• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat: May 2-5, 2021

Julian

Reaction score
I am becoming less concerned, convection mode is very messy, the chance of an organized cold pool forming is looking less likely...at least northwest of Bham.
The lightning has been insane in the walker county storm. I’m a little surprised the NWS never issued a severe T-Storm warning.

bwalk

Reaction score
Tor warning for Tuscaloosa Co/Fayette Co

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Birmingham AL
1112 AM CDT Tue May 4 2021

The National Weather Service in Birmingham has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
Northwestern Tuscaloosa County in west central Alabama...
Southeastern Fayette County in west central Alabama...

* Until noon CDT.

* At 1112 AM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a
tornado was located 8 miles east of Ashcraft Corner, or 13 miles
south of Fayette, moving east at 30 mph.

Jacob

Reaction score
Tuscaloosa storm looks like it was a transient spinup to me as that boundary moving ESE interacted with the storm.

AL_ham_op

Reaction score
Are we still expecting 2 waves today or what? I saw on Spann's blog where he said yesterday there would be another threat from 3 this afternoon until 10 tonight. Is that still on the table or are things arriving faster than expected?

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So much rain and lightning here. Glad the warned storm is deciding to stay south lol

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
SPC has upgraded portions of central/southern MS and SW AL to a Moderate Risk:

spccoday1.categorical.latest.png

45% hatched wind risk in that area:

spccoday1.wind.latest.png

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Didn't expect that upgrade, but guess all they had to do was hatch the 45% they already had

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Just watching to see if that destructive line that's expected to sweep through the moderate can get cranking; hopefully this far north things can stay fairly stable

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
Just watching to see if that destructive line that's expected to sweep through the moderate can get cranking; hopefully this far north things can stay fairly stable
I’m hoping all of us in and north of this cluster of storms over north-central Alabama right now will be sparred anything too bad from the line this evening. My temperature and dew point have already fallen back into the mid-60s, so hopefully the energy over this part of the state is getting used up.

AL_ham_op

Reaction score
Driving from Cullman to Bham earlier the sun popped out briefly but now we're cloudy again. How is the instability looking for later on today?

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah I'm barely at 70 right now and really doesn't look like there's going to be much sun, unless we get some insane advection hopefully this means everything stays a bit south.

Back