• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Threat 25 March 2021

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
From what I heard from a guy on Twitter he said debris from the Newnan tornado was lofted over 15,000 feet into the air and that would be consistent with an EF3 tornado. However, of course Newnan was rated an EF4. I am not sure how debris being lofted into the air necessarily has anything to do with the intensity but I would think there would be at least some correlation.
I would also believe there is a correlation, though evidently using the height of lofted debris is a very hit-or-miss way to rate tornadoes.

Jpgood97

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don’t mean to be rude, but I think it’s pretty obvious from what I’ve seen that ef5 damage didn’t occur. Even multiple ef4’s feel like a stretch imo. However, I’m not a professional doing surveys.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
From what I heard from a guy on Twitter he said debris from the Newnan tornado was lofted over 15,000 feet into the air and that would be consistent with an EF3 tornado. However, of course Newnan was rated an EF4. I am not sure how debris being lofted into the air necessarily has anything to do with the intensity but I would think there would be at least some correlation.

The VROT/TDS height chart usually performs very well; I think the discrepancy lies in how close the tornado was to the radar site and the amount of debris which apparently hampers VROT resolution slightly. Either way I think it was within the margin of error for low EF4. Pretty rare to have a tornado rated STRONGER than suggested on the chart

Reaction score
The VROT/TDS height chart usually performs very well; I think the discrepancy lies in how close the tornado was to the radar site and the amount of debris which apparently hampers VROT resolution slightly. Either way I think it was within the margin of error for low EF4. Pretty rare to have a tornado rated STRONGER than suggested on the chart
I thought some tornadoes such as the Tuscaloosa tornado from 4/27 and the Bassfield tornado from last Easter lofted debris over 30,000 feet into air.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I’m honestly shocked they went with EF4. FCC is pretty conservative with their ratings. I was almost certain they’d go with high EF3. Maybe they’re not as dismissive and conservative these days.

pohnpei

Reaction score
I’m honestly shocked they went with EF4. FCC is pretty conservative with their ratings. I was almost certain they’d go with high EF3. Maybe they’re not as dismissive and conservative these days.
Me too. Based on the aerial video, I mean, the contextual damage overall didn't highly indicate of EF4 level strength with very little debarking or vehicle damage can see. But if the house did have anchor system, it is likely appropriate.

speedbump305

Reaction score
We do need to remember that surveys are still going and probably will be finished tomorrow afternoon. and it really pains me to say... but newnan wasn’t the only place that got hit besides franklin. :(

pohnpei

Reaction score
Very correct. The radar velocities may have actually been higher than bassfield
It just didn't higher than Bassfield or Greensboro and I have to remind that the caculatation of radar based EF scale rating have to consider the Height of the scan which was pretty low for Newnan tornado.
-28d3ba1273035c06.jpg

Logo 468x120