• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat - November 3rd-6th, 2022

buckeye05

Reaction score
Update on the Cason EF3. It's wind speed estimate has been upped to 155 MPH based on a house that was slabbed. I was confused as to why the description of the homes swept away in Cason mentioned pier foundations, when aerials showed at least one slab foundation home that was swept away. Apparently, that house wasn't added to the DAT until today. The house appears to have been pretty poorly anchored, with apparently some small rusty nails being the only anchoring mechanism. Predictably, they seem to have pulled out and snapped like toothpicks.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Ramset nails, nowhere near anchor bolts. Having to be hardened to shoot into concrete they are brittle. The shape is like a finish nail so not a lot of retaining strength unless washers are used which you can see didn't happen here. Supposedly many homes in Double Creek/ Jarrell were anchored this way. Uber
-cheap vinyl flooring so if original indicates a low-class builder.

Reaction score
Update on the Cason EF3. It's wind speed estimate has been upped to 155 MPH based on a house that was slabbed. I was confused as to why the description of the homes swept away in Cason mentioned pier foundations, when aerials showed at least one slab foundation home that was swept away. Apparently, that house wasn't added to the DAT until today. The house appears to have been pretty poorly anchored, with apparently some small rusty nails being the only anchoring mechanism. Predictably, they seem to have pulled out and snapped like toothpicks.

A
I saw that earlier and I thought that looks like weak construction and poorly attached to the foundation. The contextual damage is also lacking.

Last edited:
Back