• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather Threat - November 29th-30th, 2022

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Also have the long lived state crossing supercell really looking vicious west of Montgomery. Winds may be veering in parts of the warm sector but things have certainly decided to not quiet down yet

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A prolific system that didn't quite reach it's possibilities. Had it;s interesting points with strong cells in close proximity, rapid development, cells falling apart just when they reached tornadogenesis, and ever-changing areas of activity. I wish my insomnia hadn't been acting up as I slept through chunks of this then tried to catch up when waking, only to have that happen again :mad:

Better this than a lot of casualties :)

JWard87

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A prolific system that didn't quite reach it's possibilities. Had it;s interesting points with strong cells in close proximity, rapid development, cells falling apart just when they reached tornadogenesis, and ever-changing areas of activity. I wish my insomnia hadn't been acting up as I slept through chunks of this then tried to catch up when waking, only to have that happen again :mad:

Better this than a lot of casualties :)
I get the line of thinking here, but the fatality number needs to be zero. Bar none.

I think this one definitely reached what was originally forecast. This would have fallen in line with what you stated had there been an upgrade beyond the MDT from the SPC.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Anyone get a loop of the Montgomery area tornado? Went to sleep like ten minutes before the most significant tornado of the event apparently

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
In many of these events (certainly not all though) we get caught off guard by how far east into AL that the threat continues even with marginal instability to work with when wind profiles are this impressive; if storms remain surface based with backed winds, I wouldn't let down guard into central AL for nasty leftovers spinning up a few surprises. For the warm sector, storm mode and junk convection is always a question so we'll see if we get the balance necessary for well spaced supercells, which would lead to a pretty unpleasant day in south-central Mississippi... then again, sometimes it only takes one
I don't know why, but every event where we're on the east edge of the risk has to have a Walker County QLCS spin-up, a tornado near Eutaw/Tuscaloosa, and the strongest tornado of the night in reach of Montgomery or that general part of the state; once again the nocturnal tornado spam has been an issue

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Anyone get a loop of the Montgomery area tornado? Went to sleep like ten minutes before the most significant tornado of the event apparently
KMXX - Super-Res Correlation Coefficient 1, 3_21 AM.png

I don't have a loop, but I saved this radar image from when I first noticed the CC drop over northern Montgomery County and the tornado was moving in my direction. Thankfully, it stayed a little north of us, but it was too close for comfort!

Reaction score

Looks like large swaths of the moderate risk area were devoid of severe reports.
While certainly not a busted event, I definitely expected higher-end supercell behavior and consistent severe weather/tornado production from at least 1 or 2 storms, something like the storm of the day on 12/10/21, storms A and B on 5/3/99, every storm on 4/27/11, etc.

Back