• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/25-5/26, 2024

Tanner

Reaction score
That didn't happen...the 26th was enhanced on both Day 2 outlooks, and all the way up until the 20Z Day 1 upgrade to moderate.

The 25th was one of the toughest and most bizarre forecasts I've ever seen. In one outlook cycle, the big uncertainty precluding a high risk went from a cap bust/lack of storm coverage; to excessive storm interactions/outflow. Then when it became apparent the moisture was outperforming the models, it looked like it might go huge (in daylight) after all, only for that left split to come flying through and take out not one, but TWO supercells (the one near Mutual, OK, and the one in south-central Kansas) just as they were on the cusp of producing what would otherwise have almost certainly been long-lived, intense tornadoes.
As bad as it has been, it could have been so much worse at the same time. May 25th very well could have been even more violent.

MoonBaby

Knew It Would Happen
Reaction score
I woke up every hour last night until the storms passed through because 2024 weather hasn’t been behaving very well - especially at night. Thankful all we had was a severe thunderstorm warning.
Same. I just woke up. It’s noon here.
But thanks to the chaos that’s been happening I didn’t trust it so I stayed up. I’m exhausted today with you bestie

Kds86z

Reaction score
I won’t soon forget this weekend. First time a large pds warning was issued for a family members town, in fact over the town. Haven’t heard from the brother since sat night but sure it’s a mess there and he’s helping others out etc,

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpeg
    IMG_0335.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 0

Cood101

Reaction score
I'm aware everything from the past few days is still being surveyed or finalized, but I'm curious to know if QRT has been called in for anything since Greenfield a week ago. It's been tough to keep track of what is what given how active things have been.

Reaction score
I'm aware everything from the past few days is still being surveyed or finalized, but I'm curious to know if QRT has been called in for anything since Greenfield a week ago. It's been tough to keep track of what is what given how active things have been.
The track is often being updated on the d.a.t but no new official information has been released in awhile

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Damage coming out of Dawson Springs and Barnsley looks slam-dunk EF3 so far. Seen at least one brick home with only interior walls left and other (poorly constructed) homes swept away. Honestly worried about the earlier section of the path east of Crider. That's where I suspect the tornado peaked in intensity as it's where (IMO) the couplet and CC drop looked the nastiest, and where debris was reportedly lofted over 30,000 feet.

Back