• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather 2024

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Somebody is going to absolutely get flooded next week and my best bet is a long the Mississippi river. There maybe enough shear and instability for a severe/tornado event. But it's not going to be the best setup ever lol

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
A GFS forecast sounding for NOLA for Wednesday. Temperatures of almost 80 degrees, surface CAPE of nearly 3000, strong Theta-E change with height, lapse rates of almost 7...seems ripe for some severe weather in the Louisiana/Missisippi Gulf Coast region. Not the best hodographs, but there is pretty good curvature in the 0-3 km (red) range.

1705757663882.png

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
A GFS forecast sounding for NOLA for Wednesday. Temperatures of almost 80 degrees, surface CAPE of nearly 3000, strong Theta-E change with height, lapse rates of almost 7...seems ripe for some severe weather in the Louisiana/Missisippi Gulf Coast region. Not the best hodographs, but there is pretty good curvature in the 0-3 km (red) range.

View attachment 23579
Seems like surface based convection is limited to the coastal region like the sounding you showed, probably will change as we get closer. But I was checking soundings and as soon as you get into southern Mississippi past Louisiana; convection goes elevated in a hurry. Would further limit tornado potential to just coastal areas I'm not sure why exactly it's doing that I don't understand a whole lot when it comes to why some environments are more elevated than surface based even with adequate moisture. Maybe some more knowledge guys can explain

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Seems like surface based convection is limited to the coastal region like the sounding you showed, probably will change as we get closer. But I was checking soundings and as soon as you get into southern Mississippi past Louisiana; convection goes elevated in a hurry. Would further limit tornado potential to just coastal areas I'm not sure why exactly it's doing that I don't understand a whole lot when it comes to why some environments are more elevated than surface based even with adequate moisture. Maybe some more knowledge guys can explain
Yeah, even with that sounding, I'm not convinced that either setup (Wednesday or Saturday) this coming week presents itself as any sort of outbreak. At the moment, it feels more likely to be flooding threats in isolated areas all week long than explosive severe weather. But I guess we'll see.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
The SPC in their Day 4-8 outlook today also paints the severe weather this next week in a very iffy light:

...DISCUSSION...
...Tuesday/Day 4 to Thursday/Day 6...
Southwest flow at mid-levels is forecast to shift from the Great
Plains and Mississippi Valley on Tuesday to the Ohio and Tennessee
Valleys by Thursday, as an upper-level trough remains in the
vicinity of the Four Corners and southern Rockies. Ahead of the
trough on Tuesday, a moist airmass is expected to be in place over
the Texas Coastal Plain and lower Mississippi Valley. The moist
airmass is forecast to move eastward across the Gulf Coast states on
Wednesday and Thursday. Scattered thunderstorms will likely develop
over parts of the moist sector each day. However, instability is
forecast to be weak, suggesting that any severe threat will be
isolated and marginal.

...Friday/Day 7 and Saturday/Day 8...
On Friday, the moist airmass is forecast to shift eastward to the
southern Atlantic Seaboard, where isolated to scattered
thunderstorms will be possible on Friday and Saturday. Instability
is expected to be very weak suggesting convection will remain
unorganized Friday into Saturday.

JPWX

Reaction score
To be honest, next week's pattern and heavy rain event reminds me of what we dealt with in January and February 2020.

Ended January 2020 with 10.25 inches
Ended February 2020 with 15.10 inches

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Yeah, here's the NWS National Blend of Models forecast for the next 10 days rainfall. Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama look to be socked with lots of rain. A couple of the models (mainly the GFS) still wants to put severe weather in the extreme southerly Coastal regions of Louisiana/Mississippi Wednesday and over the Big Bend and Georgia next Saturday...but I agree with Clancy that lots of rain with occasional isolated embedded strong-to-severe thunderstorms and maybe a one-off tornado is the call. I suspect the SPC to have a lot of Marginal risk areas this week but not much else.

1705772181566.png

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Having enjoyed our free trial of Alaskan weather, we are now scheduled for a free trial of an Indian monsoon.

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
To be honest, next week's pattern and heavy rain event reminds me of what we dealt with in January and February 2020.

Ended January 2020 with 10.25 inches
Ended February 2020 with 15.10 inches
As long the road don't get wash out again like 2020, I be happy

Logo 468x120
Back