• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

speedbump305

Reaction score
Hey guys. i’m Adam speedie and i live in cypress i’m new to this forum and i really enjoy it. i’ve been reading this whole thing and there are a few things i do want to cover. First i’ll cover April 27 and then Joplin Vs Moore! i love tornadoes and i hope y’all enjoy my research!

Marshal79344

Reaction score
As you all probably know, there's been some disagreement over whether the June 8th, 1984 Barneveld, Wisconsin Tornado was actually an F5. I did some digging, and these photos below are quite impressive. What was very unusual about this tornado is how rapidly the tornado intensified as it moved northeast through the town. The subdivision at the northernmost part of Barneveld was hit the worst with classic violent tornado damage indicators present everywhere.

Ground photos from this subdivision:

19840608BARNEVELD10.jpg
19840608BARNEVELD4.jpg19840608BARNEVELD11.jpg
19840608BARNEVLELD.jpg

Elsewhere in Barneveld:

19840608BARNEVELD5.jpg
19840608BARNEVELD4.jpg
19840608BARNEVLELD6.jpg

Aerials:

19840608BARNEVELDAERIAL4.PNG

Only good aerial of the F5 subdivision I could get:

19840608BARNEVLELD10.PNG

You can see the subdivision with F5 damage at the bottom in this aerial

19840608BARNEVELD12.PNG

Attachments

• 19840608BARNEVELD6.jpg
    19840608BARNEVELD6.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 0

speedbump305

Reaction score
Ok y’all so i saw the debate about Joplin and Moore and here is my personal debate.
For ground scouring Moore wins. it produced more intense ground scouring. The Ground Scouring in Moore was comparable to Jarrell.
Joplin did produce intense ground scouring, but not as intense as moore or jarrell. but i have come to the conclusion that Joplin was more intense. Here’s why

The Asphalt and Pavement scouring was way more intense in parking lots and roads

The Damage to the St. john’s hospital. the foundation and underpinning system was so badly damaged.

the damage to the schools was more intense imo because of just how well built the schools were. they were so well built they were rated EF5. The damage in schools in Moore were rated EF4.

300 Pound Parking Stops being torn and thrown

manhole covers sucked up and scattered

the staircase to a house being warped deformed and cracked

basement wall being blown outward

The EXTRAORDINARY debris granulation and wind rowing. the granulation was built probably just as intense as Jarrell and the brick granulation or smithville.

anchors being torn out of five warehouses that were obliterated

extremely severe debarking of healthy trees

the car damage i saw was more intense. the amount of cars wrapped around trees, mangled beyond recognition, striped to frames, and bent into shapes was incredible

with these cases i’m presenting joplin more intense. the schools in moore weren’t too well built.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
On June 7, 1936, what was likely one of the most intense tornadoes in Idaho history struck eastern Nez Perce County. It was narrow and only tracked a 4/5 of a mile but it was intense potentially even violent. Per local newspapers, a sturdy farmhouse was reduced to a bare concrete foundation with debris being scattered up to three miles, a large barn "disappeared," a heavy kitchen range was carried a half a block, threshing machinery was carried over 200 ft, a detached garage was destroyed with the automobile being overturned and moved and a postal card was found over 12 miles away. The two people who lived on the farm were killed with one being thrown from the house and mangled. I'm trying to find more information about this tornado but it sounds like an F4.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Colfax, WI, F5 tornado of 06/04/1958 produced some remarkable granulation of debris and debarking of trees:

colfax-f5-tornado-damage-1958.png

In his Significant Tornadoes, Thomas P. Grazulis lists the Colfax event as F4, but non-structural indicators seem F5.

Reaction score
Never seen that picture of the truck in the basement, pretty incredible. I do some of the fatalities here were people in basements, perhaps that's one of the places that occurred. Also, back in 2013 I drove through Greensburg on a road trip and that part of town with the well-built houses swept away that you mentioned still (at least then) had some empty foundations or basements still visible. Unfortunately I never got any pictures of them at the time as I wasn't into tornadoes as much as I am now but if I'm ever out there again I'll see if its possible to get some photographs (hopefully I'm not trespassing).
Is that green structure in the bottom pic the town's water tower? If so, that's pretty impressive.
Yes, and interestingly, the Udall F5, which originated in a very similar fashion and supercell, also destroyed the only water tower in the town it hit. Both the Udall and Greensburg tornadoes originated in cyclic, high-precipitation, relatively slow-moving supercells whose precipitation shields were strikingly reminiscent of one another, even though the Udall tornado occurred in a relatively primitive era, radar-wise; both tornadoes also coincided with and were backlit by vivid lightning. Incidentally, as has been mentioned previously, both the Udall and Greensburg supercells were also rather similar to the Jordan, IA, storm of 06/13/1976.

speedbump305

Reaction score
The Colfax, WI, F5 tornado of 06/04/1958 produced some remarkable granulation of debris and debarking of trees:

colfax-f5-tornado-damage-1958.png

In his Significant Tornadoes, Thomas P. Grazulis lists the Colfax event as F4, but non-structural indicators seem F5.
Wow! that seems pretty intense. So earlier i heard someone say that the 2013 El Reno Tornado was more intense than the 2013 Moore Tornado. i really disagreed because the damage in moore was seriously intense and the vegetation scouring and tree damage was more intense overall. 2013 El Reno was overrated and deserves its EF3 rating

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
What exactly about central Texas makes it conducive to these kind of events? What exactly made Jarrell so phenomenally intense?
Also, I swear there's another picture from this thing, with a beat up pickup truck and severe ground scouring visible in the background but I can't seem to find it at the moment.
Worries me because of two reasons. One, I'm now about 15 miles as the crow flies from Jarrell. Two, there is a casual attitude about tornadoes here in Austin and almost zero basements because of the ground. I won't even mention the population explosion since the Jarrell F5.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Overall, I'd say Moore 2013 is more intense then Joplin due to the much more pronouncing ground scouring, that said, it only killed 23 people. Joplin was the first tornado since 1953 to kill 100+ people. Ultimately, neither of these tornadoes hold a candle to events like Jarrell or Smithville, obviously.
Since I lived in Smithville and am blessed with a photographic memory of my surroundings when I have been to a place for a while, I can tell you one of the things that Moore, Joplin, Jarrell, and several of the F5's discussed here is the complete lack of anything left in these areas.

Smithville was green with huge oaks and pines all over that side of town and new homes and buildings. Afterward, there were no debarking of trees, there just were no 100-year-old + huge oaks there. Not knocked over or uprooted, just nothing left but the ground and some concrete slabs.

It's like you took a razor and cut everything away at ground level. I see the same thing in the other pictures of these events.

My brother never found his boat so I imagine it was pulverized. His aluminum boat was found a few miles away wrapped in the top of a 30-foot white oak.

buckeye05

Reaction score
For further analyzing this problem, I made some comparion before and after torndao of this area.
Not denying the existence of the ground scouring, but the ground of this prominent scouring area did have some apparent difference from the surrounding's surface. Due to the fact that this place was already bare before the tornado, the ground scouring showed in the pictures I posted before may not be that severe, which at least provide an explanation about the obvious incongruity between different DIs in this motorsports park ,though It was still a quite violent tornado anyway.
View attachment 6673
View attachment 6667
View attachment 6674
View attachment 6672
View attachment 6669

View attachment 6670
Good job on this. I was always suspicious of much of the alleged “ground scouring” at Holly Springs, as it never looked quite right or consistent with actual significant scouring imo.

It’s important to not assume every spot of ground discoloration after a tornado is ground scouring, and it’s also important to try to figure out if the discoloration was there prior to the tornado. There are many things that can look like ground scouring, but aren’t.

buckeye05

Reaction score
As you all probably know, there's been some disagreement over whether the June 8th, 1984 Barneveld, Wisconsin Tornado was actually an F5. I did some digging, and these photos below are quite impressive. What was very unusual about this tornado is how rapidly the tornado intensified as it moved northeast through the town. The subdivision at the northernmost part of Barneveld was hit the worst with classic violent tornado damage indicators present everywhere.

Ground photos from this subdivision:

View attachment 6675
View attachment 6677View attachment 6676
View attachment 6680

Elsewhere in Barneveld:

View attachment 6678
View attachment 6677
View attachment 6681

Aerials:

View attachment 6682

Only good aerial of the F5 subdivision I could get:

View attachment 6684

You can see the subdivision with F5 damage at the bottom in this aerial

View attachment 6685
Really impressive photos there but unfortunately, without anchor bolts present in the alleged F5 area (in other photos I’ve seen), I gotta call this one F4.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
For further analyzing this problem, I made some comparion before and after torndao of this area.
Not denying the existence of the ground scouring, but the ground of this prominent scouring area did have some apparent difference from the surrounding's surface. Due to the fact that this place was already bare before the tornado, the ground scouring showed in the pictures I posted before may not be that severe, which at least provide an explanation about the obvious incongruity between different DIs in this motorsports park ,though It was still a quite violent tornado anyway.
View attachment 6673
View attachment 6667
View attachment 6674
View attachment 6672
View attachment 6669

View attachment 6670
Hmm interesting so I guess that wasn't extreme scouring after all though real significant scouring occurred elsewhere along the tornado's path and there still appears to be grass scouring in Motorsports Park area.

Last edited:

Marshal79344

Reaction score
Really impressive photos there but unfortunately, without anchor bolts present in the alleged F5 area (in other photos I’ve seen), I gotta call this one F4.
The threshold for F5 back then is much different than what the threshold for EF5 is now. As long as you have homes swept away and actual contextual evidence of a truly violent tornado, you'd get an F5 rating. Things stayed this way until very recently. I'm keeping it as an F5.

buckeye05

Reaction score
The threshold for F5 back then is much different than what the threshold for EF5 is now. As long as you have homes swept away and actual contextual evidence of a truly violent tornado, you'd get an F5 rating. Things stayed this way until very recently. I'm keeping it as an F5.
Oh trust me I know, I’m just insinuating that like Xenia, it wouldn’t be rated an EF5 today, and that I wish anchoring was taken into account back then.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Buckeye, i’m just curious, if you had to put the tri state tornado on a top 10 list of most intense tornadoes in History, where would it place
I'm not sure exactly, I've never sat down and put a list together. I would say Tri-State would be in my top five for sure though. You know what, now I want to make a list lol.

I'd say the the absolute worst of the worst, most violent tornadoes of all time were these, in no particular order:

-Camanche, IA 1860
-Rochester, MN 1883
-Pomeroy, IA 1893
-Sherman, TX 1896
-New Richmond, WI 1899
-Fergus Falls, MN 1919
-Tri-State, 1925
-Rocksprings, TX 1927
-Tupelo, MS 1936
-Oberlin, KS 1942
-Woodward, OK 1947
-Leedey, OK 1947
-Udall, KS 1955
-Dunlap, IN 1965
-Jackson, MS 1966
-Tianjin, China 1969
-San Justo, Argentina 1973
-Brandenburg, KY 1974
-Guin, AL 1974
-Niles, OH 1985
-Bakersfield Valley, TX 1990
-Stratton, NE 1990
-Andover, KS 1991
-Jarrell, TX 1997
-Bridge Creek, OK 1999
-Harper, KS 2004
-Parkersburg, IA 2008
-Smithville, MS 2011
-Philadelphia, MS 2011
-Hackleburg, AL 2011
-Joplin, MO 2011
-El Reno, OK 2011
-Chickasha, OK 2011
-Goldsby, OK 2011
-Moore, OK 2013
-Vilonia, AR 2014
-Chapman, KS 2016

My absolutely subjective top 10:
1.) Smithville, MS
2.) Jarrell, TX
3.) Tri-State Tornado
4.) Bakersfield Valley, TX
5.) Philadelphia, MS
6.) Bridge Creek, OK
7.) Moore, OK
8.) Joplin, MO
9.) Parkersburg, IA
10.) Hackleburg, AL

Last edited:

speedbump305

Reaction score
Since I lived in Smithville and am blessed with a photographic memory of my surroundings when I have been to a place for a while, I can tell you one of the things that Moore, Joplin, Jarrell, and several of the F5's discussed here is the complete lack of anything left in these areas.

Smithville was green with huge oaks and pines all over that side of town and new homes and buildings. Afterward, there were no debarking of trees, there just were no 100-year-old + huge oaks there. Not knocked over or uprooted, just nothing left but the ground and some concrete slabs.

It's like you took a razor and cut everything away at ground level. I see the same thing in the other pictures of these events.

My brother never found his boat so I imagine it was pulverized. His aluminum boat was found a few miles away wrapped in the top of a 30-foot white oak.
I'm not sure exactly, I've never sat down and put a list together. I would say Tri-State would be in my top five for sure though. You know what, now I want to make a list lol.

I'd say the the absolute worst of the worst, most violent tornadoes of all time were these, in no particular order:

-Camanche, IA 1860
-Rochester, MN 1883
-Pomeroy, IA 1893
-Sherman, TX 1896
-New Richmond, WI 1899
-Fergus Falls, MN 1919
-Tri-State, 1925
-Rocksprings, TX 1927
-Tupelo, MS 1936
-Woodward, OK 1947
-Leedey, OK 1947
-Udall, KS 1955
-Dunlap, IN 1965
-Jackson, MS 1966
-Tianjin, China 1969
-San Justo, Argentina 1973
-Brandenburg, KY 1974
-Guin, AL 1974
-Niles, OH 1985
-Bakersfield Valley, TX 1990
-Stratton, NE 1990
-Andover, KS 1991
-Jarrell, TX 1997
-Bridge Creek, OK 1999
-Harper, KS 2004
-Parkersburg, IA 2008
-Smithville, MS 2011
-Philadelphia, MS 2011
-Hackleburg, AL 2011
-Joplin, MO 2011
-El Reno, OK 2011
-Chickasha, OK 2011
-Goldsby, OK 2011
-Moore, OK 2013
-Vilonia, AR 2014
-Chapman, KS 2016

My absolutely subjective top 10:
1.) Smithville, MS
2.) Jarrell, TX
3.) Tri-State Tornado
4.) Bakersfield Valley, TX
5.) Philadelphia, MS
6.) Bridge Creek, OK
7.) Moore, OK
8.) Joplin, MO
9.) Parkersburg, IA
10.) Hackleburg, AL
Your list is pretty good, but i want to talk about Smithville for a moment, we all know how incredibly violent it was, but i actually think Hackleburg was just as violent here’s why

I’ll say this. From what i’ve seen, the damage from the Smithville tornado was marginal EF5, pretty much what you normally see in EF5 tornadoes, but when it hit the subdivision and the funeral home, that’s where i think it reached a second peak intensity. the first time at the Cox home and the trench digging. Carpet being stripped away is not uncommon in EF5 tornadoes as well as sweeping away some of the flooring. there have been a few EF4 tornadoes that have done this. anchors being torn out has happened with many EF5 tornadoes. Rainsville, Joplin, and Hackleburg being examples. The NWS even says the winds to tear up anchor bolts are above 205 mph. for the appliances and plumbing being shredded, that was at the end of the subdivision. not the whole path. and the ground scouring across smithville was pretty much normal in EF5 tornadoes as well. the metal waste pipe, the softwood tree damage near the funeral home, and the granulated brick at the funeral home are the main reasons why i consider it high end EF5, and with the Cox home. tree damage to hardwood trees was no more intense than other EF5s as well.

Hackleburg produced EXTREMELY intense instances of damage

apparently from a survivor of the tornado, his home was dislodged 3 feet off square and the whole basement caved in

the image of concrete being torn out, i actually think that was a home foundation. it looked too thick to be a garage or outbuilding foundation.

stem walling was sheared and ripped

anchors were ripped out in EF5 fashion

The ground scouring from Mount hope-Tanner i heard was very intense

mangled vehicles and crushed into balls and shapes

grass scoured from hillsides

the Hackleburg tornado was the only tornado to ever sweep away a 3 story concrete building. The Wrangler Plant. beams and everything were broken and twisted.

