• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat - November 29th-30th, 2022

Reaction score
Being that our dynamics are at least partially driven by a subtropical jet, this setup is a lot different than normal dixie setups. The extremely subtle forcing well ahead of the influencing front almost guarantees a discrete mode that can be maintained for hours with multiple rounds possible given enough warm air advection. The lack of convection in the southern half of the target area early on will also make warm air advection easier, making multiple rounds more likely.

Look for SFC backing. Also, keep an eye on these elevated cells in AR right now. Should they intensify, they could leave some weak outflow boundaries, which could serve as spots for both initiation and enhanced SRH to assist in tornadogenesis with ongoing cells.

Yup, this is basically the exact opposite of the "surging cold front" scenario that SPC was talking about when this setup first came into Day 6-7 range. Definitely trended much more ominous for significant tornado potential.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah usually we're seeing a mass of regionwide rain by now over the risk area, the virtually clear conditions over the MDT and subtlety of forcing is pretty ominous for this one

xJownage

Reaction score
Yup, this is basically the exact opposite of the "surging cold front" scenario that SPC was talking about when this setup first came into Day 6-7 range. Definitely trended much more ominous for significant tornado potential.
the subtropical jet assisted with the shifting of the target area to the east, which is why we're having this conversation. One of the meteorologists I talked to noted this at the far out range. It's a significant difference from normal dixie events and something you'll likely only get during the cool season; this is a very unique setup for this area. I don't know of any analogues for this setup, does anybody else?

Reaction score
Also, I've been focusing on MS, but the latest HRRR has a (implied based on simulated reflectivity presentation and updraft helicity) tornadic cell tracking across central into northeastern Louisiana (and perhaps into MS, following the others) this afternoon, as well.

Reaction score
One more thing for now, seems this has really focused into a MS/LA/perhaps AL event. The threat, while non-zero, has decreased quite a bit across most of AR and western TN as compared to how it looked about 18 hours ago. So hindsight being 20/20, probably could have gone ahead with that LZK radar maintenance. Just mother nature trolling the NWS.

xJownage

Reaction score
While it is only one model run, and will likely change in future runs, the 00z run of the 1km WRF-NSSL CAM is unreal. Apologies for the large images. Large UH swaths accompany those supercells.

View attachment 15658

View attachment 15659
I'm not buying this run. Mature supercells on the MS/AL border by 2200 doesn't make sense to me given the nature of the synoptic setup. It's about 2 hours too early imo.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
It was 32.7 degrees where I live about 20 miles north of Birmingham this morning. It doesn't "feel" like a severe weather threat exists over the next 20 hours. I know it doesn't take much unstable air in the winter season to get severe weather, but it seems like central Alabama (particularly north of I-20/59) will have to see a major airmass change for things to get going there. I know there is still plenty of time for an airmass change, but it does make me wonder if it will actually happen for my area.

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Based on obs, warm front is progressing far faster than expected. It's already well into MS and N LA. Thermals are going to slightly overperform, probably by 1-2C, in the entire warm sector.
The Td's are certainly ahead of what is progeed even the 12z run, the lack of rainfall and sunshine is going to speed the arimass recovery.

Reaction score
One of the most valuable things I've learned from discussing severe events on this board, particularly from @Fred Gossage , is how to use subtle differences in the synoptic features (such as wavelength of the 500mb trough) to distinguish between setups that favor discrete supercells firing in the open warm sector, vs. ones that will go to an instant convective mess along the front.

xJownage

Reaction score
The Td's are certainly ahead of what is progeed even the 12z run, the lack of rainfall and sunshine is going to speed the arimass recovery.
This is one of the reasons we're looking at multiple rounds/training cells. WAA is going to be very strong today. The CAMs were missing this yesterday and that's why ensembles especially were so far south. 2 days ago I said this would be a corridor of higher end threat from around 30 miles south of Monroe up to around columbus and I got clowned on other socials, but that's looking like the major threat area right now. Synoptics win again.

With our increasing confidence in location and potential for multiple rounds, would not be surprised to see a 1630Z high for that general area from monroe & slightly south up towards the MS/AL border near Columbus.

Reaction score
I'm not buying this run. Mature supercells on the MS/AL border by 2200 doesn't make sense to me given the nature of the synoptic setup. It's about 2 hours too early imo.
Perhaps it is too early, but the general idea of what this is showing would still be possible at 00z-03z. To me, this is more of a worst case look at what could occur.

xJownage

Reaction score
I don't have much faith in the NSSL. The southern target is overperforming and the northern target is convecting 50 miles too far south imo based on its initialization.

Looking at the below, you can see pretty clearly which of the CAMs are convecting where. This is missing the 1km NSSL that has been posted several times, though. The southern target is a big question mark.
1669738370341.png

Obs are telling me warm front is rapidly moving north and WAA is stronger than expected. Based on the synoptic setup, I think the HRRR actually has a great handle on this.