• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat Jan 12th, 2023

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
12z euro is about as nasty dynamic wise looking your gunna get if anybody can pull some soundngs it'd be appreciated i think it's a paid feature for some websites

Clancy

Reaction score
Something doesn't sit right with me on the top 5 analogs, they're not representational of the actual threat, been looking at a combination of veterans day and April 15 2011 events. To get a better look at a more similar upper level low placement and lower instability threshold. The top 5 analogs don't mesh well. You have a better idea by looking at some of these events to see what could go wrong here.

Disregard the veterans day event, I looked at it but didn't mean to mention it in this post.
Sometimes CIPS analogs can get wonky so they aren't gospel by any stretch of the imagination. I'm sure things have improved but I remember somewhere seeing that CIPS would pull weird analogs during cold season events.

Clancy

Reaction score
GFS and Euro have questionable moisture return in their 12Z runs, but otherwise seem to have a favorable look (coming from an amateur). Euro has a slower pace and brings the system into the area during the afternoon and evening of Thursday the 12th whereas the GFS would have it raking over AL by late night Thurs/early morning Friday.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
GFS and Euro have questionable moisture return in their 12Z runs, but otherwise seem to have a favorable look (coming from an amateur). Euro has a slower pace and brings the system into the area during the afternoon and evening of Thursday the 12th whereas the GFS would have it raking over AL by late night Thurs/early morning Friday.
I actually don't think moisture will be too much of a issue, more so timing. Time and time again models have shown there bias to under forecasting cape. 12z euro even shows a large swath of Alabama covered in about 1000j of instability on it's forecast. You'll probably reach around 1500j or so maybe touch 2000j in south Alabama if I had to guess. It's bound to change some but the signal is clear. This threat should be monitored.

Clancy

Reaction score
I actually don't think moisture will be too much of a issue, more so timing. Time and time again models have shown there bias to under forecasting cape. 12z euro even shows a large swath of Alabama covered in about 1000j of instability on it's forecast. You'll probably reach around 1500j or so maybe touch 2000j in south Alabama if I had to guess. It's bound to change some but the signal is clear. This threat should be monitored.
Definitely never wise to sleep on a cold season Dixie event with instability.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
18z GFS is just as remarkable as 12z euro. 8 degree lapse rates in a small portion of west Alabama kinda curious to how much of this is modeling just bull'ing around because that's incredible for January in Alabama we rarely see that in spring and summer.

Sounding from Alabama Mississippi state line. 2023010718_GFS_123_33.09,-88.24_severe_ml.png

Clancy

Reaction score
18z GFS is just as remarkable as 12z euro. 8 degree lapse rates in a small portion of west Alabama kinda curious to how much of this is modeling just bull'ing around because that's incredible for January in Alabama we rarely see that in spring and summer.

Sounding from Alabama Mississippi state line.
And so the trend-watching begins...

Logo 468x120
Back