• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 4/25-4/26, 2024 - (Thursday, Friday)

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Violent looking debris pattern from a destroyed home. Some wind-rowing was evident in this area.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 075806.png
1714322731914.png
Apparently this is what the house used to be. Good god, this might be an EF-5...

buckeye05

Reaction score
View attachment 26041
Apparently this is what the house used to be. Good god, this might be an EF-5...
Where did you find this?? I've been trying to find the location of the damage shown in the drone video but with no luck.

Also calm down, we need extreme contextual damage for EF5, which I haven't seen yet, and we have no construction information, so please pump the brakes on the EF5 talk. Yeah a big house got swept away, but it takes so much more than that.

Edit: Andy said it first but my point still stands. This isn't a strong EF5 candidate.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Where did you find this?? I've been trying to find the location of the damage shown in the drone video but with no luck.

Also calm down, we need extreme contextual damage for EF5, which I haven't seen yet, and we have no construction information, so please pump the brakes on the EF5 talk. Yeah a big house got swept away, but it takes so much more than that.

Edit: Andy said it first but my point still stands. This isn't a strong EF5 candidate.

This damage appears to be in the Blair/Bennington area of Washington Co.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
At this point I'm convinced that the old scale had the more accurate wind speed estimates. The discrepancy between the estimates given in damage surveys and actual readings is just worlds apart. This was an EF5 by the definition of the current scale in terms of wind speeds, but I doubt there was any damage that actually meets that criteria.
I agree with you entirely, these are my own thoughts about the current ef scale.
1714323162202.png
I legitimately think one of the biggest issues with the ef scale is that it completely low balls a tornadoes actually wind speeds. It will never make sense to me that a high end cat5 is apparently equivalent to an an ef4 tornado.

Tanner

Reaction score

Yeah, context is the main factor per usual (when it’s acutally taken into account). I’m with you, solid EF4.

I will say, I was surprised the damage wasn’t worse based off the radar signature in such close proximity to said radar.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Yeah, context is the main factor per usual (when it’s acutally taken into account). I’m with you, solid EF4.

I will say, I was surprised the damage wasn’t worse based off the radar signature in such close proximity to said radar.
I actually think proximity to radar is what made people think it was gonna be more violent damage. Which again just goes back to the point of tornadoes having far higher wind speeds in reality than what they’re rated.

Maxis_s

Reaction score

A friend sent it, I'll try and confirm where it is along the path.

Tanner

Reaction score
I actually think proximity to radar is what made people think it was gonna be more violent damage. Which again just goes back to the point of tornadoes having far higher wind speeds in reality than what they’re rated.
I honestly think that debris height is a much more accurate measurement of a tornadoes strength than the wind speed velocities.

Also, with a wedge, multiple vortex tornado like we were seeing on friday, you have to wonder if the wind speeds are increasingly higher as you go up and only small vortices created pockets of extreme damage like we saw in Elkhorn. Some multiple vortex tornadoes are still more compact than others.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Ok found it. The first video of the EF4ish looking damage is in the Lariat Lane area. Also my suspicions are confirmed. That third completely obliterated structure I posted a screen cap of was not a house, but a large garage or workshop.
BenningtonBarn.png

Back