• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat: May 2-5, 2021

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
In all fairness, in Russia the word ураган (literal translation: hurricane) is sometimes used instead of the words смерч or торнадо (literal translations: whirlwind and tornado) when describing tornadoes.

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KM4JKH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I noticed that Sun with a slight risk in MS, the system significantly over performed. Then again today in Ga & Sc with a slight risk the system again over performed. This causes me some concern for tomorrow with an initial risk higher than what was forecasted today. Just makes me go hmmmm???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacob

Reaction score
Line moving through Nashville has produced at least one tornado this morning.

Speaking of, seems strange to me that in the line moving through Nashville currently, we have a tornado in the line produce a clear TDS, and Nashville doesn't update the warning to say confirmed tornado, just "radar-indicated rotation".

Jacob

Reaction score
Line moving through Nashville has produced at least one tornado this morning.

Speaking of, seems strange to me that in the line moving through Nashville currently, we have a tornado in the line produce a clear TDS, and Nashville doesn't update the warning to say confirmed tornado, just "radar-indicated rotation".

TDS has shown on more scans than not for about 20 minutes now, and no confirmed tornado verbiage from Nashville. :confused:

Jacob

Reaction score
Also just had another small spinup just SE of the radar, a little east of Rural Hill. Looked like a small TDS for a single frame. Not much you can do about warning on those though.

Kragg

Reaction score
First TOR of the morning just issued for the cell south of Jackson MS. There are additional cells firing in southern MS.

Attachments

• 9027EF7C-8FCC-4FC8-835D-CF5D202B1E9E.png
    9027EF7C-8FCC-4FC8-835D-CF5D202B1E9E.png
    960.4 KB · Views: 0

Jacob

Reaction score
First TOR of the morning just issued for the cell south of Jackson MS. There are additional cells firing in southern MS.

That storm is quite impressive on radar, it would appear to be a very photogenic storm per radar, I hope there's some chasers in the area that can get some video/pictures of it.

Jacob

Reaction score
That storm is quite impressive on radar, it would appear to be a very photogenic storm per radar, I hope there's some chasers in the area that can get some video/pictures of it.

I *think* we have a TOG.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
In all fairness, in Russia the word ураган (literal translation: hurricane) is sometimes used instead of the words смерч or торнадо (literal translations: whirlwind and tornado) when describing tornadoes.
Yeah, that's fairly common in European languages, e.g. German where the equivalent word "Orkan" is used for any type of cyclonic storm.

Is that warned cell in the bad spot for the Jackson radar again?

MichelleH

Reaction score
Just got a notification on Saf-T-Net that the storm near Hanceville in Cullman County has a medium tornado threat. Does anyone see any rotation?

Edit - Disregard.

Last edited:
Back