Severe Weather Threat 4/27-4/28, 2024 - (Saturday, Sunday)

Evan

Reaction score
Yeah I can already smell that something is very wrong with the atmosphere
Mmm. It's very early. I expect things to look different over the next hour or two. But, there's certainly a bit lower confidence in regards to storm mode and the overall timing of ingredients lining up perfectly. Hence why we saw a moderate risk today.

Reaction score
I think that today has higher potential for a bust than yesterday, but perhaps in the opposite direction, i.e., a lower-end outcome. Maybe TOR probabilities will end up closer to ENH than MDT, but overall MDT clearly seems the best call. I don’t even think that a localised HIGH TOR-wise will verify, given wind-based profiles, timing, and mergers. (Fortunately, the mere fact that suburban OKC is targeted does not automatically mean that another Moore ’13-type event is looming...)

Evan

Reaction score
I think the complex northwest of Stillwater has a decent chance of going gaga here in the next hour or two. Storm mode is cooperating enough for now.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It will probably be pretty tricky to get the forcing just right as the dynamics head in, threading the gap between better dynamics to get supercells dropping tornadoes and triggering massive upscale growth with the increased forcing leaves a rather narrow window for really long track truly isolated supercell tornadoes

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Meanwhile northern OK near the KS border looks good to go for some messy mode brief tornadoes in the short term, better helicity and bulk shear and all you need is some constructive mergers with the clustery cells to start tornado warning whack a mole

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
Interestingly, what was an initially an evolving messy/linear storm mode over the past 60-90 minutes in northwest Texas has evolved back into supercells, and one of them has now gone tornado warned. We need to be careful today. Just because something looks like it's going messy for a short period doesn't necessarily mean you won't see a dominant supercell or two evolve out of it.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah we saw an initially linear batch of storms break up into supercells that eventually dropped the Lincoln tornado and many more yesterday, convective evolution patterns will be a big thing to watch

Evan

Reaction score
It will probably be pretty tricky to get the forcing just right as the dynamics head in, threading the gap between better dynamics to get supercells dropping tornadoes and triggering massive upscale growth with the increased forcing leaves a rather narrow window for really long track truly isolated supercell tornadoes

Timing an hour or two in either direction is going to be huge in this regard. As both you and Fred have mentioned...do we get enough overlap between increased shear and cooperative storm mode? So far it's looking like a great call by the SPC not to make the upgrade.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Interestingly, what was an initially an evolving messy/linear storm mode over the past 60-90 minutes in northwest Texas has evolved back into supercells, and one of them has now gone tornado warned. We need to be careful today. Just because something looks like it's going messy for a short period doesn't necessarily mean you won't see a dominant supercell or two evolve out of it.
Fred, I’m actually becoming increasingly considered about today regarding storm mode.

The EML has been substantially stronger than forecasted by models, I’m really starting to wonder how late will these storms become linear, because the longer it takes the worse it is for OK.

Clancy

Reaction score
I think there may be some early “football” spiking here with the talk of “atmosphere struggling”. Within an hour yesterday things went from 0-100 and stayed that way for quite some time.
If I recall there was also a weakening of the LLJ around this time, before re-strengthening later that was forecasted, as mentioned by Trey in his forecast video, among others.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The parameters look extreme if you're just going numerically so it's not a big shock to see those values going pretty wild, but the subtleties of the forecast in the realms of forcing, convective evolution, and 850/500 crossover & storm mode definitely make picking out the likelihood of a day actually going that extreme much more nuanced lol

Probably by 3:30 we'll have a good handle on where things are headed, still definitely a good bit of parameter space to sneak some big tornadoes in

atrainguy

Reaction score
I think there may be some early “football” spiking here with the talk of “atmosphere struggling”. Within an hour yesterday things went from 0-100 and stayed that way for quite some time.
I recall some discussion about why the storms were struggling so much at first in Nebraska, then the one cell hit Lincoln and it all went nuts after that. Personally dunno enough about the environment and atmosphere if conditions are similar to that moment yesterday though.

Back