• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Random Comment Thread

Jacob

Reaction score
Trying to both buy and sell a home at the same time in this current housing market is a royal pain in the butt

Ok, so only half of this process is proving to be difficult. In this market I could've run my car into the front of my house before putting it on the market and it would've sold in a week.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Ok, so only half of this process is proving to be difficult. In this market I could've run my car into the front of my house before putting it on the market and it would've sold in a week.
Good luck in Utah!

I also wanted to share some news from Siberia (the part of Russia I sympathize with these days, in some ways). It's burning. And yes, fatal traffic accidents reportedly are occurring in that smoke, though they made it in this video:

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

locomusic01

Reaction score
Briefly hijacking this thread because I don't wanna keep starting new ones for random questions: anybody here do any work with audio (Youtube videos, voiceovers, podcasts, whatever)? I'm thinking about dipping my toes into making either videos or a podcast, so I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations for a reasonably priced mic. Preferably dynamic + USB since I no longer have an audio interface or a place that'd be suitable to record w/a condenser.

I used to run a small studio so I always kept up with the latest gear and whatnot, but apparently my brain reformatted that partition because I can't remember a damn thing anymore lol

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
What happened? (as in why did you punch it)
Windows 10 has never been as stable as Windows 7, yet I need it to run certain programs like ArcGIS - but some programs like Google Earth Pro that ran fine on Windows 7 don't run fine on Windows 10 (might be some hardware specific issues here too, but I digress). So yes, some programs crash, and sometimes when programs crash they take hours of hard work with them. I also have issues with anger (and intrusive thoughts, but that's another topic) so combining that with random program crashes is a dangerous combination...

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I feel your pain after having lost sooooooo much to computers.

I was once installing vinyl siding on a house. Across the front there were 2 bay windows with the front door in between. I did one side from the corner to the door from ground to 7 ft, then did the other side, and when I got to the top of the door there was a ~2" difference. I was pissed. I'd been careful to follow my torpedo level round the bays, and now I was out of an hour's work. I checked the level and it was off, and now I was REALLY pissed, so much so that I laid the level on the concrete porch smashing it with my hammer as I cussed it loudly. Unknown to me the man I was working for had stepped around the corner watching then he said "Phil, what in the hell are you doing?" I pointed at the unmatched siding and told him that my level had lied to me causing that, and I was making sure it never told a lie to anyone ever again. He damn near fell over laughing, and when he finally was able to speak he said "You're right- you fixed that level really well now. Calm down a minute and I'll get you mine, but you gotta promise to not beat it to death". Now it was my turn to almost fall over laughing thinking about how it all had to look to him :p He said I was still on the clock, just go back and fix it and don't worry about it :cool:

I don't know if there's a moral to my story but sometimes $#!+ happens and there's nothing you can do about it except figure out what went wrong and try again.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That is amazing!!!

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
And this is why I’m in therapy… at the moment I can’t afford to replace the damn screen again so I’ll be stuck using an external monitor for a while. Totally ready to downgrade to Windows 7 by this point
6B9A829E-0789-4A1B-B32F-808D772070D9.jpeg

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
When my W7 laptop died, I thought my first new laptop in W8.1 would be a better OS. Absolute proof that I can be stupid.

I swore to learn Linux after that though I haven't. But I am so totally tired of the ever-changing BS that cannot be made backward-compatible to work with your current programs, and of changes in access and options seemingly made for changes sake alone, and this coming from a very basic user...
I can';t imagine the hell you're going through at that level but I feel for ya.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
When my W7 laptop died, I thought my first new laptop in W8.1 would be a better OS. Absolute proof that I can be stupid.

I swore to learn Linux after that though I haven't. But I am so totally tired of the ever-changing BS that cannot be made backward-compatible to work with your current programs, and of changes in access and options seemingly made for changes sake alone, and this coming from a very basic user...
I can';t imagine the hell you're going through at that level but I feel for ya.
Yeah, pretty much every version of Windows after 7 has been a complete dumpster fire, though Windows 10 becomes marginally usable if installed on an SSD (it does not take kindly to mechanical drives, ask me how I know) and after installing Classic Shell, OldNewExplorer and Spybot Anti-Beacon to fix the UI and get rid of the creepy telemetery. Not much that can be done about the stability though, and you'd think with the constant multi-gigabyte forced updates they would have figured something out by now, but then again this is Microsoft we're talking about.

I'd honestly be 100% content using my Windows XP desktop for literally all of my daily tasks if I didn't need W10 for certain applications. Using the right browsers (currently using New Moon 28.10.2a1 and Mypal 68.12.3b) it can be made very usable with the modern internet - and this is regular XP SP3 without any of the unofficial service packs, kernel patches or the registry hack to get POSReady 2009 updates!

Back