• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

buckeye05

Reaction score
Chapman is an EF5 for sure imo, mainly based on what it did to the poured concrete foundation of that house, plus the bent railroad tracks.

Vilonia, Goldsby, and Chickasha are also well above the EF5 threshold. New Wren, MS from 4/27/2011 also sounds like a strong candidate, but I have not viewed images of the potential EF5 damage myself, so I’ll reserve judgment on that one.

Washington, Mayfield, Rochelle, and Tuscaloosa are a little more borderline, but I feel a decent argument for all four can be made, especially the latter two. Also, I’ve removed Bassfield from my personal list of “shoulda-been” EF5s list. While that cabin outside of town was bolted down and essentially vanished, photos of the cabin before hand show a small, rather frail-looking, almost barn-like structure. Just not enough for an EF5 candidate.

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
Also I strongly agree with an end of the year review of EF3+ events. Something like that is desperately needed. Just using a few examples from last year, Newnan, GA should have been dropped to EF3 upon review, while Saloma, KY could definitely use a bump up to EF4.

Also, another sort of forgotten potential EF5 candidate would be Louisville, MS. What it did to the Eiland Plaza apartment complex may be the most impressive damage to large, multi-story brick apartment buildings I have seen. Two were obliterated and slabbed, with the debris finely granulated. That’s more extreme than the damage to similar apartment buildings in Tuscaloosa or Joplin. I just don’t have enough construction info to make me confident about it though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also I strongly agree with an end of the year review of EF3+ events. Something like that is desperately needed. Just using a few examples from last year, Newnan, GA should have been dropped to EF3 upon review, while Saloma, KY could definitely use a bump up to EF4.

Also, another sort of forgotten potential EF5 candidate would be Louisville, MS. What it did to the Eiland Plaza apartment complex may be the most impressive damage to large, multi-story brick apartment buildings I have seen. Two were obliterated and slabbed, with the debris finely granulated. That’s more extreme than the damage to similar apartment buildings in Tuscaloosa or Joplin. I just don’t have enough construction info to make me confident about it though.

The review process could/should also include a more in-depth look at any engineering data available on damaged/destroyed structures, rather than making a judgement call based on the remains; and any important damage points that may have been missed in the initial survey.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Also, I’ve removed Bassfield from my personal list of “shoulda-been” EF5s list. While that cabin outside of town was bolted down and essentially vanished, photos of the cabin before hand show a small, rather frail-looking, almost barn-like structure. Just not enough for an EF5 candidate.
I admit I 100% understand why the cabin was rated EF4 after seeing the "before" picture. Definitely a frail looking structure.

But at the same time, I do have to argue that the contextual damage was still well into the EF5 category.
Bassfield-EF5-anchor-bolt2.JPG
Bassfield-EF5-anchor-bolt.JPG
Anchor bolts bent and/or stripped out of the foundation of that cabin, which is something I would normally expect to see with a heavier, well-built structure. I get that alone isn't enough to warrant an EF5 rating, but again I did have to give it a second thought.

Bassfield-EF5-damage-vehicle.JPGVehicle damage

Oh yeah, this
Bassfield-EF5-damage-trees.JPG

It's perhaps a tough case like Yazoo City 2010, as neither tornado hit the right DI's at their peak intensities, but I am still 100% certain that both Yazoo City and Bassfield were certainly stronger than the EF4 ratings they were given.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Has anyone seen any photos of extremely violent tree damage from Yazoo City 2010 as from what I’ve seen so far the worst tree damage only appears to be the type you usually find in low-end violent tornadoes.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Aerial imagery and ground views of the Eiland Plaza apartment complex and surrounding area. I have been unable to find close ground views of the apartment unit that was slabbed.
unknown.png

plaza.jpg
10334241_759745850713489_4392336375358857563_n.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

pohnpei

Reaction score
Has anyone seen any photos of extremely violent tree damage from Yazoo City 2010 as from what I’ve seen so far the worst tree damage only appears to be the type you usually find in low-end violent tornadoes.
I've never seen anything high end from Yazoo City. I think it's Interesting many people tend to feel that those longest and largest tornados were strongest ones but It certainly wasn't in reality. Like top5 longest path tornado between Super Outbreak and December 10 2021 were all EF3 tornados. West liberty KY, Chetek WI, Bassfield second MS, Greensboro AL, Albany GA. Greensboro maybe only one of them had potential violent intensity for a short time.

