• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

locomusic01

Reaction score
Some rather violent damage from Pryor, Oklahoma, on 27 April 1942 (note the debarking of shrubbery and/or trees):

This source also contains many photographs that I have never personally seen before, also from this F4+ event.

I had a big folder full of stuff from Pryor at one point but I have no idea what happened to it now. Anyway, I remember a couple of shots from the Crowell, TX F4 the following day that looked even more impressive. I'd like to try and find them again at some point. That period from the end of April to the first week of May 1942 produced a bunch of impressive & relatively lesser-known tornadoes.

HAwkmoon

Reaction score
Hey! I messaged you a couple days ago but it seems like it didn't go through for some reason. Anyway, someone volunteered to read half of the article, so would you be willing to take the other half? If not, I can just send a few chapters — whatever works for you. I'm not super concerned about persnickety little grammar rules and whatnot (I deal with that enough in my day job lol) so much as making sure everything makes sense and I haven't made any boneheaded errors or left anything important out.

If you're still up for it, I'll probably be sending it out like tomorrow or Friday, work schedule permitting. It's basically done now but there are a couple things I'd really like to go back and add/expand on first.
Yeah I can read the second half for you.

Reaction score
Came across this on Reddit, apparently The Niles, OH Police Department just published these photos of the 1985 F5 that were rediscovered in the department garage:

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 14-35-09 Niles 2.jpg (WEBP Image 1942 × 2048 pixels) — Scaled (40%).png

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 14-35-15 Niles 1.jpg (WEBP Image 1942 × 2048 pixels) — Scaled (40%).png

Majority of this is F2-F3 damage but one of the pics there might be ground scouring and the two pics with the reddish-looking car with it's paint chipped off are impressive. Also, one of the car pics you can see 1 or 2 other cars behind it beat up real bad.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Came across this on Reddit, apparently The Niles, OH Police Department just published these photos of the 1985 F5 that were rediscovered in the department garage:

Majority of this is F2-F3 damage but one of the pics there might be ground scouring and the two pics with the reddish-looking car with it's paint chipped off are impressive. Also, one of the car pics you can see 1 or 2 other cars behind it beat up real bad.
Most of these were taken around the Convenient Food Mart (where one woman was killed) and the Eastwood Arms Apartments. Basically just before the tornado hulked out going up through the cemetery and the Shadow Ridge subdivision, although it was obviously pretty intense already.

Reaction score
Most of these were taken around the Convenient Food Mart (where one woman was killed) and the Eastwood Arms Apartments. Basically just before the tornado hulked out going up through the cemetery and the Shadow Ridge subdivision, although it was obviously pretty intense already.
Wasn't someone from the fire department or police going to send you a bunch of photos and just forgot to? Lol.
I wonder if this collection is from the same person.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Wasn't someone from the fire department or police going to send you a bunch of photos and just forgot to? Lol.
I wonder if this collection is from the same person.
Yeah, not sure if they forgot or just stopped responding for whatever reason. I sent them multiple messages but no luck. I believe those photos were supposed to be more from Niles Park Plaza and the neighborhoods around there.

Reaction score
Yeah, not sure if they forgot or just stopped responding for whatever reason. I sent them multiple messages but no luck. I believe those photos were supposed to be more from Niles Park Plaza and the neighborhoods around there.
Of course the most intense damage photos are the ones they didn't send. Always a problem with researching F5 tornadoes, it seems.

pohnpei

Reaction score
A few more to add to the collection:
fig-66-tim-hutto-likely-vehicle-of-krugs-768x576-1-jpg.20180

KBy4sCRl.jpg

Another DI I find interesting is this plausibly well-constructed home on Sara Rd NE that was obliterated in an EF5 fashion. It was extremely new and not there in the 2008 satellite imagery. But it ended up unsurveyed so unless someone finds ground level photos, we will never know for sure...
View attachment 27148
Was that the house south of I-40? It's leveled by tornado and do seems well built in closer pics but debris piled up and didnt blown away btw. The strength of the tornado in this area was unimaginable based on the analysis of Raxpol data.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Was that the house south of I-40? It's leveled by tornado and do seems well built in closer pics but debris piled up and didnt blown away btw. The strength of the tornado in this area was unimaginable based on the analysis of Raxpol data.
The tornado crossed I-40 near El Reno, didn't it? This house was north of Piedmont.

