Logo 468x120
Reaction score
The Plainfield, IL tornado was also very narrow at its strongest, with the core of violent winds only being about 30 feet wide. I don't think it would be rated EF5 by today's standards but the crop scouring along the early portion of the path was extreme to say the least.

Reaction score
The Plainfield, IL tornado was also very narrow at its strongest, with the core of violent winds only being about 30 feet wide. I don't think it would be rated EF5 by today's standards but the crop scouring along the early portion of the path was extreme to say the least.
Yeah the thing with Plainfield is it peaked over an area with 0 structures. The "F5" damage was limited to crops, trees, vegetation and some automobiles crossing the highway nearby. I'm surprised Fujita rated this thing F5 even back then, though. But yeah it likely wouldn't pass muster as EF5; then again, that rating seems to have been retired completely so who knows?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Though it did weaken, in Plainfield proper the tornado continued to cause some impressive vehicle damage and swept away at least a few anchor bolted homes:

Plainfield-tornado-1990-1024x833.jpg

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
You sure those homes aren't the result of clean-up? Just wondering.
The source I got those photos from appears to not even exist anymore, so I have zero context unfortunately, though I will say there are tell-tale signs of cleanup. I don't think bulldozers would have been responsible for the removal of subflooring though, unless the photos were taken WEEKS after the tornado.

More interesting is this home, which could not have been the result of cleanup, though can't positively identify any anchoring or even the foundation type for that matter:
Plainfield-F5-damage-home2.JPG

catatonia

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Are there any pictures of the actual tornadoes from the Carolinas outbreak of 1984? I've looked but haven't had any luck. Plenty of damage photos and (for that matter) videos, and I wouldn't expect videos since this was before portable video recorders really became a thing, but you'd think there would be some photos of the supercell tornadoes, some of which in South Carolina occurred while it was still daylight. (I think most of the NC tornadoes were after dark.)

The reason I ask is that I was a kid on spring break from school, visiting relatives in Columbia, SC, and I remember seeing the supercell off to the NW as it went through Newberry. It was ferociously huge; even from 20 miles away, I had to tilt my head back to see the top of the thing as my great-aunt pointed it out to me. I wish someone in our family had taken a picture of it. I also recall an hour or two later, Columbia itself got hit by a violent thunderstorm with pretty large hail, but it wasn't tornadic and from this loop:

it seemed as if this "trailing" storm that hit Columbia blew up pretty quickly over the Midlands while the killer supercell looked to be in the vicinity of Bennettsville SC or maybe across the NC/SC state line in Maxton.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Photos of intense damage from the 1899 New Richmond tornado. This tornado is one of the few 19th-century events where I have seen photographic evidence of F5 damage.
nicollet_hotel.jpg

streetview1.jpg

View attachment 13548
View attachment 13547
View attachment 13546
View attachment 13538
View attachment 13539
View attachment 13540
View attachment 13541
View attachment 13543
View attachment 13544
View attachment 13545
This was easily the most violent tornado in Wisconsin history, and possibly has a place in the most violent overall list as well. It's so obvious that even given the somewhat limited photographic documentation available, this was well above the F5 threshold. Still some of the most thorough destruction and tree debarking I have ever seen photographed to date.

Reaction score
I agree with the F5 rating. Do you know what kind of force it would take for a 10 yard wide tornado to throw vehicles and completely dismember them. I am not going to just stick with well-built home propaganda as I am much more controversial.

Reaction score
This was easily the most violent tornado in Wisconsin history, and possibly has a place in the most violent overall list as well. It's so obvious that even given the somewhat limited photographic documentation available, this was well above the F5 threshold. Still some of the most thorough destruction and tree debarking I have ever seen photographed to date.
One of the few times I've seen a photo of the 3,000 Ib. safe that was thrown by this thing, the other time is here:

new-richmond-tornado-f5-damage-panel.png

In the left photo, by the remains of a 3-story hotel.

