• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather 2024

Gail

Reaction score
I'm actually quite glad we had a quieter tornado season across the Deep South and that might have been a blessing in disguise because we're not escaping the hurricanes this year.
I knew it was going to happen when we got our shelter. I’m not complaining one bit though! I’m hoping we never have to use it for more than the mini playhouse my daughter has turned it into.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's very hard to watch Reed. I understand chasing is stressful and adrenaline is high, but it feels like his crew takes it to the next level.

That being said, he knows his stuff. He has to obviously to be able to be constantly on the storms he is on.
Just finding this. Reed almost always hits the bullseye, and as far as tornadoes in general none are more in touch. But thank God for volume controls and mute buttons, because I can't handle his uncontrolled mouth when he's on one. There's some other chasers who also make me nauseous persistently and repetitively calling every tornado dangerous, violent, huge, and so on. There are NO tornadoes which aren't dangerous and I've never heard of a peaceful one- have you? I don't expect everyone to be as chill as Hank Schyma but tornadoes are dramatic enough on their own and they don't need anyone's help by commenting on the obvious.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Me thinks May 30th through June 2nd has yet another chance of a severe weather outbreak.

-PNA along with a still potent enough subtropical jet will create height falls inducing rounds of short waves.

Moisture rich air coupled with high cape values will be in place and therefore a large open warm sector that leaves a lot of room for storms to play around in.

The LLJ modeled on Thursday/Friday looks moderately strong in the 30-45knot range, which will be favorable for potential tornadic supercells.

Conditions beyond June 2nd are too far away in time for any certainty. Unfortunately it looks like we have to wait just a bit longer for this stretch of severe weather to conclude.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Me thinks May 30th through June 2nd has yet another chance of a severe weather outbreak.

-PNA along with a still potent enough subtropical jet will create height falls inducing rounds of short waves.

Moisture rich air coupled with high cape values will be in place and therefore a large open warm sector that leaves a lot of room for storms to play around in.

The LLJ modeled on Thursday/Friday looks moderately strong in the 30-45knot range, which will be favorable for potential tornadic supercells.

Conditions beyond June 2nd are too far away in time for any certainty. Unfortunately it looks like we have to wait just a bit longer for this stretch of severe weather to conclude.
Here we go again …..

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yep. Dixie’s second 2024 season in November with a moderate to strong La Niña could be very busy.
Yes. Enjoy it. Because also the pdo looks to go extreme negative also fall to winter …. Look for a winter like 98 99 as my analog : we had a massive tornado outbreak January 99 that winter. It was violent too

JPWX

Reaction score
Yeah come to think of it, with the exception of the December 10th, 2021 outbreak and the Holly Springs tornado and flash flood event on Christmas Eve going into Christmas Day of 2015, we honestly haven't had a notable (meaning one that stands out) active Fall tornado season. Not to say the other Fall events over past 7 years haven't been eventful. They've just been few and far between.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
@JPWX When was the last time every single day in any given month had a SLGT risk or higher? If that's never happened, what is the longest stretch of days with a SLGT risk or higher?

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Give me a few minutes
Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

JPWX

Reaction score
@JPWX When was the last time every single day in any given month had a SLGT risk or higher? If that's never happened, what is the longest stretch of days with a SLGT risk or higher?
May 2022 and July 2023

June 2011 and July 2011

May 2012 and July 2012

June 2010

June 2008, July 2008, and August 2008

June 2005

June 2004 and August 2004

August 2003

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Looks like a storm that's starting to form a bit of rotation is about to hit my town in about 30 or so minutes. Hopefully that doesn't intensify further because the mesoanalysis hodographs in my area are pretty sufficient.
1716840369936.png
I don't feel like seeing my first tornado today, considering what's happened the past month. :(

Reaction score
Looks like a storm that's starting to form a bit of rotation is about to hit my town in about 30 or so minutes. Hopefully that doesn't intensify further because the mesoanalysis hodographs in my area are pretty sufficient.
View attachment 28267
I don't feel like seeing my first tornado today, considering what's happened the past month. :(
Stay safe out there

Back