• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe Weather 2021

andyhb

Reaction score
Don't think we're going to get sufficient moisture return for the Feb 3-6 system if that nor'easter around the turn of the month just sits there for days. Too much ridging downstream/to the north.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Last night's GFS is hinting at another system to start cranking around mid-February. This is looking a bit more low-amplitude with a more favorable downstream ridge positioning than what we had previously.

Obviously I'm not trying to highlight the individual system this far out, but the overall lower-amplitude pattern evolution being depicted is the next step towards a major event at some point during the spring this year.

1611759523154.png

andyhb

Reaction score
1611938046439.png

Strengthening of both the -PDO (cooling over the NE Pacific and warming west) and +TNI signatures (Nino 1.2 warming faster than Nino 4) over the past week via CDAS. We’re now comfortably in a “Modoki” La Niña configuration.

KevinH

Reaction score
View attachment 5801

Strengthening of both the -PDO (cooling over the NE Pacific and warming west) and +TNI signatures (Nino 1.2 warming faster than Nino 4) over the past week via CDAS. We’re now comfortably in a “Modoki” La Niña configuration.
Pardon my ignorance (I am new), but what does Modoki mean and what could that mean for Spring? I am guessing nothing good??

andyhb

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance (I am new), but what does Modoki mean and what could that mean for Spring? I am guessing nothing good??
Modoki means the cold sea surface temperature anomalies in the equatorial Pacific associated with La Nina are further west than usual in a typical La Nina. It sets up a configuration in the SSTA patterns that has been present for a number of active severe weather seasons in Dixie.

KevinH

Reaction score
Modoki means the cold sea surface temperature anomalies in the equatorial Pacific associated with La Nina are further west than usual in a typical La Nina. It sets up a configuration in the SSTA patterns that has been present for a number of active severe weather seasons in Dixie.
OK, so just more talk of what everyone has been saying lately: This year Dixie Alley MAY get its donkey whooped in a way it has not seen since 2011 because of how things have been lining up in recent weather patterns.

Great.

I live in Dixie and it will be very interesting to see how things are looking in mid to late February.

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so just more talk of what everyone has been saying lately: This year Dixie Alley MAY get its donkey whooped in a way it has not seen since 2011 because of how things have been lining up in recent weather patterns.

Great.

I live in Dixie and it will be very interesting to see how things are looking in mid to late February.
That's a bit early. The MJO has gone back into the Pacific, and that helps drive the pattern suppression we have seen so far this winter. It doesn't mean we won't have any threats, but the main action likely isn't going to start that soon. The MJO will head back toward phases supportive of traditional La Nina forcing deeper into February. I think the main action starts to pick up with time in March, and especially in April.

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 5801

1611943532496.png

Here's a look at the SSTAs as of a couple days ago from an alternate source. We've seen a few times this year that the daily CDAS numbers from Tidbits has been off a few 0.XC. Regardless of what those numbers have, this shows that we have a screaming +TNI in place now, further backing up your thoughts about it intensifying, and we're already seeing the classic, textbook -PDO horseshoe configuration developing, which continues to intensify, as you have mentioned.

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
1611943817283.png
Here is the Euro projection of the MJO through the end of February. We see it in a low to mid amplification through the western Pacific now. That continues through at least the first half of February before it deamplifies and heads toward the "circle of death". Once it is there, the La Nina background state will have nothing holding it back from being the pattern driver for the pattern as we head into March and April. This is a classic configuration for holding the pattern suppressed until the start of spring severe season so that the polar jet does not shift north of Dixie Alley until it does what it wants to in March and April, and we have seen this in several of the high profile analog years previously mentioned in this thread.

KevinH

Reaction score
That's a bit early. The MJO has gone back into the Pacific, and that helps drive the pattern suppression we have seen so far this winter. It doesn't mean we won't have any threats, but the main action likely isn't going to start that soon. The MJO will head back toward phases supportive of traditional La Nina forcing deeper into February. I think the main action starts to pick up with time in March, and especially in April.
Oops.. I should have clarified something. LOL! I was not saying that our severe events would start in February LOL. I read somewhere (probably on this thread I think) that there is going to be some change in mid to late February that will further "set the stage" for what we are thinking is going to happen in March and April. I cannot remember exactly what it was, but I believe the change I am thinking of is the MJO heading back.

I hope things do not pan out the way they have been trending, but time will tell, and I will keep watching (and asking questions lol).

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Overnight CDAS derived ENSO data on Tidbits has Region 1+2 now positive (+0.003), and Region 4 is still below -1 and dropping again (-1.058). That gives a TNI of +1.061, but we also know when comparing Tidbits numbers to CPC released weekly data that Tidbits has been 0.2-0.3 too warm with its Region 4 numbers, and it has varied in magnitude but has been a little too cold with warmer areas. Because of that, the TNI may actually be as high as +1.2 or higher and steadily climbing. This look below would certainly support that idea...

1612027248951.png

KevinH

Reaction score
Overnight CDAS derived ENSO data on Tidbits has Region 1+2 now positive (+0.003), and Region 4 is still below -1 and dropping again (-1.058). That gives a TNI of +1.061, but we also know when comparing Tidbits numbers to CPC released weekly data that Tidbits has been 0.2-0.3 too warm with its Region 4 numbers, and it has varied in magnitude but has been a little too cold with warmer areas. Because of that, the TNI may actually be as high as +1.2 or higher and steadily climbing. This look below would certainly support that idea...

View attachment 5806
So in other words....? lol

KevinH

Reaction score
It's everything we've already been talking about for a while in this thread...
OK, more of the same thing, got it!

I just came across these articles that were a little helpful:
https://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/climate-data/nino-sst-indices-nino-12-3-34-4-oni-and-tni &

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We've got a little mini event going on in northeast Oklahoma and northwest Arkansas.

KevinH

Reaction score
View attachment 5803
Here is the Euro projection of the MJO through the end of February. We see it in a low to mid amplification through the western Pacific now. That continues through at least the first half of February before it deamplifies and heads toward the "circle of death". Once it is there, the La Nina background state will have nothing holding it back from being the pattern driver for the pattern as we head into March and April. This is a classic configuration for holding the pattern suppressed until the start of spring severe season so that the polar jet does not shift north of Dixie Alley until it does what it wants to in March and April, and we have seen this in several of the high profile analog years previously mentioned in this thread.
Is the pattern flip of the MJO related (at all) to the bouts of cold weather we are expecting in February?

Back