• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

buckeye05

Reaction score
View attachment 8281
Regarding Hackleburg-Phil Campbell, this is the only photo I can find of the "exceptionally" well-anchored house obliterated in Oak Grove. Does anyone have any close-up pictures of the remains of this home?

View attachment 8282
Here's another photo from a PDF called "Extreme Damage Instances in the 4/27/11 Super Outbreak" or something like that. Not sure what to make of this one.
The missing concrete in that second photo is from bulldozing and cleanup.

There are other phots of the very-well built Oak Grove house out there, including these, the second of which is a before and after:
W5wImZz.png

5H5ZMrB.gif

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That’s a real apples to oranges comparison, considering one spent its whole life in rural areas, and the other struck only heavily populated areas. If I had to guess, I’d say they were about equal intensity wise.
I agree. As you point out Hackleburg-Phil Campbell had about four or five verifiable instances of EF5 structural damage while remaining in rural areas while Joplin had about 17 (?) (not sure of the exact number, but someone posted earlier) houses that were rated EF5 in an densely populated area where the tornado had a lot more debris to work with. Both had equally impressive instances of damage throughout the path (storm shelter in Phil Campbell and concrete basement walls in Joplin) and both produced similar vegetation damage and wind-rowing. Granulation of debris was also very impressive from both tornadoes though I'd probably side with Joplin on that one. Overall I'd say they were about equal though.

Unrelated note, but I STILL can't get over that absurd study the ASCE undertook in Joplin.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I agree. As you point out Hackleburg-Phil Campbell had about four or five verifiable instances of EF5 structural damage while remaining in rural areas while Joplin had about 17 (?) (not sure of the exact number, but someone posted earlier) houses that were rated EF5 in an densely populated area where the tornado had a lot more debris to work with. Both had equally impressive instances of damage throughout the path (storm shelter in Phil Campbell and concrete basement walls in Joplin) and both produced similar vegetation damage and wind-rowing. Granulation of debris was also very impressive from both tornadoes though I'd probably side with Joplin on that one. Overall I'd say they were about equal though.

Unrelated note, but I STILL can't get over that absurd study the ASCE undertook in Joplin.
The thing about Joplin, is that the most impressive incidents of structural damage were not to houses, but to institutional buildings. St. Johns Medical Center sustained the most severe damage to a high-rise building I have ever heard of. The damage to nearby office buildings was also the worst damage to those type of structures I have ever seen photographed.

Also that engineering survey was performed by people who have no meteorological background and no experience surveying tornado damage. They strayed out of their area expertise, and put together what was probably the most out of touch and off-base damage survey that I know of. It should never have been given any notice to begin with.

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The thing about Joplin, is that the most impressive incidents of structural damage were not to houses, but to institutional buildings. St. Johns Medical Center sustained the most severe damage to a high-rise building I have ever heard of. The damage to nearby office buildings was also the worst damage to those type of structures I have ever seen photographed.

Also that engineering survey was performed by people who have no meteorological background and no experience surveying tornado damage. They strayed out of their area expertise, and put together what was probably the most out of touch and off-base damage survey that I know of. It should never have been given any notice to begin with.
I'm sure you're referring to this?
Joplin-EF5-office-building-damage.JPG
Joplin-EF5-damage-hospital.JPG
Yeah, the pictures really speak for themselves.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I'm sure you're referring to this?
View attachment 8283
View attachment 8284
Yeah, the pictures really speak for themselves.
Yup. That first one was a large, two story, reinforced masonry-constructed office building with an extremely sturdy metal frame. The photo above actually shows the end of the building that sustained lighter damage. On the other side, the second story floor pancaked onto the first floor, essentially flattening half of the building. In addition, a reinforced concrete set of steps leading to a concrete platform was warped and cracked. I've never seen damage to a structure of this type that is even close to what happened here.
7CpGNA7.jpg

Last edited:

