• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat - February 15-16, 2023

KevinH

Reaction score

This isn't the exact verification criteria (it's not like the forecasters sit there counting how many tornadoes they expect), but is a rough guide of verification for a mathematical standpoint. I think the practically perfect verification system uses something similar.

Thank you. Why did twitter mark this as “sensitive content” ROFL!!!
1676557322118.png

KevinH

Reaction score
Early clearing already. Stout EML is a huge red flag in dixie. STP has downtrended on recent runs, due to less deep moisture (owing to slight mixing) and the LLJ being slightly weaker by 5-10 knots, which led to a slightly smaller warm sector. This goes in direct contrast to obs forecasting, however, which would point towards a larger than forecast warm sector. Still a considerable amount of uncertainty regarding exactly the caliber of event we're talking about.
Dixie Alley playing with us…. SMH

Thank you for posting this

KevinH

Reaction score
I’m unaware of a standard “official” definition for the words tornado outbreak. The 6-10 or more tornadoes has been a general framework for most. There have been papers written examining potential criteria, and some are easily searchable on Google. Some outside of the NWS have made up definitions as well. However, nothing standard or objectively agreed upon. But then again, I may have missed the memo.
Thank you.

F

Former Member 1430

You can literally see the hook echos on some of the cells. High ceiling day. Hope it busts.

Not a official weather model though it's his in house.model I think
Yep if that verifies we are talking multiple long track tornadoes possible. I hope this busts too because a very destructive day is on the table

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Catching up... But if a tornado hits your house or city, that will be your outbreak. Anywho, busy day ahead. Hope everyone stays safe.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
The typical I-20 in Meridian shifting over time up to I-65 to Huntsville looks to be the chase corridor today. Kind of amazing how much of a tornado alley that area is - seems like a lot of systems run right through there.

Here's hoping it fizzles entirely, even if it means a lot of teeth gnashing here on TW.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
trend-hrrr-2023021614-f007.srh01.us_se.gif
Low level shear really trended down. This is good news - if this actually verifies and shear isn't higher than depcited here. We will probably still get tornadoes with any discrete supercell, but hopefully weak ones (obviously none are preferred) N AL, MS and S TN still could be in for a shot of an EF2+ tornado though potentially.
NAM still going for widely much stronger shear. Hopefully all will be revealed when we get a few sounding launches

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
The typical I-20 in Meridian shifting over time up to I-65 to Huntsville looks to be the chase corridor today. Kind of amazing how much of a tornado alley that area is - seems like a lot of systems run right through there.

Here's hoping it fizzles entirely, even if it means a lot of teeth gnashing here on TW.
I hope it fizzles too

Mundiejc

Reaction score
Latest hrrr looks like central alabama mixing out and temps rocketing towards 80 degrees. If I remember correctly, that saved a large area March 2012 when I was living in Nashville. Huge supe went right over downtown but was a hailer as the storm wasn’t fully rooted when dp crashed below 60 degrees

Back