• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Random Comment Thread

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Yeah, pretty much every version of Windows after 7 has been a complete dumpster fire, though Windows 10 becomes marginally usable if installed on an SSD (it does not take kindly to mechanical drives, ask me how I know) and after installing Classic Shell, OldNewExplorer and Spybot Anti-Beacon to fix the UI and get rid of the creepy telemetery. Not much that can be done about the stability though, and you'd think with the constant multi-gigabyte forced updates they would have figured something out by now, but then again this is Microsoft we're talking about.

I'd honestly be 100% content using my Windows XP desktop for literally all of my daily tasks if I didn't need W10 for certain applications. Using the right browsers (currently using New Moon 28.10.2a1 and Mypal 68.12.3b) it can be made very usable with the modern internet - and this is regular XP SP3 without any of the unofficial service packs, kernel patches or the registry hack to get POSReady 2009 updates!
Time to switch to a MacBook. :)

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Time to switch to a MacBook. :)
A couple months ago I was forced back into the iPhone ecosystem by my older brother after refusing to touch Apple products with a ten foot pole for the better part of a decade, so getting a MacBook would be the logical next step - at least, if I was rich lol.

Money issues aside, the main thing preventing me from using a MacBook or a Linux distro for daily use is the fact that the programs I use are only available on (modern versions of) Windows - ArcGIS in particular is a power hungry application that would run horribly sluggish in a virtual machine, assuming it would run at all. Hell, even running on a Core i5 vPro paired with 8 gigs of ram the darn thing still freezes up!

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
A couple months ago I was forced back into the iPhone ecosystem by my older brother after refusing to touch Apple products with a ten foot pole for the better part of a decade, so getting a MacBook would be the logical next step - at least, if I was rich lol.

Money issues aside, the main thing preventing me from using a MacBook or a Linux distro for daily use is the fact that the programs I use are only available on (modern versions of) Windows - ArcGIS in particular is a power hungry application that would run horribly sluggish in a virtual machine, assuming it would run at all. Hell, even running on a Core i5 vPro paired with 8 gigs of ram the darn thing still freezes up!
You can get a mac with an M1 for under 1000. I would not get the I5 in a MacBook. I have one that I bought personally, and I have a MacBook that I use for the church with an M1. I wish I had the M1 instead of the I5.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
You can get a mac with an M1 for under 1000. I would not get the I5 in a MacBook. I have one that I bought personally, and I have a MacBook that I use for the church with an M1. I wish I had the M1 instead of the I5.
Windows 11 is in development for the M1 chip IIRC, so I suppose if I had a W11 installation used only for the Windows programs I need it to run and macOS for everything else (guess I should mention that I don't personally care for macOS either, especially the modern versions but it still beats the hell out of Windows post-7 and the travesty known as Chrome OS) it could be viable.

Ah man, now I gotta decide whether I should save up money for a new computer or a fresh paintjob for my rusty '88 F150...

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Windows 11 is in development for the M1 chip IIRC, so I suppose if I had a W11 installation used only for the Windows programs I need it to run and macOS for everything else (guess I should mention that I don't personally care for macOS either, especially the modern versions but it still beats the hell out of Windows post-7 and the travesty known as Chrome OS) it could be viable.

Ah man, now I gotta decide whether I should save up money for a new computer or a fresh paintjob for my rusty '88 F150...
I have already seen Windows 11 in action. It looks and feels just like a Mac. The difference is it has a brand-new paint job and looks like Chevy Corvette on the outside, but performs like a chevy cobalt on the inside.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this bizarre feature in the cloud deck while driving yesterday. I'm not sure what it is but my best guess is an airplane went through here at just the right altitude.
PXL_20230221_212112087~2.jpg

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
I saw this bizarre feature in the cloud deck while driving yesterday. I'm not sure what it is but my best guess is an airplane went through here at just the right altitude.
View attachment 18043
That's weird.

Just going by the photograph, I'd guess a sunlight effect of some sort, but ? what.

Reaction score
View attachment 18043
Really weird snaky funnel?

In other news testifying to how culture-blind I am (and perhaps to how busy 2022 was famous-death wise) I found out today that Olivia Newton-John died.....in August 2022.