Robinson lee

Reaction score
The author believes that the tornado outbreak in Northeast China on July 31, 1987 was seriously underestimated. There are more than 15 tornadoes, two of which are F4 plus. The tornado in the picture below is from Keshan farm in Heilongjiang Province. Tornado destroyed a large number of agricultural machinery, caused serious damage, grassland was washed away, a 3-ton oil tank was thrown 1.5 kilometers away. This is one of the most powerful tornadoes in China. A few hours later, another F4 tornado occurred in Hailun City, Heilongjiang Province. The tornado blew a four ton machine for a kilometer and flattened a village. In addition to these two F4 tornadoes, there are still some tornadoes with at least F3 intensity. Unfortunately, the pictures are buried. Coincidentally, there were F4 tornadoes in edmondton, Canada on that day. Such atmospheric changes are really interesting

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021_0404_084717.png
    Screenshot_2021_0404_084717.png
    141.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 197cae21f8cc2d625eddce740f694f149494ac26df4a6caf234dd960fb3ff84b.0.PNG
    197cae21f8cc2d625eddce740f694f149494ac26df4a6caf234dd960fb3ff84b.0.PNG
    818.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 048365588786ef809468387a9efff093073405563b905432fd16f2ba6918d91c.0.PNG
    048365588786ef809468387a9efff093073405563b905432fd16f2ba6918d91c.0.PNG
    762.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1f1a91cd5b890e73f04d802d38763dba20e31af3bcb51259b4d5c660673f8026.0.PNG
    1f1a91cd5b890e73f04d802d38763dba20e31af3bcb51259b4d5c660673f8026.0.PNG
    762.5 KB · Views: 0

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yup. That first one was a large, two story, reinforced masonry-constructed office building with an extremely sturdy metal frame. The photo above actually shows the end of the building that sustained lighter damage. On the other side, the second story floor pancaked onto the first floor, essentially flattening half of the building. I've never seen damage to a structure of this type that is even close to what happened here.
Not to mention that the structure's frame is clearly bent which makes this even more impressive.

speedbump305

Reaction score
Yup. That first one was a large, two story, reinforced masonry-constructed office building with an extremely sturdy metal frame. The photo above actually shows the end of the building that sustained lighter damage. On the other side, the second story floor pancaked onto the first floor, essentially flattening half of the building. I've never seen damage to a structure of this type that is even close to what happened here.
I’m honestly starting to believe Joplin was more intense than a bunch of other violent tornadoes. the more i think about it, joplin might be more stronger than Moore 2013, Parkersburg, Andover, and probably bridge creek.

buckeye05

Reaction score
The author believes that the tornado outbreak in Northeast China on July 31, 1987 was seriously underestimated. There are more than 15 tornadoes, two of which are F4 plus. The tornado in the picture below is from Keshan farm in Heilongjiang Province. Tornado destroyed a large number of agricultural machinery, caused serious damage, grassland was washed away, a 3-ton oil tank was thrown 1.5 kilometers away. This is one of the most powerful tornadoes in China. A few hours later, another F4 tornado occurred in Hailun City, Heilongjiang Province. The tornado blew a four ton machine for a kilometer and flattened a village. In addition to these two F4 tornadoes, there are still some tornadoes with at least F3 intensity. Unfortunately, the pictures are buried. Coincidentally, there were F4 tornadoes in edmondton, Canada on that day. Such atmospheric changes are really interesting
I've never heard of this outbreak before. Fascinating stuff. Based purely on my own observations, it seems that Asian tornado season tends to peak in the summer months of July and August. Is this true?

I’m honestly starting to believe Joplin was more intense than a bunch of other violent tornadoes. the more i think about it, joplin might be more stronger than Moore 2013, Parkersburg, Andover, and probably bridge creek.
Maybe stronger than Andover, but the rest? Not a chance.

pohnpei

Reaction score

I am quite curious about why some engineers hold so different opinion about nearly the same thing. Once they thought some damage have to take winds like 400 or 500mph to do this. Now it only takes 135mph winds or so to do some seemingly impressive damage.
Speaking of this, there were other things confused me for long time.

The first video showed Starbucks destroyed by Kokomo tornado 2016 and rated EF3. The second video showed First State Bank destroyed by Pakersburg tornado and rated EF2. I think it's safe to say winds hit the bank in the second video was waaaaaaay stronger than the first video, which also can be easily judged from the overall contextual damage nearby, but not from the structure damage itself alone. These were two cases just happen to be recorded by video. I think there will be way more cases like this if there were more video recording.
This may give me a hint about what exactly went wrong of some of the engineering researches. Deducting wind speed of the failure situation of one structure alone then regardless of any other damage indicator nearby can lead to wrong conclusion in some occasions.

