• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather Threat - December 12-14, 2022

UK_EF4

Reaction score
image-4.png

Here's the image I took and what I saw. Very low values could've made downdraft production very weak. I mentioned before that we had something similar on a supercell in C OK on 5/2.

That being said this may not be the solution either. I'm really interested in what Fred has to say about this, because I think the other point about veering SFC winds has a lot of merit if it can be proven. Negative SRH right at the surface would still allow the low-level environment to be very favorable for long-track mesocyclones but shunt tornadogenesis.
I'm not totally sold on the first point regarding negative SRH right at surface, all VWPs and soundings looked favourable, even if you factor in a veered wind.

I was reading Sam Brandt's twitter and one of his theories was unfavourable trajectories of vertical vorticity (less time for stretching which leads to tornadogenesis) under the low level meso, which would definitely explain how we had multiple strong mesocyclones but a smaller than usual percentage of those that went on to produce tornadoes. Then again I could see how less near surface SRH could definitely contribute to that issue Sam was talking about, though the link between the two I don't know enough to really say :)

Logo 468x120
Back