• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Cartier God

Reaction score
I was reading the EJSSM paper on the April 3, 1956 tornado outbreak, and Grazulis had some interesting things to say in his review of it.
View attachment 12482
View attachment 12483
Whether it produced F5 damage or not, the documentation of the Hudsonville tornado is arguably its most impressive characteristic. I would say that it was one of the most photographed tornadoes of its time. There are at least 30 photographs (from a variety of vantage points) of the tornado that I can find on the internet, some color. This is in addition to color film footage, which is essentially unheard of for tornadoes prior to the 1960's. More photos of the tornado probably exist elsewhere, and I've seen at least 60 photos of the damage as well. Is there any tornado prior to 1956 that even comes close to being as completely documented as Hudsonville?
Here's a link to an excellent flickr album with most of the available tornado/damage photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/50000032@N03/page1

Reaction score
yesterdays tornadoes werent really super impressive but still...surprisingly lethal for a highly visible day light wedge....

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
VILONIA38.jpg
1950s Chevy mangled beyond recognition by the 2014 Vilonia tornado.

Oakhurst_Wx

Reaction score
@buckeye05 I was wondering if you would be able to share any additional photos of incredible damage from Vilonia. I'm looking into it for my own personal research and would really appreciate any help.

buckeye05

Reaction score
i havent seen very much even ef3 damage apart from that one house a few trees and other sporactic damage. am i missing something? how well built was that swept home???
Multiple homes were swept away, and it looks like at least one or two were reasonably well-built. EF4 seems like the right call.

Stronger than Newnan, I’ll say that much.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Hardwood trees were denuded to all but the largest branches, cars were shifted or flipped, and multiple homes (1-2 of which seemed to be anchored with bolts) were leveled and swept away. I strongly believe that they made the right call to rate Winterset LE EF4.
c2e36333-312b-4026-8d6d-d6fd80260527-Storm_20220306_bh_05769.JPG

IMG_4377.png

2FC1E01F-6376-4615-8EBF-D24471795122.jpeg

unknown.png

unknown.png

FNH1z-hWYAENuic-2.png

Reaction score
its nws des moine which means they might not add the damage points to the dat.......just how they didnt on december 15 2021.....they better not pull that again. i kinda wanna study this thing...

Logo 468x120