• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat - May 6, 2024

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
So here's a box sounding comprising most of central Oklahoma this evening (after dark). This is the HRRR at 12z. For reference, the SARS database that is on all of these SharpPy-based soundings has 13 entries that have 10 or greater STP; 12 of those resulted in confirmed significant (EF2+) tornadoes.

Hoping for the best today and that everyone remains safe.

1715001704459.png

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Do you guys think this could go 45% sig tornado if confidence in storm coverage increases? I do know they still mentioned some uncertainty with it so there's possibly potential for a higher outlook.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There’s really not much for me to add other than let’s hope this busts cataclysmicly, and to the people who are excited for this event (no one on here thankfully) to kindly get a more productive hobby.
I can personally see both sides to that statement so true …. Me being an amateur chaser n severe weather enthusiast , kind like see mother natures power at work , but the downside is loss life property such …. Sucks

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
They both collaborated on the outlook. I should switch the names around I guess as Edwards was the main forecaster with Broyles assisting. But this was a no-brainer IMO.
Yeah this isn’t someone coming in with a super hot take, they said in the previous discussion that they considered it even then but were waiting for increased confidence. 2500-4000 CAPE and 300-500 SRH in an environment where supercells are going to be the preferred mode is a pretty obvious call no matter who the forecaster is.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Do you guys think this could go 45% sig tornado if confidence in storm coverage increases? I do know they still mentioned some uncertainty with it so there's possibly potential for a higher outlook.
Considering the main event won't be until after dark this evening, there's still a LOT of time for changes to the forecast, for better or for worse.

Reaction score
Yeah this isn’t someone coming in with a super hot take, they said in the previous discussion that they considered it even then but were waiting for increased confidence. 2500-4000 CAPE and 300-500 SRH in an environment where supercells are going to be the preferred mode is a pretty obvious call no matter who the forecaster is.
Exactly. I think even Greg Dial could’ve made this call.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I kind of doubt it just given that the storm coverage isn’t going to be that substantial. The 45% is probably better reserved for extreme cases like 4/27/11 where you’ve got a large number of simultaneous tornadic supercells (which probably isn’t going to be the case today).

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Yeah the main warm front is still south of there but if you look at the upstream soundings you can see the type of thermodynamics that are gonna be transported into that area in the next few hours.
People are going to be surprised how rapidly the atmosphere is going to destabilize.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I kind of doubt it just given that the storm coverage isn’t going to be that substantial. The 45% is probably better reserved for extreme cases like 4/27/11 where you’ve got a large number of simultaneous tornadic supercells (which probably isn’t going to be the case today).
Not out the question we see a 45 area added be honest …. North central Oklahoma where I would consider it . Let’s see how todays radar s start ….