• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score

Seems like a Smithville's picture. Not sure whether it had been posted here before.

There was a video from that spot posted on youtube but I cannot find it anymore. They must have pulled it down. They were looking at it as they got into their shelter. The tornado came through about a 1/4 west of that spot but everything there was leveled. I lived in that neighborhood for 4 years and watched a lot of storms come from that direction... they always came from that direction.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
One last Upper Midwest event I'd like to talk about for now: the April 30, 1936 Iowa-Minnesota tornado outbreak. It has been mentioned in this thread before but I'll elaborate more on the event. The first notable event of this outbreak was the Lake Okoboji IA F4. Cottages and homes along the lake were swept away or completely leveled. This tornado continued through the countryside leveling entire farms before moving through (and dissipating in) Terrace Park where more homes were destroyed. The contextual damage this tornado produced was rather impressive with trees being heavily debarked, cars being thrown up to 330 yards with one Plymouth car being wrapped around a tree, scouring occurred as "two places appeared as if swept by a huge broom. Oats and shelled corn mixed with mud was plastered everywhere." Two people were killed by this tornado.
1936tor.png

img
img

img

-
2 hours later a much larger and longer-tracked event touched down on the south edge of Estherville IA. 430 ft of railroad track on a bridge in the southern half of Estherville was torn up before this tornado moved into rural areas and begin to rapidly intensify. In the rural areas of Emmet County IA the tornado was extremely violent. Entire farms were swept away with debris being scattered over a wide area, trees were stripped of all but the largest branches and debarked, dirt inches deep was plastered against the walls of one farmhouse, mattresses were carried up to a mile and a half, and cars were thrown. The storm started to weaken as it entered Martin County MN but was still intense enough to level farms including ones that were damaged by another tornado/downburst complex that passed through the county earlier. The tornado dissipated into a downburst complex as it approached Blue Earth MN. 2 people were killed in MN and over 61 were injured in both MN/IA.
Screenshot_2021-03-24 WinterOf36 pdf.png
img3.jpg
img4.jpg
IMG_0742.jpgIMG_0743.jpg
Screenshot_2021-03-24 Screenshot.png
Screenshot_2021-03-24 Estherville Enterprise, Page9, 1936-05-06 pdf.png

Attachments

• img3.jpg
    img3.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0

locomusic01

Reaction score
One last Upper Midwest event I'd like to talk about for now: the April 30, 1936 Iowa-Minnesota tornado outbreak. It has been mentioned in this thread before but I'll elaborate more on the event. The first notable event of this outbreak was the Lake Okoboji IA F4. Cottages and homes along the lake were swept away or completely leveled. This tornado continued through the countryside leveling entire farms before moving through (and dissipating in) Terrace Park where more homes were destroyed. The contextual damage this tornado produced was rather impressive with trees being heavily debarked, cars being thrown up to 330 yards with one Plymouth car being wrapped around a tree, scouring occurred as "two places appeared as if swept by a huge broom. Oats and shelled corn mixed with mud was plastered everywhere." Two people were killed by this tornado.
View attachment 7412

img
img

img

-
2 hours later a much larger and longer-tracked event touched down on the south edge of Estherville IA. 430 ft of railroad track on a bridge in the southern half of Estherville was torn up before this tornado moved into rural areas and begin to rapidly intensify. In the rural areas of Emmet County IA the tornado was extremely violent. Entire farms were swept away with debris being scattered over a wide area, trees were stripped of all but the largest branches and debarked, dirt inches deep was plastered against the walls of one farmhouse, mattresses were carried up to a mile and a half, and cars were thrown. The storm started to weaken as it entered Martin County MN but was still intense enough to level farms including ones that were damaged by another tornado/downburst complex that passed through the county earlier. The tornado dissipated into a downburst complex as it approached Blue Earth MN. 2 people were killed in MN and over 61 were injured in both MN/IA.
Couple other photos from this event:

cmerCyO.jpg

Crlgbyh.jpg

PFCKcjs.jpg

pjoA6Pa.jpg

dnJosPi.jpg

n93uF0l.jpg

speedbump305

Reaction score
What do y’all think is the most notable tornado of 2011? not in terms of damage or what not, but like all the major tornadoes of that year ranked by how shocking and historical they were

locomusic01

Reaction score
So, I don't remember if I ever posted this before (I know, that seems to be a running theme here), but Oklahoma was visited by a massive, extremely violent tornado in the spring of 1947. And no, not Woodward. The next month, on May 31, a large section of the town of Leedey was virtually obliterated by a tornado that - according to several people who witnessed both - was actually even more intense than Woodward. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to agree with that, but it's certainly in the same conversation:

First, we'll start with something unusual for that time period: a sequence of photos showing the early stages + strengthening of the tornado itself.