EDIT: Autocorrect tried to make it "shaky funnel" and it gave me SyFy's next big disaster movie idea: QUAKENADO!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: KoD

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
TH2002, since In N Out is coming to Dixie Alley, is it worth the hype?

Meh, me and my family have long thought that In-N-Out is overhyped since Del Taco's burgers taste virtually the same for less money. I will give In-N-Out an edge over Del Taco for their buns and cheese, both of which are really good and probably the best as far as fast food burgers go. It's a treat when we go, but it's just not worth it to go there very often since they're overpriced and constantly swamped with cars.

Reaction score
Meh, me and my family have long thought that In-N-Out is overhyped since Del Taco's burgers taste virtually the same for less money. I will give In-N-Out an edge over Del Taco for their buns and cheese, both of which are really good and probably the best as far as fast food burgers go. It's a treat when we go, but it's just not worth it to go there very often since they're overpriced and constantly swamped with cars.
Ha, reminds me of when we had to drive to either Hattoesburg or Baton Rouge or wherever it was for Whataburger. Now there's one, like, 10 miles away from my house.

Jacob

Reaction score
I don’t get the hype with In N Out. I’ve had it a couple times, and it is way down my list if I’m looking for a fast food burger.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don’t get the hype with In N Out. I’ve had it a couple times, and it is way down my list if I’m looking for a fast food burger.
Even in the low income areas of 'Berdoo In-N-Out attracts customers like a magnet, which is honestly fairly surprising considering their prices. We go there maybe three or four times a year - Del Taco on the other hand, I visit two or three times a month ;)

As for what the best fast food burger is - I'm inclined to say Carl's Jr (aka Hardee's) but I usually get a chicken sandwich there when I'm over in Riverside every week. Places like McDonald's and Jack in the Box are what they are; definitely not the best, but I don't go there expecting a five star meal. Overall I'm gonna give the "best fast food burger" reward to a local place called George's Burgers - their burgers taste really good, and their combos are a literal box filled with fries and onion rings (don't forget the drink)! Priced fairly reasonably too, especially considering the amount of food they give you.

Jacob

Reaction score
Even in the low income areas of 'Berdoo In-N-Out attracts customers like a magnet, which is honestly fairly surprising considering their prices. We go there maybe three or four times a year - Del Taco on the other hand, I visit two or three times a month ;)

As for what the best fast food burger is - I'm inclined to say Carl's Jr (aka Hardee's) but I usually get a chicken sandwich there when I'm over in Riverside every week. Places like McDonald's and Jack in the Box are what they are; definitely not the best, but I don't go there expecting a five star meal. Overall I'm gonna give the "best fast food burger" reward to a local place called George's Burgers - their burgers taste really good, and their combos are a literal box filled with fries and onion rings (don't forget the drink)! Priced fairly reasonably too, especially considering the amount of food they give you.

I eat Del Taco probably once a week because it’s the closest food to my work, though I’ve never had a burger from there, mostly just tacos.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I eat Del Taco probably once a week because it’s the closest food to my work, though I’ve never had a burger from there, mostly just tacos.
The next time you go there you might want to consider trying a Double Del - it tastes very close to In-N-Out's burgers IMO, only better because Del Taco isn't nearly as expensive.

akt1985

Reaction score
TH2002, there used to be a Del Taco in Montgomery, Alabama and I agree their beef is superior to even Taco Bell despite Del Taco having similar prices to Taco Bell.

If you ever come to the South, you need to try Cook-Out. They are especially big in college towns. For $6, you can get a Cook-Out tray that includes an entree, two sides and a drink. The sides are beyond basic fries and include items like homemade chili, cheese curds, wraps and quesadillas.

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That really puts into perspective just how expensive it is to live in Cali... to eat for six bucks around here you can pick up two orders of two tacos from Jack in the Box and a drink from ExtraMile or 7-Eleven.

I have been to Nevada, Florida and Arizona (as a matter of fact, the external monitor I'm hooked up to right now was purchased at a thrift store in Kingman) but I hear Californians have quite the reputation in some states these days...

Back