• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather 2022

The severe weather season for year 2022 will be?

• Above Average

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Average

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avon

Reaction score
If 3k nam verifys in amount of Instability present, could be talking a severe mcs/potential derecho well into the overnight, the hrrr is more subdued so we'll see.....

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I always hate hearing about these tragedies that could have been prevented by a little simple weather awareness.
Nearby Spartanburg County S.C. has one of the most well-done Emergency Management systems I've ever known, and Fire Departments there are going out not only to distribute smoke detectors, but also NOAA Weather radios: Spartanburg Co's safety blitz program All the local cellphone providers work with the NWS and do area-specific tornado warnings, and almost every WX app has a similar function. Knowing is the easy part; having a safe place might not be.

My current home will probably keep me alive in a mid-level EF-2 but I've spent much of my life where even a high-end EF-1 was more than I could protect myself against, and living in a heavily-forested part of the world, it's not uncommon for trees to drop in even regular thunderstorms injuring or killing someone. How many of us here have the ability to survive a quick-formning EF-5? Or EF-3- 4? Yet we're among the most weather-aware, so that's only a part of it and perhaps the most avoidable danger. Indeed sad to hear of folks coming to harm, but life is finite, and to quote Rupert Brooke "your worst friend and enemy is but death". Smart people do what they can within reason, but sometimes nothing within your means is going to save you. We just live with that fact and hope to see another sunrise intact and in good health. I wish that for all of us and I can do no more.

Phil

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Oh no! This is extremely dangerous. With something like this on radar there should be at least a moderate risk out for damaging winds.

Confirmed tornado on this tornado warning.

FA64F583-478F-4A8D-A41E-BCD2F9F6A660.png

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
In addition, model data and a lot of other things pointed towards a moderate severe weather threat.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Brandon Copic and Vince Waelti streaming live from LaCrosse- heavy rain is all so far.

ADDING_ Some gusting, doesn't look bad where they are but 80MPH was reported

Phil

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well-formed wall cloud north of Indianapolis.

Phil

ADDING: saw pic and vid of a very brief funnel or tornado near Zionsville IN, less than a minute duration. Looks to be calming down a bit up there now.

Last edited:

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
I'm glad we're seeing a lot more footage of tornadoes from across the world. The Chinese ones in particular have been nuts going through all these big cities.

akt1985

Reaction score
There was a significant flash flooding event last night in the mountains of eastern Kentucky. Eight people confirmed dead so far. That is on top of a daily record of all time nine inches of rain in St. Louis earlier this week. Although I'm glad the front will sink further south into the Tennessee Valley and give parts of the area some much needed rain, I hope we can avoid the flash flooding.

Death toll up to 16 now.

Last edited:

OHWX97

Reaction score
About a half an hour ago, a classic mesoscale accident occurred, causing a disorganized cluster of thunderstorms to produce a brief tornado over Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. Despite the surrounding environment being highly unfavorable for tornadic development, an interaction with a gust front was enough to allow this particular storm to spin up.
broken arrow.png

Last edited:

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
About a half an hour ago, a classic mesoscale accident occurred, causing a disorganized cluster of thunderstorms to produce a brief tornado over Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. Despite the surrounding environment being highly unfavorable for tornadic development, an interaction with a gust front was enough to allow this particular storm to spin up.

Did the NWS issue a tornado warning on this storm?

akt1985

Reaction score
Even a few days later, the flash flooding in eastern Kentucky is still a big deal. 28 people dead now. My guess is the flash flooding occurring in the middle of the night, the mountainous terrain and the high poverty rates in the Jackson, KY CWA contributed to the high death toll.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
And they've got more rain coming :( A lot of these folks are very poor and won't have flood insurance. Even those who do may find new building codes and zoning laws prevent them from rebuilding. There will be plenty who also lose their vehicles meaning they can't go elsewhere to live with friends or relatives until they get their lives back together, and their jobs may be gone too. Emergency assistance will be there but it runs out at some point.

There's been some comment here on Ryan Hall regarding his YouTube channel. He did a fundraiser livestream which netted $50K that is all going to relief efforts there, so like him or not he does do something good for our world :cool:

Phil

atrainguy

Reaction score
Got a very low tornado risk as part of a larger severe threat today. The comment to this post also shows a slight risk for "excessive rainfall" which could lead to flash flooding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back