• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Reaction score
There are no pics of it, but the text survey and DAT list a site-built home being lifted from its pilings and thrown 50 yards, completely destroying it.
That was a house
There are no pics of it, but the text survey and DAT list a site-built home being lifted from its pilings and thrown 50 yards, completely destroying it.
It was a site built home? I didn't see that when I was reading the survey.

Reaction score
I always show this video whenever I hear someone say that geography protects their locale from tornadoes. In fact, some studies show that geographical features can enhance the formation of tornadoes.
So, could the hilly terrain of the South actually enhance the likelihood of tornadoes forming there? Perhaps like the higher the elevation the more likely ground winds are to interact with sky winds (easier for them to intertwine one another and form a vertical column of air)?

buckeye05

Reaction score
Also, sorry for the delay, but here's a Hackleburg/Phil Campbell photodump. Pic 10 shows a restaurant foundation that had part of it's slab cracked and pulled up. Not sure what the first pic was, but my guess was an outbuilding or garage foundation. Also note a portion of the concrete driveway missing in the second to last before/after pic. The last few before/after gifs were created by a user here from this forum, but I forget their username. Would credit them directly otherwise:
I6vSn4U.png

AvdmxkP.png

TvtvI5V.png

1NMDBmt.png

Qvj1G7S.jpg

Yu80NnF.jpg

Eb2c2oZ.png

4YfQycu.png

Zfw2hko.png

dCxhPSN.jpg

Rq5Oabb.jpg

w9x7SHu.jpg

5xiTXkC.png

OB7eyBS.png

yEyOhHW.jpg

Py8clFW.gif

MSMIV9z.gif

5H5ZMrB.gif

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
So, could the hilly terrain of the South actually enhance the likelihood of tornadoes forming there? Perhaps like the higher the elevation the more likely ground winds are to interact with sky winds (easier for them to intertwine one another and form a vertical column of air)?
Not sure of the exact science behind it, but it seems that Sand Mountain in NE Alabama is one of these geographical features that can enhance tornado formation.

Reaction score
Also, sorry for the delay, but here's a Hackleburg/Phil Campbell photodump. Pic 10 shows a restaurant foundation that had part of it's slab cracked and pulled up. Not sure what the first pic was, but my guess was an outbuilding or garage foundation. Also note a portion of the concrete driveway missing in the second to last before/after pic. The last few before/after gifs were created by a user here from this forum, but I forget their username. Would credit them directly otherwise:
I6vSn4U.png

AvdmxkP.png

TvtvI5V.png

1NMDBmt.png

Qvj1G7S.jpg

Yu80NnF.jpg

Eb2c2oZ.png

4YfQycu.png

Zfw2hko.png

dCxhPSN.jpg

Rq5Oabb.jpg

w9x7SHu.jpg

5xiTXkC.png

OB7eyBS.png

yEyOhHW.jpg

Py8clFW.gif

MSMIV9z.gif

5H5ZMrB.gif

There's two Hackleburg pics I think the old thread had that maybe you'll know. One is the pond where they finally found the tractor that was tossed two miles or something ridiculous. Another is of a kitchen sink someone found in their backyard from who knows where.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Here was a study about potential terrain effect discussion of tornados on April 27 2011

pohnpei

Reaction score
Some additional images created by that user from the old forum. I also forget his name(sorry about that).
7_zps4e8ce1c2.gif5_zpsadffc2d1.gif6_zps0d019dcd.gif4_zps1800ef1f.gif1_zpsc544c568.gif2a_zps4cbad1c7.gif2d_zps53164d4b.gif4-27-2011 Hackleburg tornado2.gif4-27-2011 Hackleburg tornado.gif

pohnpei

Reaction score
I will be grateful if some have some damage pictures of Dunlap TN EF4 on April 27 2011. I once heard someone said he believed this tornado had EF5 potential but I I can't even find enough informantion about this tornado. It seems like the most forgotton EF4 tornado in Super Outbreak 11.
I also have no idea pf which place or house that let Flat Rock tornado got 190mph rating. I would really appreciate it if someone have the answer.

Logo 468x120
Back