• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
This is some of the vehicle and grassland damage caused by this tornado, and it is also one of the most impressive vehicle damage I have seen outside North America. The tornado happened at an altitude of about 1800m, which is absolutely one of the incredible tornadoes
That is the most significant ground scouring I've seen outside of the Americas.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
One of the most intense European tornadoes in my opinion is the August 3, 2008 Hautmont France tornado. This tornado was extremely narrow but very intense. Brick homes were leveled with debris being wind-rowed, trees were debarked, farm fields were scoured, metal poles were bent to the ground, and cars were thrown.
hautmont-panel.png

hautmont-tornado-damage-panel.png

07np0jf4ahr61.jpg

tornade-hautmont-maubeuge-boussieres-f4-3-aout-2008-photo-7.jpg

Marshal79344

Reaction score
One of the most intense European tornadoes in my opinion is the August 3, 2008 Hautmont France tornado. This tornado was extremely narrow but very intense. Brick homes were leveled with debris being wind-rowed, trees were debarked, farm fields were scoured, metal poles were bent to the ground, and cars were thrown.
hautmont-panel.png

hautmont-tornado-damage-panel.png

07np0jf4ahr61.jpg

tornade-hautmont-maubeuge-boussieres-f4-3-aout-2008-photo-7.jpg

Where exactly is the proof for debarking?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
These are videos in Chickasaw County and western Monroe County prior to the Smithville Tornado forming.

Watch Out! The Audio levels on some of these are loud.

This one has better footage late in the video

I've only seen one of those videos before. Great finds!

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
I happened to find out some really crazy damage pics from the 1999 Moore tornado, one of them was once published by locomusic on twitter. I was actually interested in the exact place these photoes were taken, it looks like these crazy damage occurred in rural areas near Bridge Creek instead of Moore just viewing these violent red dirt scouring and shrubbs.I'm just speechless for what I've seen, that's a automobile crumped like a small ball, and even smaller than the one done by the Smithville EF5, and then mixed with completely debarked low lying shrubbs. Can't wait to see what else has locomusic discovered for this monster.
IMG_20210423_112231.jpg
IMG_20210423_113116.jpg
IMG_20210423_111958.jpg
IMG_20210423_112951.jpg
IMG_20210423_111958.jpg
IMG_20210423_112548.jpg
IMG_20210423_114249.jpg
IMG_20210423_114358.jpg
IMG_20210423_112707.jpg
IMG_20210423_114215.jpg

Reaction score
That last photo reminds me of Jarrell, the ground scouring from this thing is insane, while I knew it was worthy of F5 status I had no clue just how intense it was, and it certainly matches claims of how ground scouring in Grady County was among the most intense ever documented.

Reaction score
Interesting detail I just picked up on in a photo from Bridge Creek:

bridge-creek-severe-f5-damage.png

I've placed an arrow pointing to what looks like a trailer resting in a debris/mud/water-filled basement. Assuming my analysis is correct this is an instance of where even a basement wouldn't save you (assuming fatalities occurred at this location). Primary sources say this is from Grady County, but secondary sources claim it's from Cleveland County, so not sure who to believe.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

View attachment 9122

I've placed an arrow pointing to what looks like a trailer resting in a debris/mud/water-filled basement. Assuming my analysis is correct this is an instance of where even a basement wouldn't save you (assuming fatalities occurred at this location). Primary sources say this is from Grady County, but secondary sources claim it's from Cleveland County, so not sure who to believe.
I'm pretty sure that's a pool rather than a basement.

buckeye05

Reaction score

View attachment 9122

That’s an in ground swimming pool. Also, it’s one of the most cleanly swept away homes I ever seen.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Reaction score
Concerning Southwest Texas....
The Bakersfield Valley tornado of 1990 was an F4, but should have been rated F5, full stop. This thing picked up 3 oil tanks & threw 3 MILES, 2 of them 600 feet up a hill with a very steep incline.
I’m uncertain as to whether the following has been mentioned, but p. 1297 of Significant Tornadoes 1680–1991 (the so-called “big green book” by Thomas P. Grazulis) mentions that the bolded oil tanks each were filled with 500 barrels of oil and weighed 70 tons. The tanks, filled to carrying capacity at the time, were described as having been initially rolled for three miles over a flat expanse before coming to rest 600 feet up on the slope. Additionally, two vehicles were hurled up to 600 feet and 300 feet of asphalt were scoured from the surface of a highway.