Last edited:

speedbump305

Reaction score
I've never heard of this outbreak before. Fascinating stuff. Based purely on my own observations, it seems that Asian tornado season tends to peak in the summer months of July and August. Is this true?

Eh probably actually.

Robinson lee

Reaction score

Yes, because there will be cold vortex and Meiyu front in Asia from June to August at the same time, some supercell storms above Meiyu front will produce tornadoes. For China, in addition to the well-known Funing tornado. There are also Tianchang tornado in 2007 and Gaoyou tornado in 2000, both of which have reached the strength of F3. Northeast China and Mongolia are affected by the cold vortex in summer. Obviously, there will be some tornadoes, and the number may be underestimated

buckeye05

Reaction score
A lot of you have probably already seen most of these already, but here is my "Parkersburg was way more violent than everyone remembers" post. The damage that occurred in the golf course subdivision at the east side of town was about as high-end as it gets. These large homes were of exceptional construction, and some were left with virtually no visible debris. The type of damage that occurred in this area was about on par with Bridge Creek 1999. The last photo is an aerial of this area. Notice how there is no traceable debris pattern at some of the obliterated homes:
WhMfPcA.png

eQ4R7jc.jpg

RBTFF76.png

Z4oVbh7.png

3J2b2S4.png

OidMbRz.jpg

pohnpei

Reaction score
Yes, yet another day that two violent historic tornado event happened on the same day in two different continent. Another one was Yancheng tornado 1966/3/3 and Candlestick Park tornado 1966/3/3. Very interesting thing.

Last edited:

pohnpei

Reaction score
A lot of you have probably already seen most of these already, but here is my "Parkersburg was way more violent than everyone remembers" post. The damage that occurred in the golf course subdivision at the east side of town was about as high-end as it gets. These large homes were of exceptional construction, and some were left with virtually no visible debris. The type of damage that occurred in this area was about on par with Bridge Creek 1999. The last photo is an aerial of this area. Notice how there is no traceable debris pattern at some of the obliterated homes:
WhMfPcA.png

eQ4R7jc.jpg

RBTFF76.png

Z4oVbh7.png

3J2b2S4.png

OidMbRz.jpg
I want to ask that do you happen to know the the exact location of the houses in third pic you showed? Was it belong to one of the destroyed house showed on the last pic of your post? Or maybe further East of this place?

Reaction score
Since Parkersburg has been dug up again, I figured I'd link to my previous post on it: https://talkweather.com/threads/significant-tornado-events.1276/page-20#post-45851

Some more impressive photos. The first one is of rebar that was snapped at a home near downtown Parkersburg, the second is of the large industrial that was levelled and partially swept off its foundation. Note the lack of debris in the photo, this was NOT due to debris cleanup.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

buckeye05

Reaction score
I want to ask that do you happen to know the the exact location of the houses in third pic you showed? Was it belong to one of the destroyed house showed on the last pic of your post? Or maybe further East of this place?
So that house is the same one shown in the first photo. It’s also in the distance of the second photo on the right, and is slightly left of center in the last photo.

pohnpei

Reaction score
WhMfPcA.png

eQ4R7jc.jpg

RBTFF76.png

Z4oVbh7.png

3J2b2S4.png

OidMbRz.jpg
2c1cf60c0c0192ce62bfa9182b17fc51ade77a4b_raw.png
Img_2021-04-04-09-41-35.jpg
The vehicle damage inside this golf course was also just ridiculous strong. The intensity of the tornado in this area was insane.

speedbump305

Reaction score
P
View attachment 8292
View attachment 8293
The vehicle damage inside this golf course was also just ridiculous strong. The intensity of the tornado in this area was insane.
In my opinion Parkersburg was definitely one of the most violent ever recorded. and was definitely more intense than joplin and moore 2013 and quite possibly bridge creek and andover. Parkersburg, Smithville, Hackleburg, El Reno 2011, Jarrell, Philadelphia, Moore 2013, Andover, and Brandenburg were probably the top 10 tornaodes that were the most violent. these are not in order

Back