S8EcxyF.jpg

G7UknBy.jpg

The first few homes it encountered were almost entirely flattened. Nearby, an Oldsmobile was thrown into a tree and demolished:

eNhQJXl.jpg

OprYBXD.jpg

ueoB20e.jpg

Needless to say, things escalated rather swiftly from there. After blowing down the town's water tower, the tornado proceeded to absolutely obliterate home after home after home.

2BZ7BFY.jpg

5SlX45L.jpg

B6Aywb8.jpg

UzUDzyg.jpg

n9bJkIc.jpg

OAfp8cY.jpg

RL39LCd.jpg

BwzWv1i.jpg

Two churches and a hotel were destroyed as well:

c0iTx9x.jpg

zFi5zHK.jpg

ZcvlUb6.jpg

JCev8PF.jpg

A number of vehicles were thrown great distances and crumpled into nearly unrecognizable balls, like this one-ton pickup that was parked not far from the Baptist church:

3N7O3c0.jpg

In some areas, the ground was reportedly scoured to a depth of a foot or more. Debris was granulated so badly in the core of the path one person remarked that "at least at Woodward there was debris left." By the time the tornado lifted, it had almost literally erased an entire swath right through the middle of Leedey:

2VvxbTM.jpg

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
So, I don't remember if I ever posted this before (I know, that seems to be a running theme here), but Oklahoma was visited by a massive, extremely violent tornado in the spring of 1947. And no, not Woodward. The next month, on May 31, a large section of the town of Leedey was virtually obliterated by a tornado that - according to several people who witnessed both - was actually even more intense than Woodward. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to agree with that, but it's certainly in the same conversation:

First, we'll start with something unusual for that time period: a sequence of photos showing the early stages + strengthening of the tornado itself.

S8EcxyF.jpg

G7UknBy.jpg

The first few homes it encountered were almost entirely flattened. Nearby, an Oldsmobile was thrown into a tree and demolished:

eNhQJXl.jpg

OprYBXD.jpg

ueoB20e.jpg

Needless to say, things escalated rather swiftly from there. After blowing down the town's water tower, the tornado proceeded to absolutely obliterate home after home after home.

2BZ7BFY.jpg

5SlX45L.jpg

B6Aywb8.jpg

UzUDzyg.jpg

n9bJkIc.jpg

OAfp8cY.jpg

RL39LCd.jpg

BwzWv1i.jpg

c0iTx9x.jpg

zFi5zHK.jpg

ZcvlUb6.jpg

JCev8PF.jpg

A number of vehicles were thrown great distances and crumpled into nearly unrecognizable balls, like this one-ton pickup that was parked not far from the Baptist church:

3N7O3c0.jpg

In some areas, the ground was reportedly scoured to a depth of a foot or more. Debris was granulated so badly in the core of the path one person remarked that "at least at Woodward there was debris left." By the time the tornado lifted, it had almost literally erased an entire swath right through the middle of Leedey:

2VvxbTM.jpg
Leedey was basically if Jarrell went through a town.

OHWX97

Reaction score

This picture of the Rainsville tornado, holy smokes.

Horrifying images like that were all too common that day. It reminds me a lot of the picture taken by a UPS driver moments after the Tuscaloosa tornado crossed I-359.
5716710423_841d996772_o.jpg

Here's a video of the driver being interviewed as well as some aftermath footage.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was reading on the Tri State tornado of 1925 and it formed in some unusual conditions. Sometimes along its track temperatures were only in the low 60s and dews in the mid 50s. Usually it was in an environment with temps in the mid to upper 60s and dews in the mid 50s to near 60. I wonder how low temps and dews can be in the formation of a violent tornado. There must have been some high SRH, wind shear, and steep mid level lapse rates contributing to high CAPE values on March 18, 1925. https://stormtrack.org/community/th...s-with-f-4-ef-4-and-f-5-e-f5-tornadoes.27344/

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Speaking of F5 tornadoes, what was probably one of the best candidates for an F5 from the 1870s struck the city of Richmond MO on June 1, 1878. This narrow but extremely violent tornado tore across the most thickly built part of Richmond completely devastating it. Homes were swept away or obliterated with debris being ground down into 1 foot wide fragments, large locust trees were completely debarked, grass was completely scoured from the ground, a large iron bridge was destroyed and gravestones were shattered.

Reaction score

S8EcxyF.jpg

G7UknBy.jpg

eNhQJXl.jpg

OprYBXD.jpg

ueoB20e.jpg

2BZ7BFY.jpg

5SlX45L.jpg

B6Aywb8.jpg

UzUDzyg.jpg

n9bJkIc.jpg

OAfp8cY.jpg

RL39LCd.jpg

BwzWv1i.jpg

c0iTx9x.jpg

zFi5zHK.jpg

ZcvlUb6.jpg

JCev8PF.jpg

3N7O3c0.jpg

2VvxbTM.jpg
Yeah, I posted stuff on this thing a while back but at least it's being resurrected in this thread. This thing was surprisingly well documented for the time.

Back