• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat 5/19-5/22/2024

buckeye05

Reaction score
So what we're looking at here isn't a house. This was the old Greenfield Honda dealership. It was housed in a metal garage type building that appeared to lack interior walls. I don't think this is an EF5 candidate, but I do think it could potentially be rated EF4. Construction wise, it looks not too far off from the bait and tackle shop that was slabbed at Reelfoot Lake, TN by the 12/10/2021 Tri-State EF4. Damage there was rated 170 MPH EF4.
Screenshot 2024-05-23 093439.png

Maxis_s

Reaction score
So what we're looking at here isn't a house. This was the old Greenfield Honda dealership. It was housed in a metal garage type building that appeared to lack interior walls. I don't think this is an EF5 candidate, but I do think it could potentially be rated EF4. Construction wise, it looks not too far off from the bait and tackle shop that was slabbed at Reelfoot Lake, TN by the 12/10/2021 Tri-State EF4. Damage there was rated 170 MPH EF4.
View attachment 27544
I don't think it mattered too much if it was a house or not. Anchor bolts being bent 90 degrees is ridiculous.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I don't think it mattered too much if it was a house or not. Anchor bolts being bent 90 degrees is ridiculous
You’re getting a bit weather Twitter-y. It does matter that it isn’t a house due to the construction material and lack of interior rooms. This is a lighter weight garage type building. I’ve seen barns, garages, and sheds with anchor bolts bent flat by EF2s. You’re getting excited over bolts without any real understanding of the type of structure, nor the mechanism that causes the bolts to bend. It’s not a phenomenon limited to high-end EF4s and EF5s, by any stretch of the imagination.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
You’re getting a bit weather Twitter-y. It does matter that it isn’t a house due to the construction material and lack of interior rooms. This is a lighter weight garage type building. I’ve seen barns, garages, and sheds with anchor bolts bent flat by EF2s. You’re getting excited over bolts without any real understanding of the type of structure, nor the mechanism that causes the bolts to bend. It’s not a phenomenon limited to high-end EF4s and EF5s, by any stretch of the imagination.
Ah, wasn't aware of that. My bad.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Okay...are there any other slabbed homes that where anchor bolted and had violent contextual damage around them?
1716479704627.png1716479727572.png
These pictures were posted here before but I'm reposting them. Contextual damage is basically non-existent but we haven't gotten a closer look at other homes afaik.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Another very thoroughly obliterated structure in Greenfield building was the Adair County Ambulance Service building. It was a one story building on a slab with a walk-out basement, and there's pretty much nothing left of it. But again, looks like it was built with rather light buidling materials and has some large garage doors that are an obvious weak point in the structure. Still potentially a candidate for a violent rating, but not necessarily.
AdairCountyAmbulanceBefore.png

After (slab in the center of the photo):
AdairCountyAmbulanceAfter.png

Maxis_s

Reaction score
1716480085187.png
Anyways, does someone have an explanation for this tree? It looks completely debarked, but a lot of limbs are still there and seem to still have a bit of bark left, which does indicate to me that this is in fact a debarked tree, and not just a weird looking tree.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Also regarding anchor bolts, the vast majority of the time in actual well built structures, anchor bolts are still standing but with the structure itself obliterated.

That tells me the anchor bolts are solid and not old or rusted in a aged foundation.

What I’m really interested in is the house in these photos, some portions of the basement wall was completely sheared off. A good chunk of these walls seem to have been poured brick and concrete.

The shrubs, particularly the one of the left hand side on the second photo, seems to have been partially debarked, something that was lacking in Greenfield.

This looks like the first legitimate case of high end ef4 tornado damage I’ve seen so far. Obviously though that’s up for the NWS surveys to decide in the end.

Attachments

• 1716479984432.png
    1716479984432.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1716480034590.png
    1716480034590.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Also regarding anchor bolts, the vast majority of the time in actual well built structures, anchor bolts are still standing but with the structure itself obliterated.

That tells me the anchor bolts are solid and not old or rusted in a aged foundation.

What I’m really interested in is the house in these photos, some portions of the basement wall was completely sheared off. A good chunk of these walls seem to have been poured brick and concrete.

The shrubs, particularly the one of the left hand side on the second photo, seems to have been partially debarked, something that was lacking in Greenfield.

This looks like the first legitimate case of high end ef4 tornado damage I’ve seen so far. Obviously though that’s up for the NWS surveys to decide in the end.
I mean, taking everything as an aggregate, a large section of the path further from Corning looks high end EF4.

buckeye05

Reaction score

This is not high-end EF4 damage. It's a brick/masonry basement foundation with some white paint or plaster over it that makes it look solid, but it isn't poured concrete. Old masonry foundations like this lack the continuous load that engineers look for in a sturdy foundation. The mortar between the bricks or blocks is a weak point, especially in older farm homes like this where degradation of the mortar has likely occurred over the decades, so any shifting of the house on the foundation can cause the basement stemwalls to crumble and shear off like you see above. I also see a total lack of anchoring mechanisms here, not even nails, so this is probably a slider that may be rated as low as EF3, despite the impressive look at first glance.

Back