• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Reaction score
Here's something very exciting I think is worth a shoutout on this thread.

tornadoarchive.com
Tornado Archive, an impressive tornado database/mapping website which not only replaces, but very much improves upon the lost Tornado History Project, has just been launched. Many insanely talented individuals, including @andyhb, put a ton of hard work into this project and it really shows. What's more exciting is that there's even better things in store. Absolutely geeking out about this.

absolutely poggers....

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Great to finally see a true successor to the Tornado History Project (which I still miss, and will always miss)

What I miss most about the THP is its simplicity; it was lightweight enough to run on just about any system I threw at it. I also missed the ability to search for tornadoes by a calendar day and am eternally grateful the Tornado Archive finally brings back this functionality. Love the ability to search for tornadoes that happened between two specific dates as well.

Unfortunately in the Data Explorer the tornado paths are not showing up for me. Is it a problem on my end or has that functionality just not been implemented yet?

Reaction score
The one thing usually not mentioned much about Smithville is the path after town. Smithville is small and when the tornado exited it went straight through nothing but woodland for miles. From the highway when you look at where it entered the forestland it looked like you had cut a wide path with a giant chainsaw for a long way. It's hard to imagine what would have happened had it hit a larger town.

Fig-1B-the-Smithville-EF-scale-map.jpg
Based on this map, the Smithville EF5 actually seems to have dissipated in Itawamba County, MS, and reformed into a new EF3+ that crossed into western AL.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
pilgereast2.png

thats insane.....
That tornado (Pilger East) also swept away a well-bolted home (albeit a vehicle was thrown into it)
Pilger-east-damage-home.JPG

I believe Pilger East was the second strongest tornado of the day but if I had to pick one that absolutely should have been rated EF5 it would be Stanton. This thing swept away a farmstead leaving little debris behind, totally debarked trees, and did this to a pickup truck:
Stanton-damage-truck.JPG
Stanton-damage-home-foundation.JPG
Stanton-damage-debarking-foundation.JPG

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If you would like to check out the path of the 1993 High Uintas Wilderness tornado, put either of these coordinates into Google Maps and toggle satellite view (don't forget to zoom in):

40° 40' 27'' N, 110° 07' 10'' W
40.674167, -110.119444

It is really cool to see a tornado damage path so well preserved (unlike Teton-Yellowstone where most of the damage path burned the following year) and goes to show that violent tornadoes can alter an area's landscape for decades, if not even centuries.

pohnpei

Reaction score
That tornado (Pilger East) also swept away a well-bolted home (albeit a vehicle was thrown into it)
View attachment 10806

I believe Pilger East was the second strongest tornado of the day but if I had to pick one that absolutely should have been rated EF5 it would be Stanton. This thing swept away a farmstead leaving little debris behind, totally debarked trees, and did this to a pickup truck:
View attachment 10807
View attachment 10808
View attachment 10809

Stanton was Incredible. There were chasers behind It said "you can feel the ground was rumbling caused by this tornado". It let me remember Roger Edward Once mentioned he can feel El Reno 11 through the ground 1.5 miles away at its peak intensity and It was the only one in his career.
Residents in Smithville also mentioned in interview that "you don't really need to see the tornado because you can feel the ground was shaking before It coming."
It seems like one of the phenomenon you can only feel in face of most violent tornados.
The truck damage was insane. I just can't see how It can be a truck before along with another car or part of the car buried deep into scoured grass nearby.

Last edited:

locomusic01

Reaction score
Your daily reminder that tornadoes are pure chaos and nothing about them makes sense:

GO848mw.jpg

There are roughly a dozen homes in this shot that are totally destroyed (along with one business at the very top of the screen, just left of center). Many of them had several people inside, a number of whom failed to make it below ground before the tornado struck. And yet, there was only one fatality in this photo - a young boy who was killed in the basement of the highlighted house. The house itself actually remained somewhat intact, but the basement wall behind the boy and his family failed and the whole structure sort of slid down on top of them.

I'm always amazed by how often people actually survive strong and sometimes even violent tornado damage (with occasional and very notable exceptions).

pohnpei

Reaction score
View attachment 10806

View attachment 10807
View attachment 10808
View attachment 10809
The first pic was done by West. It was mislabled to the East one. I think I can actually prove that the Incredible tree damage was mainly done by the East one. The center of the West one was far outside of the leftside of the pic so If it was the west one done this mainly, trees on the left side should be debarked more severely. But it was not. So it was mainly done by the East one.

Reaction score
So the outbreak going on so far is interesting, one of the tornadoes (or possible family) had a path starting in northeast Arkansas, traveled through the Missouri Bootheel and ended in Tennessee, the path is similar to the 2006 Caruthersville tornado.

Been a while since I can think of a tornado outbreak this violent in December.

gregassagraf

Reaction score
I would like to do a compilation on some of the most intense storms that have affected regions around Uruguay river and La Plata river in the last 15 years.

September seventh 2009
Misiones, Argentina / Santa Catarina, Brazil F4 Tornadoes

Its controversial if these are the same tornado, since the city of San Pedro which was affected the most during the outbreak and the city of Guaraciaba, in Brazil are about 50 miles away from each other. Both cities sustained very similar damage.
In Guaraciaba, the storm managed to lift a whole house with a family inside and throw it 80 yards up a hill. It's a miracle that everyone survived. The accounts of a member of that family is in the video below, although in Portuguese.

kristornado.jpg

December 6th, 2012
Dolores, Uruguay Tornado

Mostly remained over open area, but it was an large multiple vortex tornado.
I could not find a proper rating on this tornado.
267876[9].jpg

April 20th, 2015
Xanxere, Santa Catarina (Brazil) Tornado
Rated at EF3, this large tornado produced a lot of damage for the city.
It was a very large and long track tornado, but it didn't affect as big of a damage as it's appearance would suggest.
fd3674037daa76c2e4802d2662152865.jpg

November 19th, 2015
Parana and Santa Catarina tornadoes (Brazil)

Multiple tornadoes were reported during this event, the largest of which affected the city of Marechal Candido Rondon, Parana.
It was only rated as an EF1, despite is huge size. Other two tornadoes were reported in the outskirts of the city.

large tornado event while it hit the main part of the city.

Other footage of the same event

April 15, 2016
Dolores, Uruguay Tornado
This is one of the most intense south hemisphere tornado in recent memory. The speed of its rotation and the presence of horizontal vorticies are statement of the power of this storm.
tornado-dolores-soriano.jpg

My laptop battery is dying and im currently out of power, so I will have to end here.

Here is a compilation of videos of that particular storm.

Attachments

• lg.jpg
    lg.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back