• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Reaction score
I hope it doesn't sound like I'm making light of how horrific Moore '13 was, but the sheer number of engines randomly strewn all over the ground always kinda makes me chuckle in disbelief. I probably have photos of at least a dozen different ones from various points along the path, and it's not even something I actively set out to find. They were just everywhere.

Also, while we're (sort of) on 5/20/13, it's worth mentioning the Shawnee EF4 from the day before. Obviously not nearly on the same level as Moore, but it was pretty nasty in its own right.

k90bfw4.jpeg

t9Er7UR.jpeg

cZwQAZg.jpeg

xONuj1A.jpeg

mztrswR.jpeg

ZQxc4B5.jpeg

Qo9wQGK.jpeg

gIkwgYE.jpeg

2FjBspT.jpeg

L4CfMxu.jpeg
I am not the most sure on the construction of the homes but the contextual damage certainly screams at least high-end EF4.

Reaction score
There are a bunch of really interesting Wisconsin events, especially from the mid-1800s to the mid-1900s. One of my favorites is a pretty complex outbreak on July 3, 1907 that I really need to dig into deeper eventually. There were five significant tornadoes officially (w/three F4s), but that's probably an undercount. Several major tornadoes were on the ground simultaneously at some points.

The first tornado(es) tore a short-ish path through the Tioga and Neillsville areas, causing F4 damage:

neillsville-tornado-1.png

granton-1.jpg

john-charles-farm-2.jpg

john-charles-farm-3.jpg

neillsville-1.jpg

The second F4 (probably a family) started southwest of the first and traveled nearly 60 miles, killing 11 people and causing violent damage near Hatfield, Oakdale and Elroy:

severson-s-buiildings.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

1907-july-3-elroy-wi-severson-home.jpg

anderson-place-3.jpg

anderson-s-place-1.jpg

ballard-s-place-elroy-wi-2.jpg

ballard-s-place-elroy-wi-3.jpg

ballard-s-place-elroy-wi.jpg

e-martin-s-barn-elroy-wi.jpg

grain-elevator-oakdale.jpg

oakdale-creamery.jpg

oakdale-hotel.jpg

ruined-by-tornado-elroy-wi.jpg

severson-s-barn-2.jpg
I don't know why does most of the posts from 2021 have broken photo

locomusic01

Reaction score
I am not the most sure on the construction of the homes but the contextual damage certainly screams at least high-end EF4.
Yeah, I believe this was around Bethel Acres just NE of Lake Thunderbird (fabulous name btw), which was rated 190 mph. You can see some scouring in this area as well in aerial photos:

m-3509748-ne-14-1-20130612.jpg

Reaction score
Reaction score
Where did you find this! You can see the torn up tracks and axles. Anymore photos you have that haven't been shared?
I found that image, along with these two other photos that I can I can identify as from the 1925 storm while looking through google images. Found a website, forgot the name that had these mislabeled from 1910.

AEC8E129-2FA4-4640-806C-4A63EB40B63C.jpeg

Attachments

• BBEC3F87-DB7B-43F8-9E2A-11895E263024.jpeg
    BBEC3F87-DB7B-43F8-9E2A-11895E263024.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 0

locomusic01

Reaction score
Nice, been searching specifically for more images of Peabody mine #18. I only have a few in less than ideal quality.
I think there might be one or two in my unsorted photos I need to go through eventually, but here's what I've got of Peabody #18:

rQWUzPi.png

1cGWPZv.jpeg

ZQv12vx.png

This obviously isn't the mine itself, but it's a home that was demolished just to the northeast:

KkeQkTX.png

HAwkmoon

Reaction score
I think there might be one or two in my unsorted photos I need to go through eventually, but here's what I've got of Peabody #18:

rQWUzPi.png

1cGWPZv.jpeg

ZQv12vx.png

This obviously isn't the mine itself, but it's a home that was demolished just to the northeast:

KkeQkTX.png
Yeah that is basically my images for Peabody Mine 18. I have this image but it says mine number 9? I thinkit means 19.1717707731690.jpeg

Aaron Rider

Reaction score
Speaking of West Frankfort, here are some others (some of which were taken SW of town I believe) that I don't think have been posted here before:

Oof7qQJ.jpeg

945Kmo8.jpeg

Zkhtt5s.jpeg

EOMtNkc.jpeg

sjxWigz.jpeg

YrRm0UE.jpeg

SI9x4S3.jpeg

3Pb1We5.jpeg

xigg0dk.jpeg

t43UIGd.jpeg

iiUITNT.jpeg

XItPS7e.jpeg

i5NM2Dq.jpeg

Also the M&O Shops in Murphysboro:

TKdAaqY.jpeg

rw3WgCW.jpeg

And two from near Frohna, MO:

wFgbliv.jpeg

Ov37Vns.jpeg
Man, look at those guys dressed in jacket and tie for a tornado aftermath picture. The country was so different then.

The context of that photo with him in a jacket and a tie holding a shovel must have been something. Getting dressed up for photos was just what you did then but posing with the shovel in non-work clothes is pretty cheeky.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Man, look at those guys dressed in jacket and tie for a tornado aftermath picture. The country was so different then.

The context of that photo with him in a jacket and a tie holding a shovel must have been something. Getting dressed up for photos was just what you did then but posing with the shovel in non-work clothes is pretty cheeky.
That's one of the things I love about old-timey photos; the people often look like they're dressed in their Sunday finest. One of my favorites from New Richmond:

XYDDV0x.jpeg

Edit: I love this one, too.

NtWucKq.png

Back