• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/25-5/26, 2024

Reaction score
12Z GFS has continued the trend back to a little more potent look for Sunday, but it's a little too progressive for a significant threat in Illinois or even western Indiana. More central Indiana and points east, and south into KY/northwest-northern middle TN. NAM is slower, even a little more potent with the sfc/500mb look (more along the lines of yesterday's 12Z GFS) and as usual toward the end of its range went a little crazy with the northward advance of the warm sector, with 3KM EHIs >4 extending into southern WI.

Reaction score
5/24 isn't in the title, but SPC snuck in a 5% tor contour for the upper Midwest including southern WI for Day 2 (tomorrow). Meanwhile the 18Z 3K NAM goes insane, wanting a Tuesday redux for us. HRRR is tamer with us mainly getting a midmorning MCS with moderate UH tracks at most (the NWS forecast actually calls for sunny in the morning followed by storms after 5 PM, which goes directly against multiple HRRR runs).

Screenshot 2024-05-23 181223.png

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
5/24 isn't in the title, but SPC snuck in a 5% tor contour for the upper Midwest including southern WI for Day 2 (tomorrow). Meanwhile the 18Z 3K NAM goes insane, wanting a Tuesday redux for us. HRRR is tamer with us mainly getting a midmorning MCS with moderate UH tracks at most (the NWS forecast actually calls for sunny in the morning followed by storms after 5 PM, which goes directly against multiple HRRR runs).

View attachment 27596
None of this looks good at all, but this looks bad for the upper Plains

Reaction score
5/24 isn't in the title, but SPC snuck in a 5% tor contour for the upper Midwest including southern WI for Day 2 (tomorrow).

Yo, weather, there are people who still don't have power here. Could you not? (That'll do it, right?)

In seriousness, I hadn't realized this, and am intrigued by how things turn out for this weekend. As others have said, it being a holiday weekend makes me more nervous about things. General folks will be less attentive.

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I added 5/24 in the title to the other thread to keep it separate from this one.

Wind Driven Coconut

Reaction score
Ok I’ll bite. The initial Day 2 seemed a bit more reserved than I expected based on some other posts I was seeing. Thoughts on tomorrow? Another high ceiling, low floor scenario for Oklahoma?

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Ok I’ll bite. The initial Day 2 seemed a bit more reserved than I expected based on some other posts I was seeing. Thoughts on tomorrow? Another high ceiling, low floor scenario for Oklahoma?
More like high ceiling, to nothing.

There’s no failure mode for tomorrow except a cap, lack of forcing and in turn weak to no convection.

Other than that, the kinematics are the most volatile I’ve seen this year with some soundings containing SRH values in the 400-900 range and cape as high as 6000.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
More like high ceiling, to nothing.

There’s no failure mode for tomorrow except a cap, lack of forcing and in turn weak to no convection.

Other than that, the kinematics are the most volatile I’ve seen this year with some soundings containing SRH values in the 400-900 range and cape as high as 6000.
It's May 6 all over again, except the fail mode is the opposite problem.

Back