• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather 2023

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
In association with the storm system that has been dumping rain over much of the West Coast, an EF1 tornado was confirmed near Oroville, CA. It damaged homes, power poles and carports and became the second notable tornado to hit the area since 2011:
Tornado-Graphic.png

xJownage

Reaction score
Well guys, pardon my absence for the last few months. Real life has been getting in the way of my time to post on this forum. Sorry for disappearing on you all!

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I do want to share some of my experience this year chasing the plains. From May 13th to May 27th, I spent my time in Oklahoma - which of course turned into chasing Texas/New Mexico 7 times.

I chased this year with several close friends of mine, including Meteorologist Andy Hill, who was an absolute pleasure to spend time and chase with.

Our first chase was right off the plane! We quite literally got off the plane and immediately jumped in the car, drove 40 miles south, and parked ourselves in front of a beautiful supercell just southeast of OKC. Said chase included me ruining my brand new shoes with wet red clay, as instead of switching them when i moved them out of the way to get my tripods, I instead left them on like an idiot.

After a few dead days, it was nonstop chasing for us! Tons of lightning, beautiful, jaw dropping structure, and a couple tornadoes to boot despite the marginal conditions during my time in the plains. Even more, I learned that the plains were my happy place and I plan on moving there in the long term future. I met old friends, made new ones, met idols I never thought I'd meet, and most importantly, got to witness nature's greatest spectacle.

For some of my highlights, check out the images under the spoiler below. Warning, BIG. Another note; I did have to compress these to actually be able to upload them here, so...pardon the quality lol.
1703253694614.png
1703253737380.png
1703253756675.png

1703253827735.png
1703253856808.png
1703253879003.png
1703253898990.png
1703253919819.png
1703253965094.png
1703254092385.png

The artifacts on that last image make me want to cry...which inspired me to step my camera game up. Last year I went out with a pixel 7 pro; while I'm happy with the results, I want to take my photography skills to the next level. Next year I will be out with my already trusty A7RIII and I can't wait to get back out to the plains for many years to come.

If anybody would like me to tell some stories, or has any questions about my time chasing out there, feel free to shoot me a dm!

JPWX

Reaction score
Well guys, pardon my absence for the last few months. Real life has been getting in the way of my time to post on this forum. Sorry for disappearing on you all!

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I do want to share some of my experience this year chasing the plains. From May 13th to May 27th, I spent my time in Oklahoma - which of course turned into chasing Texas/New Mexico 7 times.

I chased this year with several close friends of mine, including Meteorologist Andy Hill, who was an absolute pleasure to spend time and chase with.

Our first chase was right off the plane! We quite literally got off the plane and immediately jumped in the car, drove 40 miles south, and parked ourselves in front of a beautiful supercell just southeast of OKC. Said chase included me ruining my brand new shoes with wet red clay, as instead of switching them when i moved them out of the way to get my tripods, I instead left them on like an idiot.

After a few dead days, it was nonstop chasing for us! Tons of lightning, beautiful, jaw dropping structure, and a couple tornadoes to boot despite the marginal conditions during my time in the plains. Even more, I learned that the plains were my happy place and I plan on moving there in the long term future. I met old friends, made new ones, met idols I never thought I'd meet, and most importantly, got to witness nature's greatest spectacle.

For some of my highlights, check out the images under the spoiler below. Warning, BIG. Another note; I did have to compress these to actually be able to upload them here, so...pardon the quality lol.

The artifacts on that last image make me want to cry...which inspired me to step my camera game up. Last year I went out with a pixel 7 pro; while I'm happy with the results, I want to take my photography skills to the next level. Next year I will be out with my already trusty A7RIII and I can't wait to get back out to the plains for many years to come.

