• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat - May 6, 2024

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I will partially agree and partially disagree with that statement. While yes, it is true that it shouldn't matter the risk category and then anywhere that sees supercells tomorrow could get significant tornadoes, there is a certain "feel" that comes over the air when a high risk is issued. Secondly, many people, as has been shown by social science work here, actually believe that "enhanced" is stronger wording than "moderate". Thirdly, many people also believe that red (code red/stop sign/red light/emergency) is a stronger color than pink for emphasizing risk. Communication of these things is very complicated, and has to deal with the most complex thing of all -> the human brain.

With all that said, there is certainly a difference in terms of perception and overall coverage (media, social media, etc.) when a high risk is issued versus a moderate, because they are rare and they are saved for outbreak scenarios.

Reaction score
I will partially agree and partially disagree with that statement. While yes, it is true that it shouldn't matter the risk category and then anywhere that sees supercells tomorrow could get significant tornadoes, there is a certain "feel" that comes over the air when a high risk is issued. Secondly, many people, as has been shown by social science work here, actually believe that "enhanced" is stronger wording than "moderate". Thirdly, many people also believe that red (code red/stop sign/red light/emergency) is a stronger color than pink for emphasizing risk. Communication of these things is very complicated, and has to deal with the most complex thing of all -> the human brain.

With all that said, there is certainly a difference in terms of perception and overall coverage (media, social media, etc.) when a high risk is issued versus a moderate, because they are rare and they are saved for outbreak scenarios.
Well said, Andy. I can imagine a high risk triggers all hands on deck with EMAs and all WFOs, correct? Or does that happen with a moderate risk too?

Reaction score

Pink and purple seem stronger than red in my mind. I am not sure if it is because of my love for math or what it is.

Edit

The 60% hatched area for violent tornadoes is blue and I find that to be less intimidating than the 30% pink hatched area and the 45% purple hatched area for strong to violent tornadoes.

jiharris0220

Reaction score

Yea, it’s kinda like the same thing as saying “there’s no difference between a high end ef4 and ef5.

While yes that may be correct, but the level of reactions are far stronger when a tornado is rated ef5 rather than strong ef4.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
There is something about the human psyche that really clues in to the highest end of whatever categorical scale you can think of, the worst of the worst if you will (EF5 tornado, Category 5 hurricane, etc). You can't ignore that.

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
There is something about the human psyche that really clues in to the highest end of whatever categorical scale you can think of, the worst of the worst if you will (EF5 tornado, Category 5 hurricane, etc). You can't ignore that.
Hence the reason why an unsettling number of people flat out ignore everything from Moderate down when a High Risk is drawn.

Clancy

Reaction score
Hence the reason why an unsettling number of people flat out ignore everything from Moderate down when a High Risk is drawn.
Like Andy said, the titles of the risk levels probably have quite a bit to do with that. Granted, there have been efforts to combat that complacency with increased usage of numerical levels alongside, or instead of the titular levels, especially on news stations and the like. That said, I would still like to maybe see a revision to the titles at some point when the SPC has some time to test that out, using some names that are more appropriately scaled, relatively unambiguous and also applicable/easily translatable to different languages. But like others have said, something about those pink HIGH contours just hit different.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah, I remember that as well. However, while not a bust it did underperform.
Assuming you're referring to 4/7/2006... 56 tornadoes and 10 fatalities? Not a Super Outbreak tier event, sure, but not exactly an underperformer either. Plus, keep in mind that this was at the height of "La Plata syndrome" and the Gallatin tornado probably should have been left at F4.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Back during the march 31/april 1 tornado outbreak, the worst I was feeling was a bit of unease when they issued a moderate.

But once those two high risk were placed, my heart rate went up ten fold and I was overcome with an oppressive feeling of dread/doom for the people in those areas.

It’s like watching a cat5 storm about to make landfall, you just can’t help but image how horrific the aftermath is going to be.

There’s a reason why these are so rare and why the meteorological agencies are very strict in pushing the big red button.

SGFmoTwister

Reaction score
Boy, I remember the Weather Channel (not too long after "Twister" was released, maybe Spring '97) had people all over for a supposed 'high risk' day. Wichita, Dallas, OKC, etc. and it was a huge bust! (Thankfully, for all the people who those tornadoes might've impacted.) Still, the Weather Channel had egg on its collective face for some time afterward.