• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 4/25-4/26, 2024 - (Thursday, Friday)

Evan

Reaction score
Brett Adair deserves to be the storm chaser masterclass of all time after this.

IMO, he was and has been. Great guy and just has a nose for getting on a storm. I honestly think we caught a tornado 75% of the time back when I chased with him years ago. Will never forget some of those early chases. To see what Brett has built and accomplished over the last 15 years is absolutely amazing. He had the passion and desire and he took that and built something that very very few people are capable of.

KCweatherboy

Reaction score
I don't know much about ingredients and parameters but it makes me wonder what is making up for the modest temperatures and dewpoints. It makes me me think of the Tri-State 1925 tornado but that occurred in mid March. We are in late April.
There is plenty of dewpoints for this event! Low to mid 60s dewpoints all the way into Iowa

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
I don't know much about ingredients and parameters but it makes me wonder what is making up for the modest temperatures and dewpoints. It makes me me think of the Tri-State 1925 tornado but that occurred in mid March. We are in late April.
Instability is not just about what is at the surface. It's 100% about the vertical distribution of those factors with height through the column of the troposphere. 500mb temperatures are -15C and colder in the supercell outbreak area up there. There have been instances in Iowa specifically with F3-F4 long-track tornadoes with surface temperatures in the upper 50s. Despite the surface observations as they are, mesoanalysis still shows 1500-2500 j/kg of SBCAPE nosing up into a good bit of southwestern Iowa and southeastern Nebraska.

Logo 468x120
Back