Reaction score
I've never seen anything high end from Yazoo City. I think it's Interesting many people tend to feel that those longest and largest tornados were strongest ones but It certainly wasn't in reality. Like top5 longest path tornado between Super Outbreak and December 10 2021 were all EF3 tornados. West liberty KY, Chetek WI, Bassfield second MS, Greensboro AL, Albany GA. Greensboro maybe only one of them had potential violent intensity for a short time.

I think that, while of course there isn't a 1:1 correlation between tornado longevity and intensity, it's a fair assumption that conditions that favor particularly long-lived tornadoes also favor particularly intense ones.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Yazoo City's Vrot peaked south of Yazoo City where the low-end EF4 damage occurred. Obviously, Vrot doesn't always correlate with intensity at the ground but it does give a general idea of where peak intensity might have been reached. Also, I believe that West Liberty and the EF3 tornado north of Bassfield were likely violent but didn't hit any well-built structures at peak strength.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Yazoo City's Vrot peaked south of Yazoo City where the low-end EF4 damage occurred. Obviously, Vrot doesn't always correlate with intensity at the ground but it does give a general idea of where peak intensity might have been reached. Also, I believe that West Liberty and the EF3 tornado north of Bassfield were likely violent but didn't hit any well-built structures at peak strength.
Yes. Yazoo City's vrot was impressive but not impressive enough for magnitude like this. Big tornados with large RMW tend to have higher vrot value because relatively low solution of 88D radar. With similar width, 07 Greensburg had much higher vrot, which may an idea of why it was stronger than Yazoo City.

buckeye05

Reaction score
2008 had too many fairly impressive EF3 tornados get overlooked. Moscow Il have to be one of them.
View attachment 12268View attachment 12269View attachment 12270View attachment 12271
This one was in Indiana, not Illinois, and is usually referred to as the Waldron, IN tornado, and caused major damage in the tiny village of Middletown, IN as well. I remember this outbreak from back when I was in middle school, as there were some huge supercells in my area that day. As a friend and I walked to a convenience store after school, we had no idea that a supercell was approaching Dayton. As we turned a corner, we were greeted with one of the darkest, most ominous skies I have ever seen, with a suspicious lowering that may have been a wall cloud. We both agreed to turn back, but as we started walking back to our respective homes the sirens went off. I ended up sprinting home, completely terrified. Thankfully, no tornadoes formed in our immediate area, but it was definitely one of the most memorable childhood weather memories. Anyway, the contextual damage here is impressive and definitely suggests violent.

Here is some video of the Waldron tornado itself.

Reaction score
i hate the argument of debris remains therefore it wasnt ef5 winds.

what if the tornado was moving fast enough to cripple the house but the strongest winds exited the area before all the debris could be removed?

Reaction score

newnan was the....lowest bound ef4 thats ever been low bound ef4....
it just baaaaaarely meets the mark.
large well constructed houses leveled and partially swept away.....

pohnpei

Reaction score
There was even more marginal EF4 than Newnan like Woodbury 2013 with EF4 point like this
e6641c9a48a4bc1.jpg
Newnan still confused as how this can be EF4 damage
1642558440174.jpg

buckeye05

Reaction score

homes so strong they're rated ef4 with walls left standing....like in cookeville as well.
Neither of these tornadoes should have been rated EF4 at all. The homes impacted were of average construction in each case, and the ones in Newnan were simply poorly-built. Photos show a lack of anchoring, and vehicles left undamaged and unmoved from driveways and garages. Newnan was probably a low to mid-range EF3. Woodbury/Moville, IA may have been EF4 capable based on it's visual appearance, but there was no damage that met the EF4 criteria. The rating for that one was mostly based on a heavy grain cart being tossed (rolled, not lofted) across a road. Makes no sense.

Last edited: