• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Weather Threats 1/21-1/22 2017 (Saturday - Sunday)

Reaction score
Any chance the "wedge" in the Atlanta area could help enhance storms as they move closer? I know this can sometimes be the case. Obviously I know the cooler air lowers the chance of severe. But what about the boundary interaction?

Kory

Reaction score
I'm in a chat with Matt Grantham. Reporting a very wide damage path near Albany. He was on the storm as it passed South of town.

xJownage

Reaction score
Any chance the "wedge" in the Atlanta area could help enhance storms as they move closer? I know this can sometimes be the case. Obviously I know the cooler air lowers the chance of severe. But what about the boundary interaction?
I'd say yes, although boundary interaction supercells are generally very limited in these winter systems just due to the cooler air. I don't think the Atlanta storm risk is ridiculously high, but today's an "anything can and will happen" day, so stay wary.

Debris signature much less impressive on the latest scan, although the tornado appears to still be going strong based on the rotation and cutoff. Hopefully that means it's in a more rural area at the moment.

xJownage

Reaction score
The albany supercell seems to be cycling now. Two distinct, strong mesos on the latest scan. Getting closer to KJGX, so will get a better view from radar soon. I'm very interested to see what this storm looks like up close.
55ec03740fc21987b878ec63f768f465.png

Evan

Reaction score
Huge TDS now. NROT of 3.54!!!!

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Just crossed over I-75. Hope dad has either not left Tifton or is already on his way home. I tried to call him and so did mom and didn't get him.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
FFC continues Tornado Warning [tornado: OBSERVED, tornado damage threat: CATASTROPHIC, hail: 1.00 IN] for Crisp, Wilcox [GA] till 4:30 PM EST

Evan

Reaction score
Now a tornado emergency for southern wilcox county. Stay safe, everybody!

Should have issued it 10-15 minutes before it was but not like it really matters...

WesL

Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
FFC issues Tornado Warning [tornado: OBSERVED, tornado damage threat: CONSIDERABLE, hail: 1.00 IN] for Dodge, Laurens, Telfair, Wheeler, Wilcox [GA] till 5:00 PM EST

FFC issues Tornado Warning [tornado: RADAR INDICATED, hail: <.75 IN] for Bleckley, Laurens, Twiggs, Wilkinson [GA] till 4:45 PM EST

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's been traversing a pretty sparsely populated area, but it's approaching two decent-sized towns in Rochelle and Abbeville.

New tornado warning further north near Cochran, which is a bigger town.

WesL

Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
FFC continues Tornado Warning [tornado: RADAR INDICATED, hail: <.75 IN] for Bleckley, Laurens, Twiggs, Wilkinson [GA] till 4:45 PM EST

Back