• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather 2024

Gail

Reaction score
Movie Title: Total Solar Tornado Eclipse Earthquake

Synopsis: a scientist uncovers historical artifacts that point to a rare Tornado Solar Eclipse occurring during a massive earthquake. They find that chemtrails work to weaken the Solar Tornado and stabilize the earthquake
We can’t forget the nova explosion added in too - maybe not that day but I’m sure all this somehow triggers it in movie world!

Clancy

Reaction score
SPC watching the end of medium range very closely.
.DISCUSSION...
The potential for severe thunderstorms across the CONUS appears low
from Day 4/Friday into at least Day 5/Saturday. An upper trough/low
should dig southward along/near the West Coast in this time frame.
Low-level moisture is forecast to gradually return northward across
the southern/central Plains, lower/mid MS Valley, and OH Valley
through the upcoming weekend. Medium-range guidance is starting to
come into better agreement regarding the evolution and eventual
ejection of this upper trough/low across the western and central
states, with a more positively tilted solution somewhat more
probable based on latest ensemble guidance. Regardless, it seems
likely that a substantial warm sector will be in place across much
of the southern Plains into the lower/mid MS Valley, and perhaps
even the OH Valley by Day 6/Sunday and Day 7/Monday.

If a northern-stream upper trough over central Canada can phase with
the ejecting lower-latitude trough over the western CONUS, as some
guidance suggests, then a more organized severe threat may exist,
focused on Day 7/Monday and Day 8/Tuesday. At this point, the
regions of interest include locations along/east of a surface
dryline over the southern/central Plains, and along/south of a warm
front draped across the OH Valley. Both instability and deep-layer
shear appear strong enough for severe convection. But, there are
still some substantial differences in the location of greatest
severe risk next Monday and Tuesday. Trends in guidance will be
closely monitored. If deterministic and ensemble guidance can come
into better agreement regarding the evolution of the upper trough,
along with related surface features, then a broad 15% severe area
may be needed for next Monday and/or Tuesday in later outlooks.

..Gleason.. 03/26/2024

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I know this will not be a popular post, but as a storm chaser and the love for severe weather I have , I am tired of these Mickey Mouse systems … hoping for a nice active April . First week of April already looking interesting .

Last edited:

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I know this will not be a popular post, but as a storm chaser and the love for severe weather I have , I am tired of these Mickey Mouse systems … hoping for a nice active April . First week of April already looking interesting .
It's definitely a paradox. Aside from it not being full time jobs for most of us, it's not too different from doctors, police, insurance adjusters, etc. No one in those jobs want bad things to happen, but they all need a certain excitement about doing their jobs otherwise they won't do them well, and most of the roles in those jobs involve responding when bad things happen to people.

Tennie

Reaction score
It's definitely a paradox. Aside from it not being full time jobs for most of us, it's not too different from doctors, police, insurance adjusters, etc. No one in those jobs want bad things to happen, but they all need a certain excitement about doing their jobs otherwise they won't do them well, and most of the roles in those jobs involve responding when bad things happen to people.

Pioneering severe weather forecaster Robert C. Miller wrote about that in his unpublished memoir The Unfriendly Sky:

The close knit world of the tornado and severe thunderstorm forecaster often seems somewhat demented to those not knowledgeable in this discipline. This apparent derangement is based on our seemingly ghoulish expressions of joy and satisfaction displayed whenever we verify a tornado forecast. This aberration is not vicious; tornadoes in open fields make us happier than damaging storms and count just as much for or against us. We beg your indulgence, but point out the sad truism that we rise and fall by the blessed verification numbers. There is a fantastic feeling of accomplishment when a tornado forecast is successful. We are really nice people but odd.

TornadoFan17

Reaction score
There is always the debate over whether or not its okay to root for severe weather, and I'm on the side of it being okay to root for severe weather. I obviously don't root for the potential harm to human life it brings, but severe weather fuels my passion for meteorology.

Reaction score
There is always the debate over whether or not its okay to root for severe weather, and I'm on the side of it being okay to root for severe weather. I obviously don't root for the potential harm to human life it brings, but severe weather fuels my passion for meteorology.
let's not lie, we all wish for wedges that hit nothing but trees but with a good view lol

JPWX

Reaction score
Today's model runs have decent widespread dewpoints early next week.

Regardless of what the next runs have, we're gonna have some type of threat next week and probably beyond that.

I've already given my County Emergency manager a heads up

Attachments

• sfctd-imp.us_sc.png 18z GFS.png
    sfctd-imp.us_sc.png 18z GFS.png
    355.4 KB · Views: 0
  • sfctd-imp.us_sc (2).png
    sfctd-imp.us_sc (2).png
    378.2 KB · Views: 0
  • sfctd-imp.us_sc (1).png
    sfctd-imp.us_sc (1).png
    357.1 KB · Views: 0
  • sfctd-imp.us_sc.png
    sfctd-imp.us_sc.png
    402.9 KB · Views: 0

Clancy

Reaction score
Today's model runs have decent widespread dewpoints early next week.

Regardless of what the next runs have, we're gonna have some type of threat next week and probably beyond that.

I've already given my County Emergency manager a heads up
Yeah, the dews are very impressive, and would likely give ample moisture for a multi-day threat, not to mention flooding issues.

KevinH

Reaction score
Oops… did I just start a new thread out loud? :)

Not saying the potential event next week is going to produce, but I think it could/(should?) be an interesting discussion…

TileDude

Reaction score
If my math is correct, today is the 30th anniversary of the Palm Sunday tornado outbreak in 1994. This event is what ultimately shaped my interest in weather as a kid, and I'm sure others on this board as well.
Correct today is the anniversary. James Spann had a complete story on his FB page this morning recapping the event.

Back