• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Reaction score
It's been a while since I read FEMA's Mitigation Assessment Team report on the event, but it's puzzling that I don't recall any mention of this. The team did a pretty extensive evaluation of shelters and safe rooms throughout the area, but the only thing I remember them mentioning was one basement shelter in which the concrete floor above collapsed and killed someone inside. I think that was near Birmingham.

I'm not saying this information isn't legit (I'm not a member so I haven't read the article) - just weird that it wasn't mentioned in any of the reports. It's hard for me to imagine that happening to a purpose-built shelter, though I've learned not to rule anything out when it comes to the most violent tornadoes.
I know something with a purpose-built shelter happened with Vilonia; I don't think the shelter was built to proper standards but this is definitely something that happens with extremely violent tornadoes so this is likely an issue that will need to be further investigated in the future.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I know something with a purpose-built shelter happened with Vilonia; I don't think the shelter was built to proper standards but this is definitely something that happens with extremely violent tornadoes so this is likely an issue that will need to be further investigated in the future.
Yeah, that was a door that wasn't actually designed for wind/impact resistance: https://phys.org/news/2014-08-door-arkansas-tornado.html

Pretty substantial damage nonetheless, but an underground storm shelter being damaged or destroyed is an entirely different order of magnitude. I'm very hesitant to say anything is impossible when it comes to high-end tornadoes, especially if heavy missile impacts are involved, but my first instinct is that we might be missing some key details there.

Reaction score
The second and last two photos here are pretty impressive. The second photo shows an impressive amount of debris granulation, and the last two reveal a ton of debris blanketing the ground and what looks to be a mangled vehicle after likely being thrown a considerable distance. This thing may have been more violent than I previously thought. Still, not enough photographic evidence to be entirely sure.

Reaction score
The first part of Hackleburg torndao's article in Marion County mentioned that there were at least three underground storm shelters were destroyed in Hackleburg including one solidly constructed. There were people sucked out of the basement and killed.
I am also very interested in that likely dried-out five-acre large pond. There were five cars and one tractor left at the bottom of the pond. Was there any ground view photo in this place?
It is also weird to heard there was root canal injure due to the pressure drop of the tornado.
View attachment 8770
So, was this the pond where they supposedly found a vehicle after it was carried over a mile? Or is that just a rumor/hearsay?

buckeye05

Reaction score
So it's been confirmed now? I just wish I could find a picture of it.
It was confirmed a long time ago on the old Talkweather Forum by a NWS Birmingham damage surveyor named Chris Darden who surveyed the Hackleburg-Phil Campbell tornado. If anybody here knows how to reach him, I'd sure he'd re-tell the story. It's not in any official documents or text though. The only mention of it is the "missing vehicle" brought up in the Oak Grove portion of the survey. That vehicle was the one that was eventually found a mile away in a pond.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Buckeye when a foundation is “ Buckled “ what does that mean?
It essentially means it that it was cracked and broken. This was a steakhouse restaurant that sustained EF5 damage in Mount Hope, AL. Here, the corner of the foundation slab has buckled, and is actually pulled up out of the ground.

speedbump305

Reaction score
It essentially means it that it was cracked and broken. This was a steakhouse restaurant that sustained EF5 damage in Mount Hope, AL. Here, the corner of the foundation slab has buckled, and is actually pulled up out of the ground.
That’s actually insane- This and the Slab in Smithville probably seen the two worst damage to a poured concrete slab i’ve ever seen

buckeye05

Reaction score
Also, in the above photo, you can actually see grass and pine needles wedged underneath the slab. To me, this indicates that the slab corner was quickly yanked out of the ground as the most violent part of the tornado slammed into the building. Then, as the tornado began to move away, extremely intense low-level inflow winds feeding into the tornado likely blasted shredded bits of vegetation into the space where the corner of the foundation was lifted up. That to me, suggests remarkable intensity. This one little area of damage does make me reconsider my stance on Hackleburg.

speedbump305

Reaction score
Also, in the above photo, you can actually see grass and pine needles wedged underneath the slab. To me, this indicates that the slab corner was quickly yanked out of the ground as the most violent part of the tornado slammed into the building. Then, as the tornado began to move away, extremely intense low-level inflow winds feeding into the tornado likely blasted shredded bits of vegetation into the space where the corner of the foundation was lifted up. That to me, suggests remarkable intensity. This one little area of damage does make me reconsider my stance on Hackleburg.
For real!

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Having read all sorts of outlandish claims in terms of vehicles being lofted crazy distances by tornadoes without much evidence to back it up, is that instance from the Hackleburg tornado the longest that a vehicle has actually been confirmed transported by a tornado on record?

I know the Andover, Jarrell, Bridge Creek, Smithville, and El Reno 2011 tornadoes had some remarkable instances of such phenomenon, but I don't think any of them actually broke the mile mark.

speedbump305

Reaction score
Having read all sorts of outlandish claims in terms of vehicles being lofted crazy distances by tornadoes without much evidence to back it up, is that instance from the Hackleburg tornado the longest that a vehicle has actually been confirmed transported by a tornado on record?

I know the Andover, Jarrell, Bridge Creek, Smithville, and El Reno 2011 tornadoes had some remarkable instances of such phenomenon, but I don't think any of them actually broke the mile mark.
I would think so!

speedbump305

Reaction score
I would just love to know if Hackleburg was able to tear anchor bolts off poured concrete slabs like smithville and rainsville were able to do. i have absolutely no doubt it wasn’t able to

buckeye05

Reaction score

Here an excerpt from the NCDC entry for the Cisco, TX "EF3" (yeah right) of 2015.

"Two cars, one tractor, and several farm implements were tossed over one mile to the east with this tornado"

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Here an excerpt from the NCDC entry for the Cisco, TX "EF3" (yeah right) of 2015.

"Two cars, one tractor, and several farm implements were tossed over one mile to the east with this tornado"
Lol yeah Cisco is another case of a severely underrated tornado (I'm not entirely convinced the structural damage it produced was EF3 either). Would love to find pictures of those vehicles.

1618439780562.png

1618439878169.png

Logo 468x120