• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
One of the most mysterious 20th-century tornadoes is the May 14, 1923 Lorraine TX F5. This massive (reportedly up to a mile and a half wide) and intense tornado devastated rural areas in the early morning, killing 23 people and injuring 250. One of the largest ranch homes in the county was completely swept away, multiple farms were "wiped out" and bodies were carried up to a half-mile. Despite how deadly and violent this tornado was, there is very little information about and I would like to find out more about this event.
path.jpg

locomusic01

Reaction score
Does anybody recognize this tornado?

NXpfXme.jpg

Someone sent it to me and said that it was the 5/31/85 Kane F4, but they didn't have much information to substantiate it aside from a general location where it was (supposedly) taken. The landscape/size of the tornado/general time of day seem to fit, and I don't immediately recognize it as being from any other event, but I'm inherently skeptical about tornado photos w/no provenance. I know there were at least a few photos taken of the Kane tornado but I haven't found any verifiable ones yet.

Reaction score
Does anybody recognize this tornado?

NXpfXme.jpg

Someone sent it to me and said that it was the 5/31/85 Kane F4, but they didn't have much information to substantiate it aside from a general location where it was (supposedly) taken. The landscape/size of the tornado/general time of day seem to fit, and I don't immediately recognize it as being from any other event, but I'm inherently skeptical about tornado photos w/no provenance. I know there were at least a few photos taken of the Kane tornado but I haven't found any verifiable ones yet.
Looks like it was a tornado in PA but it was a different event that occurred back in 2018 based on what I found via an image search via Yandex:

locomusic01

Reaction score
Cool, thanks. I tried Google + Tineye image searches and didn't turn anything up but I didn't think to check Yandex. I thought the picture seemed a bit digital-y (to use the technical term) for something supposedly that old. This tornado was also in northwest PA (although ~100 miles west of Kane), so that explains why the terrain looked so similar.

Reaction score
The SPC posted this on their Twitter a while ago.
Tornado Deaths.png

What's interesting to me is that, even ignoring 2011 as the obvious outlier, there seems to be a sort of roller coaster pattern of tornado-related fatalities in the US. Also, it doesn't seem to be directly correlated with the number of intense/violent tornadoes per year. I'm honestly not sure why this is. Any ideas?

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
View attachment 12155

What's interesting to me is that, even ignoring 2011 as the obvious outlier, there seems to be a sort of roller coaster pattern of tornado-related fatalities in the US. Also, it doesn't seem to be directly correlated with the number of intense/violent tornadoes per year. I'm honestly not sure why this is. Any ideas?
It really depends on many factors such as how active a season is or if a significant tornado goes through a populated area.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
The locations where the tornadoes occur is probably the strongest factor. Note that high fatality years tend to have a number of destructive tornadoes/outbreaks east of the Plains (1994, 1998, 2006-2008, 2020-2021). This is where tornado awareness is generally lower, population density is higher, construction standards are lesser, nocturnal tornado frequency is higher, and fast moving tornadoes are more common.

Reaction score
The locations where the tornadoes occur is probably the strongest factor. Note that high fatality years tend to have a number of destructive tornadoes/outbreaks east of the Plains (1994, 1998, 2006-2008, 2020-2021). This is where tornado awareness is generally lower, population density is higher, construction standards are lesser, nocturnal tornado frequency is higher, and fast moving tornadoes are more common.
2021 was on pace to be well below average then boom, 2 weeks before Christmas...

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
This tornado has been talked about here before but I would like to revisit it. The 1919 Fergus Falls tornado is likely the strongest tornado in Minnesota history, only tied by the 1883 Rochester F5. This tornado cut a winding violent swath through the town. A 3-story brick hotel with 100 rooms was leveled to the ground, trees were severely debarked, many homes were completely swept away with much of the debris being ground up into small pieces, a steel bridge was torn down and thrown 150 ft, and automobiles were tossed.
Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 12-03-01 MNHS Hub - Image Viewer.png
Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 12-00-13 MNHS Hub - Image Viewer.png
unknown.png

Second%20Landscape%202.PNG

First%20Landscape%202.PNG

Second%20Landscape%203.PNG

Second%20Landscape%204.PNG

Grand%20Hotel.png

FFM8.png

images

buckeye05

Reaction score
This tornado has been talked about here before but I would like to revisit it. The 1919 Fergus Falls tornado is likely the strongest tornado in Minnesota history, only tied by the 1883 Rochester F5. This tornado cut a winding violent swath through the town. A 3-story brick hotel with 100 rooms was leveled to the ground, trees were severely debarked, many homes were completely swept away with much of the debris being ground up into small pieces, a steel bridge was torn down and thrown 150 ft, and automobiles were tossed.
View attachment 12156
View attachment 12157
unknown.png

Second%20Landscape%202.PNG

First%20Landscape%202.PNG

Second%20Landscape%203.PNG

Second%20Landscape%204.PNG

Grand%20Hotel.png

FFM8.png

images

I’ve always considered this to be Minnesota’s most violent tornado. In addition to all the incredible phenomenon described above, it also swept away a train station and a section of railroad track.

Also, the house foundation in photo #10 appears to be well-built and of poured concrete construction. There were multiple houses like this throughout the town. Do you think they were anchor-bolted? They definitely have that look.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
I’ve always considered this to be Minnesota’s most violent tornado. In addition to all the incredible phenomenon described above, it also swept away a train station and a section of railroad track.

Also, the house foundation in photo #10 appears to be well-built and of poured concrete construction. There were multiple houses like this throughout the town. Do you think they were anchor-bolted? They definitely have that look.
Considering it is the pre-1950 era I doubt it was bolted.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
View attachment 12155

Statistically you would need more data. There is a noticeable pattern but there have been so many changes in the overall climate in the world that it would probably skew anything you tried to grab for more data. He would definitely need somebody better at math than myself.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Many violent tornadoes have occurred in Canada. What was one of the strongest tornadoes to occur in the county and likely the strongest one to occur on the Canadian Prairie is the July 22, 1920 Alameda SK F5. This massive, long-tracked, and extremely violent tornado carved a 50-mile long swath through southern Saskatchewan. Several or more “splendid” farmhouses of “15-20 years development” were completely swept away with nothing but “the cellars of houses or the bare spots of barns” to mark their locations. Timbers, clothing, housing utensils, and heavy farming machinery such as large threshing machines were scattered for miles from these farms. The ironwork of tractors was twisted "to make people gasp in astonishment," a large flywheel of a "huge separator" was reportedly nearly carried 2 miles, a piano was carried 100 ft and "choked with tightly packed soil", and a 1600-1800 lb stallion was supposedly carried a half-mile. Sadly four people were killed by this tornado with bodies reportedly being carried a half-mile.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I spent entirely too long today staring at this, but it's just super fascinating. If you open it full-size, you can really see the complex terrain interactions and how the winds sort of swirled and flowed like eddies as they were channeled through the valleys. It looks almost like a watercolor painting. I accidentally cut off a tiny bit of the beginning, but whatever.

This is the Moshannon F4 btw, although that's probably pretty obvious.

full-path-satellite.jpg

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Back