Other photos:

new-richmond-tornado.png

Aryjmf3.jpg

A colorized photo:
New-richmond-trees-colorized.JPG

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Some of the craziest CCTV videos of tornadoes

Arabi, LA. Watch as the funnel itself comes into view at the top of the screen, and the building being destroyed at the 1:24 mark!

Marshalltown, IA. Buildings right across the street from the courthouse had their roofs ripped off, nearby trees were downed, and the trailer in the foreground is almost knocked over.

Spartanburg, SC. Most of you have probably seen this one, but it's almost so unbelievable I figured I'd mention it here. These guys were EXTREMELY lucky, especially the one guy that ran inside with literally SECONDS to spare.

Ringgold, GA. Another one where the tornado itself is clearly visible, also note the sparks flying as the power lines are taken down at 1:02

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I agree with the F5 rating. Do you know what kind of force it would take for a 10 yard wide tornado to throw vehicles and completely dismember them. I am not going to just stick with well-built home propaganda as I am much more controversial.
I will say it is very impressive that Plainfield was able to cause vehicle damage comparable to many F5/EF5 tornadoes when it was only 10 yards wide and had very little structural debris to work with. I can't say the "F5 corn scouring" or most of the structural damage makes a strong case for F5, but the vehicle damage was something else.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I will say it is very impressive that Plainfield was able to cause vehicle damage comparable to many F5/EF5 tornadoes when it was only 10 yards wide and had very little structural debris to work with. I can't say the "F5 corn scouring" or most of the structural damage makes a strong case for F5, but the vehicle damage was something else.
Yeah that's my biggest point of skepticism with Plainfield. The main basis was corn scouring. That just doesn't sit well with me at all.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah that's my biggest point of skepticism with Plainfield. The main basis was corn scouring. That just doesn't sit well with me at all.
I think if Plainfield's rating had been based less on what happened in that cornfield and more on what it did to those vehicles, and more background info was available regarding the photos of destroyed (swept away?) homes in Plainfield itself, there would be less controversy over the rating.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I think if Plainfield's rating had been based less on what happened in that cornfield and more on what it did to those vehicles, and more background info was available regarding the photos of destroyed (swept away?) homes in Plainfield itself, there would be less controversy over the rating.
The thing is, I've watched Dr. Fujita's recorded presentation of the Plainfield survey on YouTube, as well as read the full PDF file, and he specifically mentions that the homes swept away in Plainfield were not rated F5, and I believe "weak foundations" was the reason he gave, irrc. This was towards the end of his career, and I can't help but wonder if he himself was shifting away from the idea of slabbed homes being a strong F5 indicator.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The thing is, I've watched Dr. Fujita's recorded presentation of the Plainfield survey on YouTube, as well as read the full PDF file, and he specifically mentions that the homes swept away in Plainfield were not rated F5, and I believe "weak foundations" was the reason he gave, irrc. This was towards the end of his career, and I can't help but wonder if he himself was shifting away from the idea of slabbed homes being a strong F5 indicator.
Odd. Ground level photos in Plainfield show homes with poured concrete foundations and anchor bolted sill plating. But with that said, cleanup has definitely taken place in most of those available photos, so maybe those homes were leveled and the ones swept away by the tornado instead of bulldozers were poorly constructed? Just a guess, but could be the case.

Reaction score
The source I got those photos from appears to not even exist anymore, so I have zero context unfortunately, though I will say there are tell-tale signs of cleanup. I don't think bulldozers would have been responsible for the removal of subflooring though, unless the photos were taken WEEKS after the tornado.

More interesting is this home, which could not have been the result of cleanup, though can't positively identify any anchoring or even the foundation type for that matter:
View attachment 13536
The brown spots on the ground....possible scouring?

Reaction score
He was probably realizing the flaws in his scale and thinking of how to rectify them, but being close to retirement and such, likely didn't have the time and energy to devise a new scale.

Reaction score
That damage (in all aspects) from New Richmond is pretty unreal. Essentially a total wipeout.
The sheer amount of granulated debris covering the ground and how completely debarked some trees were tells me this was an event likely on par with Parkersburg, Hackleburg and/or Smithville and going through a heavily urbanized area at full intensity.

Back