If anybody would like me to tell some stories, or has any questions about my time chasing out there, feel free to shoot me a dm!
DUDE! Those pictures are fantastic! I myself want to get out there sometime with my dad to storm chase. More interested in structure/lightning than actually seeing a tornado. Already had too many of those

xJownage

Reaction score
DUDE! Those pictures are fantastic! I myself want to get out there sometime with my dad to storm chase. More interested in structure/lightning than actually seeing a tornado. Already had too many of those
It's crazy I got those with a pixel 7 Pro, but when blowing them up and/or editing them it becomes obvious they were taken on a phone and not with actual glass. I'm insanely excited to get back out there with actual glass this time and see how insane of pictures I can get. Hopefully I'm blessed with an even more active pattern than last time.

Actually, you'd love what happened on Wednesday the 17th. It was an elevated/marginal supercell day east of amarillo; we ended up sitting in literally one spot surrounded by storms for 3 hours. To our north was a supercell, southwest was another supercell throwing off anvil crawlers, east was a decaying supercell, and due west was a developing squall line. Sat in one spot, never got rained on, and photographed lightning for hours. It was amazing.

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
About that…. lol
Jackson still maintains a chance of strong/severe storms Sunday night IF enough instability/shear over the southern and southeastern portions of the is place. Still wait and see:
Saturday night through Thursday night...A strong short wave
will drive a cold front across the region Sunday night into
Christmas day. Moisture will increase out ahead of the boundary
Sunday afternoon, with increasing chances of showers and storms
through the afternoon into the evening hours. The front will move
into the western portions of the area late Sunday night and move
across the area Monday morning, before moving east of the area early
Monday afternoon. Expect mainly just the potential for heavy
rainfall across most of the area, but there could be enough
instability/shear over the southern and southeastern portions of the
area for strong to possible severe storms during the overnight
hours. Will have to continue to monitor this situation in future
forecasts.

Reaction score
Since Dec 2015 was my analog as of a few months ago, I'm now looking at January 2016 as my analog. El Nino January transitioning into a neutral late spring.

January 2016 only produced 2 days of severe weather. 1 on Jan 21st, down in South MS. 6 tornado reports that day with the most notable one rated as EF-2 in Sumrall, MS. The system also produced severe wind and hail reports in the Jackson metro.

This same system dropped about 2 inches of snow over most counties in North Mississippi and produced a historic blizzard across the East Coast.

The other was on January 16th in Tampa area. Sarasota got hit by an EF-2.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Since Dec 2015 was my analog as of a few months ago, I'm now looking at January 2016 as my analog. El Nino January transitioning into a neutral late spring.

January 2016 only produced 2 days of severe weather. 1 on Jan 21st, down in South MS. 6 tornado reports that day with the most notable one rated as EF-2 in Sumrall, MS. The system also produced severe wind and hail reports in the Jackson metro.

This same system dropped about 2 inches of snow over most counties in North Mississippi and produced a historic blizzard across the East Coast.

The other was on January 16th in Tampa area. Sarasota got hit by an EF-2.
Several long range models are indicating we are heading towards La Niña sometime during upcoming spring

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tornado in Los Arabos, Cuba earlier today. Prior to the 2019 EF4 in Havana, tornado footage from Cuba was practically impossible to come by, but thanks to the ever increasing availability of reliable internet access in Cuba, that seems to be changing. This recent tornado damaged at least eleven houses, but doesn't seem to have caused any fatalities or injuries thankfully. Looks like it probably produced EF1 to possibly low end EF2 damage.

1703828055890.jpeg
fuerte-tornado-golpea-los-arabos-en-matanzas-20231-scaled.jpg.webp

multiples-afectaciones-tornado-matanzas-758x426.jpg

Tanner

Reaction score
724 watches issued in 2023. Grand Total (2000-2023): 17,968.
2023 had the most watches issued since 2019 (708) and the highest number of watches issued since 2011 (900).
2023 total tornado count (per SPC) is 1,423. Highest total since 2019 (1,529) and since 2017 (1,418)
I’m not surprised at these numbers. Definitely felt like the busiest severe weather season since 2019. Of course 2022 wasn’t that far behind either.

Logo 468x120
Back