With the storm shelter, it was legit, it tore up the concrete roof. only tornado to ever do that

the tree damage to hardwood trees and large healthy trees was a little more intense in my opinion than Smithville, but the softwood damage at the end of Smithville was extremely intense

the poured concrete it tore was granulated severely

carpet was stripped and flooring as well. y’all might not believe me, but it is very common for that to happen in EF5 tornadoes

pavement and asphalt being scoured and sucked up.

the extremely intense wind rowing and granulation of debris, people think the brick in smithville happened everywhere, it didn’t, it only happened at the funeral home. the granulation and wind rowing throughout most of the path was normal.

With this instance, i’m presenting the Hackleburg and Smithville tornadoes being tied because of just how extreme they were. remember alabama soil is way stronger than mississippi soil.

one more thing. the SUV being lifted was also very impressive. Hackleburg managed to throw a tractor 2 miles and both tornadoes had a large vehicle never found.

These Tornadoes deserve to be the top of the list and were both extremely violent. i hope y’all agree! :)

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Your list is pretty good, but i want to talk about Smithville for a moment, we all know how incredibly violent it was, but i actually think Hackleburg was just as violent here’s why

I’ll say this. From what i’ve seen, the damage from the Smithville tornado was marginal EF5, pretty much what you normally see in EF5 tornadoes, but when it hit the subdivision and the funeral home, that’s where i think it reached a second peak intensity. the first time at the Cox home and the trench digging. Carpet being stripped away is not uncommon in EF5 tornadoes as well as sweeping away some of the flooring. there have been a few EF4 tornadoes that have done this. anchors being torn out has happened with many EF5 tornadoes. Rainsville, Joplin, and Hackleburg being examples. The NWS even says the winds to tear up anchor bolts are above 205 mph. for the appliances and plumbing being shredded, that was at the end of the subdivision. not the whole path. and the ground scouring across smithville was pretty much normal in EF5 tornadoes as well. the metal waste pipe, the softwood tree damage near the funeral home, and the granulated brick at the funeral home are the main reasons why i consider it high end EF5, and with the Cox home. tree damage to hardwood trees was no more intense than other EF5s as well.

apparently from a survivor of the tornado, his home was dislodged 3 feet off square and the whole basement caved in

the image of concrete being torn out, i actually think that was a home foundation. it looked too thick to be a garage or outbuilding foundation.

the Hackleburg tornado was the only tornado to ever sweep away a 3 story concrete building. The Wrangler Plant. beams and everything were broken and twisted.

With the storm shelter, it was legit, it tore up the concrete roof. only tornado to ever do that

the tree damage to hardwood trees and large healthy trees was a little more intense in my opinion than Smithville, but the softwood damage at the end of Smithville was extremely intense

carpet was stripped and flooring as well. y’all might not believe me, but it is very common for that to happen in EF5 tornadoes

the extremely intense wind rowing and granulation of debris, people think the brick in smithville happened everywhere, it didn’t, it only happened at the funeral home. the granulation and wind rowing throughout most of the path was normal.

With this instance, i’m presenting the Hackleburg and Smithville tornadoes being tied because of just how extreme they were. remember alabama soil is way stronger than mississippi soil.

one more thing. the SUV being lifted was also very impressive. Hackleburg managed to throw a tractor 2 miles and both tornadoes had a large vehicle never found.

These Tornadoes deserve to be the top of the list and were both extremely violent. i hope y’all agree! :)
Uh Smithville was far from a marginal EF5 https://www.tornadotalk.com/the-smithville-ms-ef-5-tornado-april-27-2011/

speedbump305

Reaction score

Move Hackleburg above everything besides jarrell and tie it with Smithville. Jarrell was the most violent tornado in history in my opinion and deserves the king. Hackleburg seems to be underrated imo

Back