Reaction score
This is some of the most violent contextual damage I’ve ever seen, hands down.
Back in the 1990s, had someone asked me to visualise an “F5” tornado, Bridge Creek would have been the very first to come to mind, along with Jarrell. Bridge Creek is still the archetypal F5 in many ways: a massive, mile-wide wedge that produced the highest winds measured by mobile Doppler radar and the contextual damage to match its high-end intensity. It met all the F5 criteria: extreme ground and pavement scouring, well-anchored homes obliterated, debris granulated and carried far from empty homesites, trees and shrubs stubbed, debarked, and uprooted, vehicles and railcars either pulverised or hurled/rolled up to a mile away or both...and many (E)F5 tornadoes usually only meet some of the criteria, not all of them, and most certainly do not peak in the vicinity of DOWs. So in this respect Bridge Creek is still rather unique. Jarrell comes very close to Bridge Creek in meeting all the criteria, except that it lacked confirmation-by-DOW. But both events are unquestionably, deservingly considered F5s, and not “marginal” or “low-end” ones, regardless of what surveys may indicate. Both are among the best documented of all the legendary, high-end (E)F5s on record, with high-resolution photography and numerous accounts to prove their worth. Like El Reno (2011), Bridge Creek was also an unusually long-tracked (E)F5 for the Great Plains, and both are absolutely comparable to each in other in terms of intensity at ground level. Jarrell, Bridge Creek, and El Reno (2011) are among the most intense tornadoes on record, period.

Reaction score
Most intense tornadoes on record since 1950, in no particular order:
  • Udall KS 1955
  • Hudsonville MI 1956
  • Colfax WI 1958
  • Wichita Falls TX 1964
  • Dunlap IN 1965
  • Pittsfield–Strongsville OH 1965
  • Primrose NE 1965
  • Jackson MS 1966
  • Tracy MN 1968
  • Brandenburg KY 1974
  • Guin AL 1974
  • Niles OH/Wheatland PA 1985
  • Bakersfield Valley TX 1990
  • Andover KS 1991
  • Chandler MN 1992
  • Pampa TX 1995 (in his F5–F6 report, Thomas P. Grazulis considered an F6 rating based on photogrammetric video analysis)
  • Jarrell TX 1997
  • Bridge Creek OK 1999
  • Loyal Valley TX 1999
  • Harper KS 2004
  • Parkersburg IA 2008
  • Hackleburg AL 2011
  • Smithville MS 2011
  • El Reno OK 2011
  • Moore OK 2013
  • Vilonia AR 2014
  • Chapman KS 2016
I think this list is more reliable than my previous ones because it takes into account context better.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Most intense tornadoes on record since 1950, in no particular order:
  • Udall KS 1955
  • Hudsonville MI 1956
  • Colfax WI 1958
  • Wichita Falls TX 1964
  • Dunlap IN 1965
  • Pittsfield–Strongsville OH 1965
  • Primrose NE 1965
  • Jackson MS 1966
  • Tracy MN 1968
  • Brandenburg KY 1974
  • Guin AL 1974
  • Niles OH/Wheatland PA 1985
  • Bakersfield Valley TX 1990
  • Andover KS 1991
  • Chandler MN 1992
  • Pampa TX 1995 (in his F5–F6 report, Thomas P. Grazulis considered an F6 rating based on photogrammetric video analysis)
  • Jarrell TX 1997
  • Bridge Creek OK 1999
  • Loyal Valley TX 1999
  • Harper KS 2004
  • Parkersburg IA 2008
  • Hackleburg AL 2011
  • Smithville MS 2011
  • El Reno OK 2011
  • Moore OK 2013
  • Vilonia AR 2014
  • Chapman KS 2016
I think this list is more reliable than my previous ones because it takes into account context better.
I have some questions about Pampa Tx tornado 1995 as one of the most intense tornadoes in history. Despite the very impressive rational speed showed on videos, the damage to the factory was no more than high-end F3 level. The F4 rating involved the consideration of visual appearance. The visual appearance was shocking at that time because so little high-quality footages exist at that time. The vehicle damage was violent but not the tree damage. The overall damage level was not higher than Dalton tornado last year or Marion ND tornado 2004. So many violent rope type tornados had very impressive rotational speed showed on video since then but most of them don't have photogrammetric analysis didn't mean they were weaker.