremely well-built/engineered swept away and there was overwhelming context surrounding these houses such as complete debarking,low lying debarking, cars mangled so thoroughly they couldn't be identified, ground scoured up to 24-36 inches in some areas, and overwhelming evidence of incredible phenomena. If this arose and some NWS blatantly rated this high-end EF4 with 200 mph winds could this be challenged or overturned? Basically trying to rate a tornado like Smithville or Bridge Creek a high-end EF4?

Reaction score
I don't believe Wisconsin has had a violent tornado rated on the EF-scale, either. Our last was the Oakfield F5 of 1996. Stoughton 2005 was held at high-end F3 as per the norm in the very conservative rating years of 2005-06, although as I've mentioned elsewhere I haven't seen any extremely compelling evidence that it should have been higher, more of a "could plausibly have been rated F4 in a pre-La Plata survey."

RE: Georgia, IMO Ringgold is the most plausible upgrade of the EF4s of 4/27/11, slightly ahead of TCL-BHM. A lot of homes swept away. However like TCL-BHM it wasn't a gross underrating in the sense that there weren't blatant EF5 indicators that were missed/ignored, unlike Vilonia '14.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
North Carolina has never had an F-5/EF5 or an EF4. Had a few F-4s 1998 being the last one.

Dixie Alley kinda stops at I-75. There's a few events that slip east of there (Just look at the event just back in April) but once you get east of I-75 major violent tornado events start to get fewer and further between.

pohnpei

Reaction score
What's interesting is that there was only two violent tornado in WI since Barneveld84 F5 tornado, one was Oakfield tornado in 1996, the other was F4 tornado on july 5 1994.
Speaking of Barneveld tornado, this aerial photograph does indicate the tornado was intensifying as it passed through town. The bottom part of the picture maybe the Swiss Lane area that rated F5. The tornado was violent enough to obliterate several houses but was not particular high end damage to convice me as an EF5 tornado.
5b185aeb5b7e0.image.jpg

Last edited:

pohnpei

Reaction score
The most clear aerial photograph I can found of Brandenburg F5 1974. This was truely increible violent tornado and looks like Smithville kinds of thing. The damage photos on NWS website and extremeplanet's page can also support this.

Attachments

• 6a0148c78b79ee970c01a51192d79f970c.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0

pohnpei

Reaction score
an aerial photo of 1968 Charles City F5 looking south to north, the debris loading pattern was impressive.
385578_347188098651441_18849807_n.jpg
another one may looking north to south
charlescityiatornadoaftermath1.png
This tornado probably peaked outside of the city in Jaeger's farm maybe which had that famous path of swirls in there.
There was lots of damage images can be found inside the city. Especially in this FB page:https://www.facebook.com/Charles-City-Tornado-187146094655643/photos
The damage near Grand Ave was pretty strong but yet to find any high end contexual damage. It seems like most of trees inside the city was not debarked.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Niles OH/Wheatland Pennsylvania had an F5 on May 31 1985, Worcester MA June 9 1953 was F4. LaPlata MD April 28, 2002 was rated as F4 after initially receiving F5.

Reaction score
I should rephrase: Arkansas is the only state east of the Rockies and west of the Appalachians that has never (to date) been hit by an F-5 or EF-5. My mistake.

Reaction score
What's interesting is that there was only two violent tornado in WI since Barneveld84 F5 tornado, one was Oakfield tornado in 1996, the other was F4 tornado on july 5 1994.
Speaking of Barneveld tornado, this aerial photograph does indicate the tornado was intensifying as it passed through town. The bottom part of the picture maybe the Swiss Lane area that rated F5. The tornado was violent enough to obliterate several houses but was not particular high end damage to convice me as an EF5 tornado.
View attachment 3569
Barneveld was discussed quite a bit on the old thread....on the edge of town it threw cars up to 300 yards & completely leveled and partially swept away a brick church that had a poured concrete foundation, and I think that was the basis for the F5 rating.

Back