Reaction score
Happened to randomly come across a few photos from the Pomeroy F5 this morning while researching something else. I don't think they were included in my article (except maybe the last one IIRC?) but tbh I don't really feel like checking:

qecw0vp.jpeg

b9cZSST.jpeg

RntEPHx.jpeg

mRZFz1B.jpeg

Looks like some ground scouring in some photos, the debris granulation and ground scouring in the 3rd photo reminds me of that PowerPoint from Tim Marshall (I think) on differentiating between EF4 and EF5 damage.

Reaction score
Going through my Tri-State photo collection and decided to put some pics through a colorizer. Yeah, ground scouring is noticeable in these. FYI all are from Missouri or Indiana, can't find many scouring pics in Illinois for whatever reason.

Missouri. One from Frohna, one from Biehle area:

vDjMXiST.jpg
Here you can see torn up ground in the remains of the home, and possibly some scouring on the hillsides nearby but hard to tell for sure:

TFbalDsz.jpg

This pic you can see discolored soil and debarked, shredded trees in the background.

These are from Indiana:
7dok7WnO.jpg

gmEvZWLT.jpg

w02GJ624.jpg

yNKNJ6Rf.jpg

FYI some of the Indiana aren't the best quality to begin with so the colorizer can only do so much but the scouring is more noticeable here. Considering this tornado was moving in excess of 60 and 70 mph at times this kind of scouring is extremely impressive.

HAwkmoon

Reaction score
Going through my Tri-State photo collection and decided to put some pics through a colorizer. Yeah, ground scouring is noticeable in these. FYI all are from Missouri or Indiana, can't find many scouring pics in Illinois for whatever reason.

Missouri. One from Frohna, one from Biehle area:

View attachment 27168
Here you can see torn up ground in the remains of the home, and possibly some scouring on the hillsides nearby but hard to tell for sure:

View attachment 27169

This pic you can see discolored soil and debarked, shredded trees in the background.

These are from Indiana:
View attachment 27170

View attachment 27171

View attachment 27172

View attachment 27173

FYI some of the Indiana aren't the best quality to begin with so the colorizer can only do so much but the scouring is more noticeable here. Considering this tornado was moving in excess of 60 and 70 mph at times this kind of scouring is extremely impressive.
Nice, What tool are you using for this?

locomusic01

Reaction score
This one:

I used it for Guin damage pics extensively.
For anyone who has Photoshop, the Colorize neural filter works pretty well too, at least for certain images. It's kind of a hassle to use but it gives you more control over the results. I actually haven't played around with it a ton but I used it for a few Worcester photos (which, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I forgot to add to my article lol):

IR9uDQC.jpeg

abp9YNz.jpeg

'Course it also helps that they were high-quality images to begin with. I'm still debating whether to colorize some New Richmond photos; I experimented with it a little bit a few months ago but the results were really hit-or-miss.

aLB6PRw.jpeg

iOpVbgw.jpeg

HAwkmoon

Reaction score
For anyone who has Photoshop, the Colorize neural filter works pretty well too, at least for certain images. It's kind of a hassle to use but it gives you more control over the results. I actually haven't played around with it a ton but I used it for a few Worcester photos (which, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I forgot to add to my article lol):

IR9uDQC.jpeg

abp9YNz.jpeg

'Course it also helps that they were high-quality images to begin with. I'm still debating whether to colorize some New Richmond photos; I experimented with it a little bit a few months ago but the results were really hit-or-miss.

aLB6PRw.jpeg

iOpVbgw.jpeg
Cool, I used it here on Tri-state and got a decent result, looks very much like Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Attachments

• output.jpg
    output.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 0
  • de-sotohiroshjimacolour.jpg
    de-sotohiroshjimacolour.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
The Barnsdall tornado will go down as a dreadful reminder of what that day could’ve been with multiple tornadoes of such intensity going through Oklahoma.

.Those trees weren’t just debarked, they got stubbed and splintered.
Yeah, that is really violent tree damage. Maybe some possible scouring but can't say with certainly. A day where you have a high risk and have 31 weak tornadoes and this surprisingly one mile-wide EF4 tornado.

Logo 468x120
Back