• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Threat 25 March 2021

pohnpei

Reaction score
Really both are flawed. Won't ever have a peferct system I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Very true. The radar based EF scsle rating sometimes can have more flaws than the rating system we have now if the core of the tornado being too small or being too far away from radar. The ratio of the winds between ground and several thousand feet can be very very different in every single tornado. Also, the peak couplet can happen between two scans of radar.The radar based EF scale rating of Jarrell F5 or Harper 04 F4 can be very low. Even Smithville didn't have very impressive couplet when it hit the town.
What's more, even DOW based EF scale rating has some obvious flaws and often questioned by NWS when they give rating to tornados, let alone WSR-88D based EF scale rating.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Also the EF scale is strictly a damage scale with little if any attempts at accuracy for wind; the extreme difficulty at measuring it accurately, bordering on completely impossible for nearly all tornadoes due to varying distances from radar sites, makes rating by radar estimates fairly pointless. I still think the VROT should be listed on the survey though.

Reaction score
Also the EF scale is strictly a damage scale with little if any attempts at accuracy for wind; the extreme difficulty at measuring it accurately, bordering on completely impossible for nearly all tornadoes due to varying distances from radar sites, makes rating by radar estimates fairly pointless. I still think the VROT should be listed on the survey though.
So would be likely that debris being lofted 20k feet or higher into the air would be an EF4+ intensity tornado? Maybe even give or take 3,000 feet.

Jpgood97

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A huge pet peeve for me is for guesstimated ratings from non-survey mets via looking at pics!!
There’s no way you can say that ef5 is evident when you look at f/ef5 tornadoes from April 2011, or may 2011 in joplin, or either major tornadoes in Moore, OK. Maybe these are ridiculous beasts of nature that dilutes my opinion. Also the ef4’s of 2011 looked more violent than yesterday. Yes I know there is high and low end versions of each rating. Just stating my opinion, which is partially the purpose of a weather forum.

Reaction score
Very true. The radar based EF scsle rating sometimes can have more flaws than the rating system we have now if the core of the tornado being too small or being too far away from radar. The ratio of the winds between ground and several thousand feet can be very very different in every single tornado. Also, the peak couplet can happen between two scans of radar.The radar based EF scale rating of Jarrell F5 or Harper 04 F4 can be very low. Even Smithville didn't have very impressive couplet when it hit the town.
What's more, even DOW based EF scale rating has some obvious flaws and often questioned by NWS when they give rating to tornados, let alone WSR-88D based EF scale rating.
Kind of like the EF4 tornado from Cookeville, TN last year didn't have anything on radar to indicate its violence.

speedbump305

Reaction score
Honestly Smithville even though it didn’t have a very impressive couplet, produced very violent damage.

Evan

Reaction score
I’m honestly shocked they went with EF4. FCC is pretty conservative with their ratings. I was almost certain they’d go with high EF3. Maybe they’re not as dismissive and conservative these days.

Yup. I'm honestly shocked they went higher than EF2. Old school FFC was always extremely conservative with EF-ratings.

Argus

Reaction score
The fact that northeast Georgia had a tornado warning yesterday afternoon was the most surprising of the event. Granted I had sort of monitored the storm north of Atlanta all day.

In a sense, this was almost like 3/1/2007 where north and central Georgia got drenched that day and tornadoes were to my south. (That was one of the last big rain events before the drought of '07 hit). The north Georgia mountains received nearly 7 inches of rain in some spots yesterday.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tree damage near Greensboro, almost 100% of stems snapped off fairly low with some debarking maybe evident. Not nearly as violent as Bassfield, but certainly very comparable to Beauregard.

Matthew70

Reaction score
I’m a federal employee, and we have annual appraisals. That said, it’s based off the entire year and 1-2 days will not stand out. Had the cap over Mississippi degraded like models were projecting, the high risk for MS would have likely panned out.
No doubt last 2 weeks MS has been spared. Understand the 1-2 days but they have had 2 weeks of missing outlooks. Wx is not easy just surprising with the technology we have these days. I’m hoping they will scale back their High risks and moderate risks outlooks till day of. Last thing we need is complacency.

buckeye05

Reaction score
The initial path segment for the Greensboro/Brent tornado has been rated only EF1. However, the survey teams have yet to reach the area where it went absolutely crazy near Greensboro. There’s no doubt in my mind it was the most violent of the outbreak, but I’m wondering if it hit enough to be eligible for anything higher than EF3?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Some damage of Greensboro tornado. The debris pattern and tree damage was very violent stuff.

View attachment 7725View attachment 7726

There are several empty foundations visible in that video. I know an empty foundation isn't an obvious indicator of EF5 damage, though this was undoutedbly a violent tornado.

I just wish Chase had focused more on the empty foundations when filming rather than focusing on the media "money shots" of obviously weaker instances of damage.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
I wrote something about the damage near Greensboro.Pretty remarkable

pics in this tweet were screenshoted from this vid

Matthew70

Reaction score
I don’t mean to be rude, but I think it’s pretty obvious from what I’ve seen that ef5 damage didn’t occur. Even multiple ef4’s feel like a stretch imo. However, I’m not a professional doing surveys.
You are not only one that looks at some of this damage and wonder on the ratings. I’m not a professional either but I’ve seen way much worse damage get lower EF ratings.

Reactions: CAL
Logo 468x120
Back